“What? Did you just double-dog dare me?”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of B Bryan Preserve

B Bryan Preserve
More attraction details
Owner description: B Bryan Preserve is committed to the breeding and preservation of African hoof stock. Located on 110 acres, the preserve features upscale lodging along with tours by reservation. Critically endangered Rothschild Giraffe, Grevy's zebra, Hartmann's Mountain Zebra along with Kudu, Roan and Sable antelope are thriving in large open fields.Make us your base for discovering the Mendocino coast. The small town of Point Arena has a working pier on one end and a historic lighthouse on the other with African Hoof Stock in the middle.
Brentwood, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“What? Did you just double-dog dare me?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

While staying with my 9-year-old son (aka Primo) on the Mendocino coast last weekend, I decided to book a "safari" at the B Bryan Preserve at the last minute. I had considered a similar experience in the Santa Rosa area, but the timing worked out better at B Bryan. Wow! While it is clearly a small Mom-and-Pop operation, it is just as clear that they know what they are doing. Judy ran the tour, and had a great sense of humor ("while it's ok to breed with your cousins where I'm from, we try to diversify here and import boyfriends for our animals" or something along those lines).

First stop (after a quick background and history) - the zebra barn. That's right, I was in a barn, less than ten feet from a zebra. Yeah, some other people (including my eldest son) were there, but I couldn't see them - I was hanging out with a zebra! Next, another barn, with a slightly different variety of zebra (sorry, ADHD prevents me from telling you the precise details of the varietal), but this time it was a dude zebra and his girlfriend. They bickered like an old married couple ("Stop hoggin' all the grain, you fat @ss!" - "What? It's not like you couldn't stand to miss a few meals yourself!") and it was freakin' awesome. Kinda like watching zebra reality tv.

We jumped on the landrover and headed out to see some antelopey type of animals (seriously, they tell you all the info, and if you pay attention, you could probably learn a lot), and I got a picture of Primo grinning in front of the herd. Some antelope foreplay occurred, but thankfully, the female was feeling all PMS and said "Oh HELL no!" so I didn't have to give any impromptu biology lessons to my child (Um, they're wrestling, honey...).

Around this time, a shy girl in the group needed to use the facilities, and really, there aren't any. But she wasn't having any of the "We all promise to avert our eyes", so Judy offered to let her use one of their cottages at the next stop - the giraffe barn. I, in stealth research mode, said casually, "After she's done, do you mind if I take a peek at the cottage?", and Judy said yes. I'm happy to report it looked really nice. The only drawback is the 2-night minimum and the double beds (my husband is 6'3" and would likely sleep diagonally, leaving me in the fetal position in the corner), but you have giraffe barn right next door, so it would probably be worth snuggling....

Speaking of giraffes, they have a freakishly tall barn with a mezzanine level, so those of us who aren't 18 feet tall can casually lean over and hand a giraffe a carrot or an apple. Yep, you read that right, we fed giraffes! After that, she let the giraffes out, and we all headed outside, where Judy took our pictures while we held up an apple and had a giraffe swoop down to eat it. But then, she told us that if you hold an apple in your mouth, the giraffe will "kiss" you for the treat. The two adult guys in the group eagerly went for it, and then Judy said, "I have one more apple, do you want to do it"? Being a demure girl, I declined. The she followed up with, "Come on, you're a daredevil!", and well, I think we all know how this story ends....

In conclusion, HIGHLY recommend the B Bryan Preserve. It cost $30 for me and $15 for the boy for an approximately 1.5 hour tour.

4 Thank ShesaBadMammaJamma
NorthernCACoastlady, Owner at B Bryan Preserve, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thanks for the great review. Will work on that King size bed!

Carefree, Arizona
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Fascinating Visit to a Wildlife Preserve for African Animals”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

We were a bit skeptical as we drove the two hours from Santa Rosa to Point Arena out on the coast, but any reservations were forgotten as we met the animals. B Bryan Preserve is a 110 acre facility for raising and protecting primarily endangered species among the zebra, giraffe and antelope families. All three major groups of zebra are present, one endangered type of giraffe, and numerous African antelopes and sables. The animals are spread out in large fenced areas, and appear to be treated very well by the owner, Frank, and others at the preserve. The animals are indeed spectacular, close to you, and able to show their personality. The most fun is feeding the giraffes, but spending time around the zebras was an equal experience. About 11 people were in our group, so the time with the animals was not as part ofa crowd. it was a very special day.

2 Thank AJandMR
Hillsborough, California
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Can't beat meeting Zebras and Giraffes on the California Coast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

How can you pass up seeing Zebras and Giraffes plus other African species up close? Kudos to Judy and Frank for creating this special preserve and doing some good work to save such animals and teach people like me and my children something special. I loved learning more about the 3 species of Zebra and how to tell them apart. Never thought I would see all 3 together in a natural setting. Same for other species. Wow, how often do you get to climb into an authentic safari Land Rover and zip through the countryside chasing animals! My family and the kids loved it and more importantly learned something new which is always a good thing. We topped of the Trek by feeding the Giraffes. I got to put some Acacia leaves in my mouth and the Giraffe was very affectionate as he licked up the leaves! I would definitely tell you to get off the couch or take some time away from the pool for a few hours if visiting the area. It was also very reasonably priced for a family of 4 with adults and children. We stayed in Sea Ranch so we made this site and visiting the Point Arena Light house a great half day diversion.

Mendocino, California
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“A Wonderful Gem on the Mendocino Coast!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

We have lived in Mendocino for several years and just recently learned about this amazing preserve in Point Arena, CA. and had yet to see it. Our 3 year old grand daughter recently visited with us so we decided to take her for our first visit. It was the best thing we could have done.
The preserve is operated by a lovely couple who in their own words:

"B Bryan Preserve has been actively committed to the breeding and preservation of African hoof Stock for over a decade. Now located in Point Arena, California, our animals range from critically endangered to endangered and include various species of zebra, giraffe, and antelope. Not a zoo, but a private preserve housing majestic African animals in large open fields".

The tour takes place in an open air Land Rover with bench seats which offered great views as we drove around the 110 acre preserve. The age range of those on the tour went from 3 (our grand daughter) to more mature (my wife and I :-) ) and everyone was equally entertained and amazed. The tour consists of riding in the land rover and walking all accompanied by very informed and interesting dialogue by the preserve owners, Judy and Frank. We had the opportunity to hang around with some very critically endangered species of zebra (Grevy) while they ate dinner, no cages or barriers between us. Watched "elvis" the zebra eat in his barn area, and saw antelope out in large pasture areas.
The high point for all of us however was the giraffes. We got to feed them while they were out in a field and then again in a barn which had a platform that was at the level of the giraffes head so we were face to face with them! Our grand daughter and the other children present along with all the adults had a great time feeding the giraffe, did you know they have black tongues?
I could go on and on, suffice it to say we had a great time and would highly recommend this tour to folks of all ages. The money from the tours goes toward supporting the preserve which means you can have a great time and help preserve endangered species at the same time.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank BabyBoomerNorCal
Eureka, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“AMAZING experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

We took the grandkids to this wonderful place today. The animals are magnificent. Judy took us for the grand tour and we learned so much from her. This is so inspiring and our young grandkids took in every word. They took lots of pictures and we shall hold the memory of this land and experience for years to come. Next time we may stay in a guest cabin. If you are on the Mendocino coast, you must not miss this preserve. You can tell Judy and Frank love what they do...they are totally dedicated and are to be admired and respected. I loved the Zebras!! I wanted to take the baby zebra home. This is a super tour...don't miss it!

Visited June 2013