“Very very good experience”
Review of Taste

Taste
Ranked #1 of 13 Restaurants in Plymouth
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Mineral
Description: Taste is dedicated to providing our guests with the highest quality service, food, beverage and ambiance. We strive to be innovative, leaders in our field and to make a difference in our community. Taste was the first restaurant in the Sacramento region to be invited to cook at the prestigious James Beard House in over twenty-five years. Taste is rated by ZAGAT as one of the Top Restaurants in America. The food is reflective of the seasons and utilizing local producers. The service is fun and knowledgeable. Dinner: Thursday - Tuesday Lunch: Friday, Saturday and Sunday. thirteen dollar thursday at the wine bar - every thursday enjoy an appetizer and beverage pairing for just thirteen dollars. monday supper - every monday a three-course prix fixe menu is served for thirty dollars, in addition to regular menu. Two-course meal for twenty-two dollars every tuesday in addition to the regular menu. corkage free the second thursday of the month. wine bar offers bar menu and dinner menu. menus for vegan, vegetarian and gluten intolerant diets always available.
San Mateo
“Very very good experience”
Reviewed May 3, 2014

I would go back again and again. Great food, excellent service, nice location. Plymouth is not a very big town, but Taste brings a big city meal to a rather remote location. It makes a trip to the Gold Country extra special.

El Dorado Hills, California
“Wine and Lunch”
Reviewed May 3, 2014

We have been to taste many times always have had great meals. We always split an order of gnocchi for an appetizer then have a main dish. The ingredients are so delicious and complex you will want to save your menu to identify the ingredients. The service is always excellent. This is one of our all time favorite restaurants. A new dessert Strawberry shortcake is worth sharing, pretty terrific.

Occidental, California
“A Tad Overrated”
Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

Taste is indeed a delightful restaurant, a pleasure visually with a winning staff but the food can disappoint.
The chef has a wonderful hand with mushrooms. But check carefully on preparation before ordering and you may avoid such disappointments as wonderfully fresh asparagus ruined by breading and a deep fry, pungent aioli seeing into everything. I think the less they fuss the better the dish.

Visited March 2014
Naples, Florida
“Unexpected Pleasure”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

If you've looked at restaurants in Plymouth CA, the heart of the Amador County wine country, you know there is lot a lot to choose from. We've visited the area a couple of times previously, but those visits were on weekdays when Taste is not open for lunch. This trip was on a Saturday, so we were able to visit Taste at lunnchtime, and were very pleasantly surprised. Taste offers a big-city dining experience in a very small town, an unexpected pleasure.

I had a pasta dish including smoked salmon; the cream sauce was very lemony, a great counterpoint to the fish. My friend had a cod dish which she also enjoyed immensely. For dessert, we split a crème brulee which was as good as any I've enjoyed anywhere. The walnut bread which accompanied the meal was truly delicious! Service was excellent as well.

Taste is well worth a visit!

Folsom, California
“"ooh, ahhh, oh!"”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

“…ooh, ahhh, oh!” is what I said when my “Chocolate, Chocolate, Chocolate” dessert was placed in front of me. My wife and I went to Taste for the Easter Brunch but opted instead for salads, appetizers, small plates, and dessert from the regular lunch menu. Nothing wrong with the $35 Prix Fixe brunch special (Dungeness Crab salad, NY steak medallions w/ veggies and Lemon cake). Everyone near our table who ordered the brunch special seemed very happy with their choice. But this visit was our first experience at Taste and we wanted to sample more of the regular menu. Good decision!

Our meal began with a glass of sparkling wine for the appetizer and salad courses. As a first course, my wife and I each ordered the House Signature appetizer – the “Mushroom Cigars,” which are sliced oyster, crimini and shitake mushrooms wrapped with fresh herbs and goat cheese and baked in phyllo. Voted Best Appetizer by the editors of Sacramento Magazine for good reason! Next were our salads. My wife ordered the Blackpepper Cheesecake salad, which included Grimaud Farms smoked duck, arugula, candied walnut, and huckleberry vinaigrette. Incredible flavors! I ordered the Lettuce Cups, four individual leafs of butter lettuce topped with Pork Belly and other goodies. Again, the tastes were memorable.

My wife’s entrée was a large bowl of Asparagus soup with a mound of pressed parmesan cheese in the center of the bowl. A WOW! moment occurred our excellent server, Thomas, poured the soup from a small porcelain pitcher into the bowl at the table. (Thomas provided outstanding service throughout the entire meal. He was very attentive without being intrusive.) My entrée was the Rack of Lamb, two lamb chops perfectly cooked medium-rare and served with a mound of tiny cubed pears, which had been baked in what appeared to me to be a delicate clove sauce. Yes, the flavors popped! My beverage choice for the lamb was a glass of Oregon Pinot Noir.

Since we were eating from the lunch menu, we had room for dessert. My wife ordered the Strawberry Shortcake, which was served beautifully with discrete elements arrayed in an elongated white dish. I ordered the “Chocolate, Chocolate, Chocolate” dessert, which features White Chocolate, Dark Chocolate and Chocolate Mousse. Hence, the title of this review. I was glad I still had some of the Pinot Noir to enjoy with my chocolate.

All in all, a very special occasion! Taste fully deserves its outstanding reputation for food and service. The restaurant was well worth the hour’s scenic drive from our home. We will definitely be returning to sample the dinner menu which offers an expanded list of entrees. I’m particularly eager to try the Duck Confit. The chef changes the menu seasonally, so there is always something new to try. Taste is located near the Shenandoah Valley wine region, so the restaurant is an excellent dinner option after a day of wine tasting. “Traveling the world one meal at a time…”

1 Thank DSteveCA