“Worse Than Average”

Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Pleasanton
Oakhurst, California
“Worse Than Average”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

I selected this hotel on the basis of the manager having taken the time to answer each negative comment, and promise change. Well, she was replaced, and I found an interim manager in residence.

The worn look of the rooms has been documented in past ratings. The furniture looked like it was from a second hand store. They evidently have not been restored to acceptable condition for the price charged. The food at the breakfast buffet, not up to par with even a Best Western Plus. One previous complaint was only one waffle maker for the food service. The first day we tried their breakfast, there was only one waffle maker and people were lined up waiting. So much for the promised change. However, the next day, another unit was brought out..

All of our previous experiences with Residence Inns have been positive. This was our first, and last experience with this location. We also did not realize that their trade mark fireplaces were not in all rooms, and sorely missed that part of the Residence experience. I had seen them in the the picture on their home page.

Another reviewer mentioned the pool and it not being well used. That's because it's between buildings and does not get that much sun. I never saw anyone even near the pool.

My son and daughter-in-law, also staying in the same building, had similar experiences with their accommodations. He had to redo his key card every time we returned, as entrance to our building required a valid card. This meant a trip to the main building.

This was/is not a worthy hotel.

However, the one thing that stood out in a positive way was the staff. They were all friendly and tried to resolve problems within their ability.

Room Tip: If you want a fireplace, request one. It's not a standard for their newer building.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Joel G
Margie J, General Manager at Residence Inn Pleasanton, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Joel,

I am so sorry that your experience with us was not a positive one. And apologies as well if your feedback to our previous General Manager was not followed up on. I can only imagine how frustrating that must have been for you.

We are looking to upgrade our food selections starting this year and hope to improve both the quality and the selection.

And yes, unfortunately only a small number of our rooms have fireplaces. If you would consider returning to us for a visit, I would love to check to see if we could secure one of these for you.

Margie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

I've stayed here a number of times over the past few months and have had nothing but good experiences. The rooms are nice, clean, nice size TV with plenty of channels.

The breakfast buffet in the mornings is quite good. (You don't get a breakfast next door in the Marriott)

The dinners in the evening aren't great but they fill a gap. I usually went over to the Mall for dinner anyway.

The staff here are super friendly - I was on first name terms with quite a few of them and they doubled up as tour guides - very helpful!

The pool is nice, usually nobody in it too which is good. The gym is small but has enough equipment.

This will always be my first choice if I'm staying in the area!

Room Tip: Try and get a top floor and on the pool side of the back building or front building (away from the r...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Staff_hotel, General Manager at Residence Inn Pleasanton, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Thanks so much for sharing comments on your recent stay with us. So glad to hear the positive feedback on our staff! We try to make all our guests feel like they are part of the family here at our hotel.

Thanks also for the comments on the social hour food selection. We will upgrading the items and providing more of a variety in the coming weeks, so please let us know if you see a positive difference on your next stay with us.

Best wishes for a very happy holiday,

Margie
Bay Area, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

After having stayed at other Residence Inn locations which I enjoyed, I was surprised at the condition of this location. The one bedroom suite I occupied for business was worn, with nicked-up/marred furnishings, outdated furniture, damp carpeting in spots (spills from the former guest?), and an unusual unpleasant odor throughout the whole building. When I went to load the dishwasher in the kitchenette area, pulling on the door handle led to the entire dishwasher being pulled out of the cabinet! And as others commented, the fridge took hours to produce any ice so mixed drinks in the room were delayed. But what I will add is that the staff were very polite and helpful and my room was dead-quiet which was just what I needed to do some pre-conference business work. Internet service worked well. The bed was reasonably comfortable, but be aware that a queen size bed is as big as you get here. For the price, it was not a very good value and I would not stay here again nor recommend it to other travelers. Better options are close by.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Staff_hotel, General Manager at Residence Inn Pleasanton, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments during your recent stay with us. My apologies for the condition of the room and equipment. I will work with our housekeeping and engineering staff to fix these items for any future guests.

I am glad to hear that the service your experienced from our staff was positive and that they were helpful. We would appreciate the chance to provide a much better stay in the future. If you would consider returning, I would love to offer you a one night complimentary stay.

Margie Johnston
SF
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

This hotel is right next to an other Marriott so it is a bit confusing to find the place. This hotel is great for a family stay because you get a small, well equipped, kitchen and full size fridge. The grounds have a pool and serve breakfast which is really quite good. Over all it was a good place to stay not too far from Mt. Diablo, which is a fantastic place to visit. One thing I didn't like is that it was so Isolated. There is really no where to walk to or visit in the area if you don't have a car. It is along side a big business park so it is not ideal. There is a shopping mall close by but I wouldn't take a walk there.
Can anyone tell me when it became acceptable to go to a public breakfast room in your pajamas? I was surprised how many adults came to breakfast in their pjs. We don't need to see your sleepwear - I didn't know they made onesies for adults - keep them in the bedroom please.

Room Tip: a room close to the pool is comfortable.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Staff_hotel, General Manager at Residence Inn Pleasanton, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Thanks for sharing your comments with us on your recent stay at the hotel. I also wanted to remind you for any future visits that our complimentary hotel shuttle will take you and your guests within a three mile radius of the hotel, for dining, and shopping, including the mall across the street.

Best wishes for a very happy holiday and we hope to have you visit with us again in the future.

Margie Johnston
Seattle, Washington, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed two nights. The room was clean, the staff was efficient and pleasant. The pool area was small and in between two buildings so it gets very little sun. The breakfast was good. The place is looking a little worn. Overall I would say it is a decent place.

Stayed October 2013
Orange County, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

My husband & I stayed one night before attending a Raider game in Oakland. I chose Pleasanton because it's a short drive into Oakland & it's a much nicer area. There were some nice shopping centers with great restaurants nearby & the location was safe and close to the freeway. Overall we were happy with our stay; the hotel is nice, room was clean & had a full kitchen. Continental breakfast was included and although our stay was short we would definitely stay here again if we were in the area.

My only complaint is that when we got to our hotel room it was absolutely FREEZING COLD! Not just cold but freezing...the thermostat was set to 43 degrees! It was 10:30pm and it took a good hour for the room to warm up after turning the heater on & keeping the door open to let the cold air out. We had a good laugh since we had no warm clothes and did whatever we could to get warm including sharing the one pair of socks we had. We didn't let it ruin our trip but hopefully the hotel will check the room temps when people check out because I doubt that was purposely set so low.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_Residence_Inn, General Manager at Residence Inn Pleasanton, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear Mrs Madrid,

Thank you for your review and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our suites and the location. I will work with our housekeeping team to make sure our rooms are set to a comfortable temperature for our guests. If you are planning a return trip to the Pleasanton area, please consider choosing our hotel again.

Debbie Gudmundson, General Manager
Residence Inn by Marriott-Pleasanton
Fort Worth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

The pool on the website looks nothing like the pool at the hotel. It must be an old picture. I expected it to be better - instead, I just got average. The hotel next door was much better - a great place for drinks and hanging out, plus it had an awesome pool. It is close to the fairgrounds, so it gets points for that.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank d2davis
GM_Residence_Inn, General Manager at Residence Inn Pleasanton, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear d2davis,
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. I apologize that our pool was not what you expected, but I am pleased you enjoyed our location near the Alameda County fairgrounds. Thank you for being our guest.

Debbie Gudmundson, General Manager