“road trip”

Four Points by Sheraton Pleasanton
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Pleasanton
Reviewed August 1, 2013

this hotel has exceeded all expectation! I booked because I needed a room for one night reasonably close to San Jose and I had points, I expected an off the interstate hotel, no frills especially with the Four Points brand. That isn't the case at all. Each room has a balcony or patio overlooking a very pleasant garden ringed by a pond/stream. The rooms are very clean and by the looks of it, just remodeled. I had a king bed room which is probably 450sf at least. Great staff, close to all and just a stones throw from the interstate. I highly recommend this hotel if in the Pleasanton area.

Room Tip: try downtown Pleasanton, very trendy area with lots of good eats.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank AnthonyVA

Reviewed August 1, 2013

This is actually in two parts, the hotel and the catering provided by Faz Catering, 7-26-13 to 7-27-13.
After a two-night stay for my niece’s wedding, I can attest to others comments on some issues. And yes folks, management is very aware of most the issues they have!
Courteous and attentive staff was responsive to all issues and requests that we brought to their attention. Front office manager Phyllis Sparks, and her staff, Diana, Rachel, Shavonna, Annie and all the rest, did an excellent job dealing with us and other guests professionally.

The lobby, very clean & modern, gives a very good first impression. After the walk to our room #601 and entering the interior hall, the heat was almost as warm as the outside temperature of 82+ degrees and had a musty odor due to the lack of ventilation. Our room was clean and a comfortable 74 degrees. No fridge or microwave but we knew that going in, a single cup coffee maker, one bottle of water was the extent of morning fare in the room, request for a couple of extra bottles was quickly met and was told that any additional bottles would cost $3.00/each. Since the water from the tap is not the best for drinking or making coffee in the morning the need for drinking water is a priority. For the price paid, I’d suggest having more bottled water in the rooms and some form of water available in the lobby for guests checking in.
The grounds were nice and relatively clean, but dealing with pepper trees throughout the property can be a daunting task! Those employees who we encountered worked very hard. But it appears for the size of the grounds, the number of staff to take care of it seems awfully small. Pool & Jacuzzi were very clean and refreshing. Thanks to Dan Deuel, Aaron and Jorge for assisting us with our particular needs. All in all the stay was comfortable and the staff did a great job to accommodate.

On to the wedding and reception…
Thanks to Candace the event coordinator and her staff with Faz Catering, the event came off great. Ceremony was set in the park like area next to the pool, gazebo on a deck, chairs arraigned (THANKS APRIL!!) for guests to see the alter area clearly. Staff once again, very accommodating when the wedding started almost an hour late. Reception was held in the banquet room above Faz Restaurant. A special thanks to Enrique Tello, our bartender, who kept the Don Julio on ice, YOU ROCK!
Service and food were good, but once again the drinking water served in pitchers with ice, sent a few guests (including myself) off to find bottled water. Would suggest perhaps adding lemon slices to make it more palatable. A great time was had by all, however the only complaint was the downstairs restaurant, bar and lobby doors were locked by 10:00PM so wedding guests who went outside, that where not staying at the hotel, had no card-key to get back inside! This created a very frustrating issue for many, including the bride & groom. Perhaps clearer communication ahead of time with the staff & those attending the event may help. (or possibly providing attendees not staying at the hotel with a limited access key?)

So, would I recommend this facility for an event or a stay? Yes, however do your best to courteously approach staff with any issues you may have and you’ll probably have a pleasant visit.
CT out...

Room Tip: While the 600 block may not have ventillated inner corridors, it is much quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank CTinSO
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We loved this hotel. Our daughters play on club soccer teams so we routinely spend weekends traveling in California and staying at hotels. My wife and I both enjoyed the Four Points by Sheraton more than any hotel we've been to in the past six months during these soccer weekends.
The rooms are larger than at most hotels. Those extra couple of feet in hallway and main room's width and length make a huge difference when 3 or 4 people spend the weekend together. The beds were comfy and the room was clean, no problem walking around barefoot.
The pool is a big rectangle, perfect for swimming laps with a deep end and room for both kids and adults plus a nice hot tub area. Clean water and plenty of lounge space. I didn't measure the pool, but I estimate it to be about 25 yards long and 12 yards wide.
We also loved the nature paths in the walking area between buildings and the small pond with fountains. One night was so quiet we left our sliding door open to hear the sound of the water in the fountains. There are also citrus trees on the property: orange and lemon (lime too?).
The rooms have a little balcony or patio, depending on which floor you're on. A nice way to relax outside and read or just chat with others.
Staff was friendly and super responsive to our one minor issue upon a mix-up at arrival. We didn't eat at the restaurant but plan to on our return as it looked very good. There are plenty of restaurants within a short walk of 1/2 mile or less. Very quiet and safe neighborhood.
We'll be back next time in Pleasanton area for sure.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2013

When you book an inexpensive hotel don't look for an outstanding experience. We booked this hotel to save on expenses and we were very happy with it. We would book it again. The room was clean and fresh. The pool and spa were well maintained. The reception desk staff were helpful. We went to happy hour on a Wednesday. It was full with local professional people in the area. Prices were fine.
The weak link is the restaurant. We attempted to go to the restaurant for breakfast on Thursday morning at 10:20am ( buffet). All the food was dried out; and no one was available to seat us . We went back to the desk. A young woman apologized to us and recommended a great place down the road.
The way I look at is if your name is on the door, you have some responsibility to see that it is adequate, even if it is not owned and operated by the named company- Sheraton.
All in all the hotel was comfortable, clean and the grounds were well maintained. I would return for a comfortable, family-oriented stay, knowing that I am not getting nor paying for a high-end hotel.

Room Tip: We were happy in Building 5.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This hotel is a history buff’s dream. I can’t exactly pinpoint the era when the building was erected, but it had to be some time during the Great Depression. I do feel much more comfortable, though, guessing the last time the carpets were cleaned: during the Nixon administration (in the first term, mind you). Talking about the carpets, they are beautifully decorated with shapeless stains of an unknown origin, and on top of them survive crumbs, dust and multiple reminders of guests long gone. Perhaps the vaccum cleaner is in need of repair? And the smell… ah, the smell! So overpowering, yet so difficult to describe. I’ll do my best to depict the aroma that punches you in the face every time you enter the building from the outside. It’s a curious mix of mold, mildew, rancid tobacco and a hint, just a hint of old urine. When I mentioned all of the above to the manager, he responded, verbatim: “It’s an old property”. As much as I did appreciate the age of the building, I must say that age and filth do not necessarily go hand in hand. My grampa died of old age when he was 90, and he showered every day of his life. In the manager’s defense I will say that he offered to move me to another foul smelling room, which I declined. A credit? No. Some points to compensate for my suffering? Neither. However, the girls at the front desk did give me an ice cream at no charge. Whoa! I’m sure at this time a question comes to mind… will I ever return? The answer is yes, of course! I want to be the first one to greet the demolition crew, and once the dust has settled I will dance, I will sing, and I will buy everyone a drink!

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Dan B
Tom B, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Pleasanton, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear Mr. Dan B Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us at the Four Points Pleasanton. I do recall speaking to you and appreciate the fact that our customers will take the time to comment on the things we do well and the areas we most need to improve. As mentioned our stream was in the process of being repaired and I am happy to report that this project has since been completed. Although I have only been here a short time, as mentioned in my conversation with you, my team and I take great pride in our hotel and consider all feedback, both positive and negative, as a tool for improvement. Again I apologize for what you experienced and hope that if you are ever back in Pleasanton you will reach out to me directly so that I may be given the opportunity to change your mind.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

We booked three nights for Father's Day weekend. When we checked in round about 3:30pm on Friday, we were told no upper level room available. We were given ground floor room #311 which smelled pretty bad with strong musty odor probably from the tatty carpet. They were able to change our room to #552 the next day. We were very happy with that room which was much cleaner and brighter on the upper level, until I saw spider webs in two of the ceiling corners above our bed. It took the housekeeping 20 mins to come and clean those up with a broom. Unfortunately they let the black spider ran free hiding somewhere. That worried me the whole night!
Front desk staff were friendly and helpful. Yet the cleaning staff talked so loud to each other in the corridor that could easily serve as wake up calls which I didn't need.

Room Tip: Upstairs room in 500 block
Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shirley0929
Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for 3 nights on a business trip. I'll be commuting to this area for several nights every other week and was excited to find an SPG hotel as these are always excellent when I visit Asia.

This property is older and aging ungracefully.

The rooms in the 400 block smell slightly musty and are very dated. The TV predates HDMI for example! Wifi service has great signal but a clunky interface that intermittently refused to connect to any of my devices and was so frustratingly slow when it did connect that I gave up and used 3G - Verizon and AT&T both have strong signal here.

The parking lot is spacious but full. It appears to have been rented to the local Mercedes dealership who have enthusiastically filled it with their pre-owned inventory.

Beds were comfortable and rooms were clean. I did not eat here and my service experience was limited
to a fast and efficient check in.

Overall it's fine and a fair value but falls short of the typical SPG experience.

• Stayed: June 2013