“If you don't care about hygiene, please stay here”

Four Points by Sheraton Pleasanton
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Pleasanton
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This hotel is a history buff’s dream. I can’t exactly pinpoint the era when the building was erected, but it had to be some time during the Great Depression. I do feel much more comfortable, though, guessing the last time the carpets were cleaned: during the Nixon administration (in the first term, mind you). Talking about the carpets, they are beautifully decorated with shapeless stains of an unknown origin, and on top of them survive crumbs, dust and multiple reminders of guests long gone. Perhaps the vaccum cleaner is in need of repair? And the smell… ah, the smell! So overpowering, yet so difficult to describe. I’ll do my best to depict the aroma that punches you in the face every time you enter the building from the outside. It’s a curious mix of mold, mildew, rancid tobacco and a hint, just a hint of old urine. When I mentioned all of the above to the manager, he responded, verbatim: “It’s an old property”. As much as I did appreciate the age of the building, I must say that age and filth do not necessarily go hand in hand. My grampa died of old age when he was 90, and he showered every day of his life. In the manager’s defense I will say that he offered to move me to another foul smelling room, which I declined. A credit? No. Some points to compensate for my suffering? Neither. However, the girls at the front desk did give me an ice cream at no charge. Whoa! I’m sure at this time a question comes to mind… will I ever return? The answer is yes, of course! I want to be the first one to greet the demolition crew, and once the dust has settled I will dance, I will sing, and I will buy everyone a drink!

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Dan B
Tom B, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Pleasanton, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear Mr. Dan B Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us at the Four Points Pleasanton. I do recall speaking to you and appreciate the fact that our customers will take the time to comment on the things we do well and the areas we most need to improve. As mentioned our stream was in the process of being repaired and I am happy to report that this project has since been completed. Although I have only been here a short time, as mentioned in my conversation with you, my team and I take great pride in our hotel and consider all feedback, both positive and negative, as a tool for improvement. Again I apologize for what you experienced and hope that if you are ever back in Pleasanton you will reach out to me directly so that I may be given the opportunity to change your mind.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

We booked three nights for Father's Day weekend. When we checked in round about 3:30pm on Friday, we were told no upper level room available. We were given ground floor room #311 which smelled pretty bad with strong musty odor probably from the tatty carpet. They were able to change our room to #552 the next day. We were very happy with that room which was much cleaner and brighter on the upper level, until I saw spider webs in two of the ceiling corners above our bed. It took the housekeeping 20 mins to come and clean those up with a broom. Unfortunately they let the black spider ran free hiding somewhere. That worried me the whole night!
Front desk staff were friendly and helpful. Yet the cleaning staff talked so loud to each other in the corridor that could easily serve as wake up calls which I didn't need.

Room Tip: Upstairs room in 500 block
Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shirley0929
Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for 3 nights on a business trip. I'll be commuting to this area for several nights every other week and was excited to find an SPG hotel as these are always excellent when I visit Asia.

This property is older and aging ungracefully.

The rooms in the 400 block smell slightly musty and are very dated. The TV predates HDMI for example! Wifi service has great signal but a clunky interface that intermittently refused to connect to any of my devices and was so frustratingly slow when it did connect that I gave up and used 3G - Verizon and AT&T both have strong signal here.

The parking lot is spacious but full. It appears to have been rented to the local Mercedes dealership who have enthusiastically filled it with their pre-owned inventory.

Beds were comfortable and rooms were clean. I did not eat here and my service experience was limited
to a fast and efficient check in.

Overall it's fine and a fair value but falls short of the typical SPG experience.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 9, 2013

After reading a few of the negative reviews before we left for the weekend, I was a little concerned. When we checked on Friday night the front desk staff were very welcoming and gave us our choice of floors. I chose the 2nd floor and we had a nice balcony which we took advantage of the next day with a few glasses of wine. It is true there isn't an elevator, but the stairs aren't exactly a hardship. House cleaning was in and out while we ate breakfast. The room was spacious and the bed comfortable. We didn't feel it was dated, but then again I don't expect them to remodel every few years, because then the price would have to increase to cover those costs. I found it a steel for the price. It has a great location and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

Honestly I found the rooms a bit dated. The lobby is nice, and the room was clean but just old feel. I would not recommend it for the money I paid. Staff was nice though. Plenty of parking. Location is decent and Bart station not far.

• Stayed: December 2012
Tom B, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Pleasanton, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

Thank you for your kind comments about the Hotel and especially about the service. We have updated a number of items in our Hotel in recent years and do look forward to more in the near future. We do hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel 6 times already this year and more the previous year. It is a great location since my companies headquarters are near by. Normally the stay is pleasant and I don't have much to be concerned about. This time I began to notice some alarming things such as cleanliness and upgrades are needed for this location.
My bed was hard and uncomfortable, the bathroom door wouldn't close, shower curtains need to be replaced more often, and the corners are of the room/bathroom are not getting cleaned.
This could have just been a time deal but I doubt my bed was the only hard one. If they added more upgrades to here I can't imagine it would be a bad thing.

• Stayed: May 2013
Tom B, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Pleasanton, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear Disappointed, I want to thank you for your continued business with us and for being candid in your observations of your most recent stay. We have reviewed your comments to learn to do our job better. Please feel free to contact me directly in order to make arrangements for your next stay.
Regards

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Great place to stay if you're visiting the bay area. Nice quiet area with clean comfortable rooms. If you're driving its really easy to leave the car at the park n ride up the street and take the BART to anywhere in the bay area without the stress of traffic and downtown parking. This place is a few minutes drive to several wineries in Livermore. I paid $75 a night through Priceline and it was well worth it. The bed was comfortable. The service was great. The WiFi could be a lot better but that was the only bad thing I can say about this place. And I'm a harsh reviewer, check my other hotel reviews.

Room Tip: Several places to eat nearby but nothing good enough to recommend around the hotel. But in Livermore...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple