“A better option than the chain restaurants”

Black Bear Diner - Pleasanton
Ranked #10 of 272 Restaurants in Pleasanton
Reviewed June 16, 2014

We were looking for a quick bite- not too much food- HAH! that's where we were surprised- the servings are HUGE - order three pancakes- that's it- they were seriously 12 inches across- enough for 3 people. Menu options are okay - not much to choose from if you are looking for a lighter fare. Restaurant is clean and easey access to freeway.

There are newer reviews for Black Bear Diner - Pleasanton

Reviewed March 9, 2014

this place is new to the area. right across from the 4 points Sheraton on hopyard road. I hope they make it. it is a diner and so that is what you get. you wont get fine dinning but the portions were HUGE and the price was right. two can split many of them I suspect. I had the big burger. it was done well as I asked. the potato salad was very good.

it was so good I came back for breakfast. that could definitely be split. I had the corned beef and it was real corned beef. great hash browns and a nice size glass of juice.
good service and reasonable prices. I will be back.

1  Thank Kathleen S
Reviewed February 7, 2014

I have eaten at black bear diners in other town wand thought "nice" they opened one here, got in at dinner time and they were full so I sat at the counter, after a full over 5 min. Someone finally took my drink order, the guy net to me told me he had been wating for 40 min. For his food, I thought he was just one of those people, the lady took my order and disappeared, the guy on the other side of me ordered at the same time he got his food, so rather then complaining I just watched, I saw my dinner come up on the counter and there is sat for 9 min. When someone (not my waitress) brought it, it was cold dry, and tasteless (I ordered the ribeye) my backed potato was under done and the "steamed veggies" were like rubber. No one checked on how anything was so I went up to pay the bill, a manager was ringing people up, so after waiting in line to pay he asked " how was everything tonight" so I told him " well actually it was not very good at all" he looked at me and never said a word just took the money and gave me my change. I will go to the Stockton place agin but not to this one,

Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

Very nice atmosphere. I have eaten at may Black Bears all over California and Northern Nevada. This was a cool clean atmosphere. My wife and I had Breakfast we both got the California eggs Benedict. The plate was large and filling just like Black Bear Diners offer. This plate was excellent. The avacodo, spinach, and bakon was just right a great combo. The country potatoes were tasty as well. We have eaten there 4 times since and we live in Placerville and only go to Pleasenton on buisness. we make it a regular to eat there every time we go. Service is always good and staff very friendly.Thanks Black Bear. PS Love the fresh squeezed orange juice.

1  Thank Jonathan H
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Went there for a quick dinner. Very friendly and helpful staff. Menu selection will have something for everyone. The kitchen was very willing to adapt a dish which I can compliment them on. You will not come away from the restaurant feeling hungry given the portions sizes.

Price: $$ Very Affordable
Location: **** Not quite Pleasanton but very well located for the freeway and surrounding hotels
Service: **** Quick efficient
Atmosphere: **** Not a romantic night out. Choose something else. Lighting is very bright. Fantastic family restaurant.

1  Thank Jacques v