“Okay, but I would't stay here again....”

Larkspur Landing Pleasanton
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Pleasanton
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I stayed here for two nights with my friend and her two boys (ages 4 and 5). On their website, this place seems like it goes above and beyond, but the reality is a disappointment.

The pros: Good location in that it's right off the highway and walking distance to several restaurants, including In-N-Out (though after passing Harris Ranch on the drive up from LA, which is where In-N-Out gets its beef, I don't think I'll be eating beef for a while). Also, the day staff is incredibly warm and helpful. Yes, all of the rooms are "suites" but I think a better way to describe it is "an average hotel room with a kitchenette." There's a small bed, a comfy chair, and a nice desk with two desk chairs-- no couch, no accessibility to any roll away beds/cribs, etc. Yes, they have a "business center" but that picture literally is the entire "center;" it's a little corner in the lobby next to their mini food-for-sale bar. The breakfast was nice with hard-boiled eggs, cereal, juices, coffee, bagels, and some microwave/toaster waffles.

The cons: My room spelled like a dead animal and the smell would not go away. Also, the Asian man that works the front desk at night was clueless and unhelpful. My friend and I walked in, each of us carrying a 40+lb sleeping child in our arms and the guy at the desk completely ignored us while helping the man in front of us sort out a non-urgent problem. Five-plus minutes went by with the man not even looking at us before I snapped, "Is there someone else that can help us? We've both got heavy children in our arms!" We then got no help with our bags/getting to our rooms.

Oh, and when the air-conditioning turns on, the sound is equivalent to a large jumbo jet landing in your room. It woke me up each time it came on and I'm a really heavy sleeper.

Lastly, the website said there were fresh baked cookies available in the lobby, something I was REALLY looking forward to! If there were cookies, I certainly could't find them. Very sad. ;o(

All in all, the stay wasn't horrible, but it wasn't enough to make me want to come back again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 29, 2012

Stayed here recently on business for one night. I came in after midnight and the doors were locked so had to tap on the door to be let in. The person running the front desk was very friendly and nice. Nice lobby and hotel common area. The room was smaller than I expected when told it was a suite. Essentially a kitchen crammed into the front of a bedroom. The bed was nice and the desk was spacious to work from. Next to the bed there was only a small lounge chair to sit in a space that could have had a couch or something a bit bigger. The fridge was running most of the time which made it a bit noisier than I would expect. Breakfast was decent.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 14, 2012

The "suite" was actually one large room with a kitchenette, but it met our needs nicely. Big comfy bed, an easy chair, large desk with two desk chairs, plus a spacious bathroom and the kitchenette. For some reason, we were assigned an accessible room, which might account for the large bathroom. Breakfast was unexpectedly generous, with the usual cereal, yogurt, bagels, etc., but also breakfast burritos, freshly made. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank fiberart
Reviewed October 23, 2012

it has a nice location next to dennys near in and out burger but old dated needs fixtures the front desk could a little bit nicer and should be attentive and smiling. a little bit expensive considering the room was kinda old

Room Tip: id rather go to residence inn pleasanton
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I reserved my room (studio suite) online & a week later I received an e-mail from Expedia offering a 1 bedroom suite for $100 less than what I was paying for the studio. I called the Larkspur & they honored Expedia's price & also the upgrade to the 1 bedroom suite! Alicia (front desk) was very helpful, greeted me by my name each time I saw her and went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable. The housekeepers are also friendly and would greet us each morning. This is the 2nd time we have stayed here, and we will stay here again if we are ever in the bay area. There are restaurants close by and the BART is a quick 10 min. walk away.

Room Tip: 4th floor...1 bedroom suite facing the furnature store was quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights. Lovely place. Full kitchen with enough dishes, pots, etc to be able to stock the fridge and never go out to eat. Big living area and comfortable bed although the bedroom was a tad bit small but not an issue. Nice size bathroom and everything was clean! Staff was helpful and friendly. Grounds are nice and clean and well kept. Laundry on site as well as fitness room and a outside hot tub. Good central location to Dublin and Pleasanton and points beyond. Continental breakfast in the mornings. Denny's right next door literally steps away. All around a wonderful stay and a wonderful place. Wife and I decided we would be back next time we attend the Scottish Games.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank milotian
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel for the last 3 years when we go to our favorite dog specialty. The rooms are so nice, large, full kitchen, full size refrigerator, etc. It is a beautiful, clean, well running facility. The staff have been nothing but accommodating, helpful, and kind. There is a gym, large laundry facilities, and a decent continental style breakfast in the lobby of the hotel. the lobby is warm and inviting, so much so that at least one night during our 4 day stay we get together with other friends staying there, we all bring, or cook, or put together something in our rooms and bring it to the lobby. Sit in comfy chairs, where there are tables and even a fireplace. We add a little wine, and it's always a fun and lively eating. There are no food facilities there, (except for the continental breakfast) but there are plenty of good restaurants very close. And while the prices are always good for what you get, the only reason this isn't an "excellent" rating is because even for a dog show specialty, they charge a lot for the dogs you bring...that is the only downside to this lovely, comfortable, and nice hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends