“Somewhat disappointing”

Eddie Papa's American Hangout
Reserve with OpenTable
Eddie Papa's American Hangout is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 278 Restaurants in Pleasanton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Stoneridge
Description: Regional American Cuisine. Hand-Crafted Artisan Cocktails. Old World Hospitality
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I have eaten here before, so was looking forward to a wonderful, innovative dinner tonight. However, the result was not quite wonderful. We arrived early, and the restaurant was almost empty, but it filled up very fast. Lots of groups, and lots of families, so we had high expectations. We started with a cup of soup. I had the Crab/Lobster Bisque, and my friend had the Artichoke soup, which wasn't on the menu but came highly recommended by our server as a new item. The flavor of my soup was very nice, it was hot, but I was expecting some crab and lobster, which was totally absent. I guess that was my fault for expecting it in a bisque. My friend also enjoyed her artichoke soup. So far so good. I ordered the "Leafy greens with sliced strawberries, pecans, and feta." The portion size was perfect, the strawberry balsamic was also very good. A bread basket or crackers would have been nice with my salad, but I didn't ask for it and it wasn't offered as part of the salad. My friend had the Reuben Sandwich with fries. This arrived just before we finished our soups, so there was no waiting. The fries were hot and crispy and attractively served in a little "fryer basket". The Reuben was steaming hot, but the corned beef was too thick, gristly, and not easy to bite in the sandwich, she had to take the sandwich apart and slice it on the plate. The sandwich was also very greasy. She told our server she wasn't happy with the sandwich, and the server offered a replacement. My friend asked for a hamburger, which arrived quickly, attractively served and hot. But, it didn't have much flavor, though mustard and ketchup were available on the table. The meat did not appear to have any seasoning on it. We were looking forward to dessert, because Eddie's has some wonderful, unique desserts. We have had the S'more's in the past (a really fun dessert), and a couple of others but we decided to have the recommended Lemon Pudding Cake. We were expecting a soft, pudding type cake - maybe a Lemon Lava Cake type dessert. But, what arrived was very firm, more like HARD molded cake with a guava (I think) sauce and whipped cream on top. The cake took effort to cut through, and it was cold - like it had been in the freezer and slightly thawed. I don't know whether we should have been informed that it would be a cold dessert - when we were expecting something at least slightly warm (how would our server have known what we were expecting?). I think the next time we will try some of the many ice cream desserts that also sounded very good. They have changed their specialty menu lately from the Hawaiian items to Louisiana items - along with their other standard dishes. They have many interesting sandwiches and many of these are standards - with a twist. The next time we might try a different sandwich, or one of the pastas. We just might have made some not so good choices during this visit.

Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I had a wonderful lunch at this place. We found this place on trip advisor and it was very close to the hotel we stayed at. The meatloaf is amazing and the Philly Cheesesteak was great!! Portions are big. People are very friendly!!! Really enjoyed our visit here.

Reviewed December 23, 2013

A good restaurant for families and friends. Wide range of choices from salads, sandwiches, or full dinners. Good service. Fun way they present the bill. Don't want to spoil the surprise.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

What a great idea to have a menu that reflects local dishes from throughout America, particularly for visitors from the UK, like ourselves.

Couple that with a featured state of the month, in our case Hawaii, and how can you go wrong?

Well poor service and barely warm food is their way of spoiling it. Unlike our experience throughout the rest of America, their customer care response was to say that they will tell the chef, and offered us a free dessert....the next time we come back!

On the way there, our cab driver asked us who recommended it, as he does not get to take many people there, rather than downtown, and unfortunately, we now know why.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

I saw the website and thought "chain". But I was really surprised at how good it was. Like, much much better than you would think. First time there I was shocked with how good everything was. Second time there the food tasted a little off to me, but I'd certainly be willing to go back and give them another shot.