“Reasonable hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Perth, Australia
“Reasonable hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2008

I stayed for 2 weeks on business, and contrary to what others reviews are saying found the location a little undesirable, although convenient for where I needed to be. I understand it is the USA and nobody cares too much if they have to drive, but I found it annoying that the restaurants/shops within walking distance really aren't worth walking to. Most nights I took a drive down to Walnut Creek for dinner.

The room (single suite) was furnished well and quite big - the bed very comfortable. The shower could only be controlled with temperature and water on/off - that is, water was either at max or not at all, no half-way which I prefer. I made good use of the free internet access (wifi or wired), but was disappointed that there is no in-room safe. I didn't make use of the included breakfast, Monday to Thursday happy hour (free snacks/drinks), or the hotel restaurant so I can't comment on the quality of the food.

I see an earlier review complained about the heater - here's a tip that worked for me: if the room is cold, set the heater to 90degrees or so until the room is comfortable. It heats up much faster.

All-in-all, I'd say it's a reasonable hotel at a reasonable price - no problems with service or facilities. I'd certainly consider going back.

• Liked — Room cleanliness
  • Disliked — Limited flow control in the shower
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2008

We stayed here this year because of the wonderful experience we had during our first stay same time last year. Unfortunately, the experience this time around was not good at all. We were placed in a room that was not a 1-bedroom suite, although that was what I booked. Then, when I asked to be moved, we had to pay more, and the room was smelly. Although they came to spray, that horrible smell never left. We did not have our room cleaned daily, and we did not have the evening happy hour which the desk clerk made a big point of. Bags of trash were left in the halls each day we were there by the cleaning staff, we never had enough towels, and overall, the experience was not one that would automate my staying there again next year. Too bad, because I really liked it the first time...

Stayed December 2007
1 Thank Traveler310
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2007

This hotel is a really good choice if you need to be in the East Bay. Wireless internet is inclusive and no charge for parking or breakfast - i.e. no nickel and diming for amenities like you get at a Hyatt in the busier areas, plus a way nicer room. Rooms are very soundproof but windows can be opened as well.

Also it's very convenient to stores and restaurants in Pleasant Hill.

My only concern was despite the "no-party policy" there seemed to be a few groups of unaccompanied minors running around, this was a Saturday night. It wasn't a big deal but it seemed a little odd. Perhaps some sort of weekend event or concert was going on. As a result the breakfast room ambiance was not so great, lots of half-awake young people, a few screaming babies, however none of that is really the hotel's fault and the food was fine.

It looks like it's probably very calm and quiet there during the week, although I really wasn't disturbed by noise anyway as long as I stayed in the room and avoid the public areas which was fine with me.

• Liked — clean quiet room
  • Disliked — kids staying there on the weekend can make the public areas unenticing for solo traveler and couples
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2007

This was a last minute get away, and all they had available was studio suites. For the price, I think this is an excellent hotel in a great location. The staff is very helpful, friendly, and personable, with a great attitude. The studio suite is just like a studio apartment. It is kind of on the small side but nicely laid out. I’ve had smaller studio apartments in San Francisco. The décor is new and tasteful; there is even a small wooden floor in the kitchen. The bed was very comfortable, nice closet space, and a good size bathroom with a heavenly shower. Great water pressure, I did not want to get out.

There is plenty to do; there is a large swimming pool, hot tub, sports court, and even a business center. There is also an entertainment complex across the street, called, “Downtown Pleasant Hill” with inexpensive restaurants, shops, and a large movie theater. Rite Aide, and Albertson are within walking distance. Downtown Walnut Creek, and BART, are just a few minutes away by car.

The only disappointment I had was the complementary breakfast buffet. It’s really on the cheap, low quality side. You can get a better breakfast at Mc Donald’s. Hyatt Hotels just purchased Summerfield Suites so some changes will be coming soon I hope the upgrade the breakfast.

In the end I think this is an excellent business hotel, and nice place to spend an inexpensive weekend get away.

• Liked — Room layout, and Shower!
  • Disliked — Breakfast Buffet
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
Davis, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2007

Location is clearly the best thing about this hotel but the property itself isn't bad at all. In order to avoid driving into SF I've gotten accustomed to staying at various hotels in the East Bay and taking BART into town, and so was very happy to find this Summerfield located right off I-680 with on-off convenience couldn't be better. As others have indicated, it's walking distance to PH's ersatz downtown area, with lots of restaurants, etc., just a block or so away. I've only stayed in PH one time, and on a rainy weekend at that. Even so the hotel was reasonably well occupied, but quiet enough for a good night's sleep.

Summerfields seem to make you choose your conveniences. Some have elevators and no business center; others have free computer use but no elevators. The PH property has all of that and the computer use was free, which I appreciated. I also liked the selection at breakfast (missed the evening cocktails others have mentioned), the good coffee and the pleasant, if slightly jejune, front desk staff. The room we had was smaller than some I've had in older Summerfields, but perfectly adequate, seemingly newly-furnished and nicely maintained.

Although a Hyatt affiliate, Summerfield doesn't let you check in online or by phone, and every Summerfield I've stayed at has told me that if a guest isn't there by midnight they'll process a no-show unless they're warned of a late arrival before witching hour. To my knowledge, this bit of intel isn't posted on the reservation website; the first time I heard this was just by dumb luck. so I've asked at every Summerfield I've reserved at since. Sure enough, it's true at PH too. I suggest phoning ahead if there's any chance of a late arrival.

Stayed January 2007
4 Thank robertl2
Cathey's Valley, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2007

This chain claims to be up-scale, so I was a little disappointed over-all. The studio suite was the smallest "suite" I've ever had. Laid out in a "U"-format with the bathroom area in the middle of the "U". The full kitchen was nice with all the necessary accesories. Couch was comfortable as was the bed, but I awoke with a terrible back-ache, from the bed I guess, but it seemed OK? 70+ channel TV was great. Parking was adequate and the area seemed very safe and within a short walk of a block or two was downtown Pleasant Hill with a theater and many restaurants. The hot breakfast buffet included scrambled eggs (which seemed fake) and rolled up lunch-meat type ham slices. Self-make waffles also available. Plus the usual other healthy items, no doughnuts or pastries.

The problem was the "climate-conscious controlled" heater. Granted it was a quite cold day for the area (40s), but when I entered the room it was 61.2 degrees and it took almost 5 hours to get the room up to a semi-comfortable 72 degrees. Called maintenance and the front desk, said they'd move me, but all heaters work the same in every room. So I stayed, left my coat on for a few hours and grumbled all the time. PLUS--if you leave the room, the "big brother heater sensor" knows it and it shuts off--thus making you wait the painfully long time for the room to warm up again when you enter. Plus it has "wake up" and "sleep" settings it automatically turns on at set times. Of course, you can override these controls, but there is NO reason for a heater to take 5 hours to heat such a small room up to a semi-comfortable level. Not when they expect you to pay $100+ for the room. I'm shocked no one else mentioned this heating system, guess they all stayed there when the weather was nice?

I'd probably stay there again because of the location and the rest of the hotel, but ONLY IF the temperatures outside were at a reasonable level so I wouldn't have to depend on the pathetic heater (and who knows how it cools) to make the room comfortable.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — heating/cooling system
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
Gaithersburg, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2006

This is one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed at. We stayed in a studio suite with a separate bedroom with doors that closed for privacy. The living room had a sleeper sofa, full kitchen (except for stove) with microwave, dishwasher and fridge. The TV in the living room had a DVD player which my kids loved. The beds were both queen and incredibly comfortable. The bathroom was very nice and extremely clean. It was so nice we didn't want to leave...

The staff couldn't be nicer. The breakfast buffet had numerous things to chose from and Mon-Thurs. evening the hotel does a hot dinner with beer, lots of food and other drink. The pool area was very clean and the hotel is a few minutes walking distance to a large shopping area complete with restaurants, shops and movie theater.
It is also close to the interstate so you can hop on and hop off. The whole place is very welcoming, inviting and you don't want to leave. I will be staying here again as I go out there at least twice a year...

• Liked — Location, layout of room, staff, how clean everything appeared to be
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
Hilton Concord
Hilton Concord
#1 of 8 in Concord
Renaissance ClubSport Walnut Creek Hotel

Been to HYATT house Pleasant Hill? Share your experiences!