“Depending on your expectations... Pretty Good”

HYATT house Pleasant Hill
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Pleasant Hill
GreenLeadersBronze level
Tustin, California
“Depending on your expectations... Pretty Good”
Reviewed December 27, 2011

Just finished a four night stay at Summerfield Suites -- They are renaming it Hyatt House, or something like that in January 2012... Depending on what you are looking for -- It was pretty good. If you're like me on this trip -- If you are looking for a little more room for a family trip at a reasonable price, this is a really good choice. If you are looking for something more upscale, you'll be a little disappointed. The separate room our kids was great - and the central sitting room was nice if someone wanted to stay up late or get up earlier to watch some TV or read on the sofa without disturbing others. The interior and bathroom fixtures were a bit dated, but was sufficient for our needs. Plus, free parking -- which saves you anywhere from $15-$40 per night depending on where you stay in the Bay Area. The breakfast and evening snacks were nice - but not great quality. There were nice food and entertainment options right down the street -- Century movie theater, Peet's Coffee, Five Guys Burger, Jamba Juice, Lucky Supermarket, Original Pancake House, and other restaurants. Right off the 680 for easy access to get to San Francisco and Berkeley - which is where we were headed.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the parking lot -- not the freeway... And don't get a room overlooking the poo...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Leanne R, Director of Sales at HYATT house Pleasant Hill, responded to this review, February 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review about your hotel experience on Trip Advisor. We value the opportunity to assist you with your accommodations and look forward to a future opportunity of welcoming you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Overall, our experience at the hotel was good. The front desk guy, Robert, truly made our stay a lot better! He was helpful and informative and just seemed like a genuinely nice individual.

Other than that, the rooms and services and amenities were as expected from a Hyatt. It was good, clean, and comfortable. However, our AC/Heater in our room must have broke or something because whether it was on or off it would make a strange buzzing sound. We called the front desk and it seemed like they didn’t want to come up and check it because he kept asking me if it was annoying me. Uhm, yes, it was annoying me and I want it fixed. He did come up promptly after we hang up the phone, and something was indeed wrong, but he said there wasn't anyone from maintenance available (it was around 11:30pm). He was able to adjust unit until the buzzing went away. Nothing else happened during our stay – but we did not turn it on again…Side note: The unit is rather loud in general.

There was some construction going around either at the hotel or in a nearby area, and it woke us up around 8:30 am. Not complaining, just saying.

The breakfast was great as well – Thursday and Friday, there were scrambled eggs, sausage, potatoes, various cereals, bagels, breads, and English muffins, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, juice, etc. In addition to that, on Saturday they served French toast. And on Sunday they served pancakes. I don’t know if the pancake/French toast was a weekend thing only.

There are various shops/restaurants literally across the street. It was a great place to walk around after dinner or during the day. Also, within a 3 mile drive is a mall with the main shops, Macys, Sears, Footlocker, etc.

I would definitely recommend the hotel and stay there again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
HyattPleasantHillCA, General Manager at HYATT house Pleasant Hill, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
Dear valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review about your hotel experience on Trip Advisor. I'm delighted that your stay experience was positively memorable. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back.
No. Cali
Reviewed November 14, 2011

My family of four stayed at this hotel at the end of July when visiting friends and we were very pleased. It has easy access to the freeway, shopping and best of all-our friend's home. I would recommend having the buffet breakfast included in your purchase price of the hotel. We were able to do this through Priceline.com. It is actually really good, not just a continental. The rooms are nice w/ a small kitchen; including fridge, dishwasher, and microwave. The have a nice pool and spa which the kids really liked. We went to 6 Flags the next day and it only took us about 35 minutes to get there. Plenty of time to wake-up, eat breakfast, and drive over there for their 10am opening. Our only regret is that we didn't stay longer.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank NoCali-momof2
Leanne R, Director of Sales at HYATT house Pleasant Hill, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review on the HYATT house Pleasant Hill. My apologies for my delay in acknowledging your post.

I wanted to share with you that since your stay with us in 2011, our hotel has undergone a name change from the Hyatt Summerfield Suites to the HYATT house as well as an extensive renovation.

We hope to see you back here soon. Have a great summer!
Pasadena, CA
Reviewed October 24, 2011

I have stayed here on two separate occasions, a total of 4 nights. The property looks nice. The rooms are older, but somewhat updated. The beds are comfortable. If you are not facing the back (pool) then you will be facing a busy service road and a busy highway. It will be noisy, all night. I am a light sleeper and this was a problem for me, even with ear plugs. They switched me to a back facing room (which I had requested originally, but the request was lost) right across from my original room, which was convenient. It was quiet. However, there was hair on the towels and - honestly, I am in the medical field, I know what I am talking about - dried blood on one of the knives in the drawer. This is really, really bad. ALL of the silverware, dishes, etc. should be run through the washer after a guest leaves, not just the obviously dirty. People touch more than one spoon or whatever, when they pull it out of the drawer, naturally. In this case, I think someone reached in and cut their finger on a knife. I called down to report this and the staff showed appropriate concern, but what could they do? It was gross. The bedside lamp was broken also. Also, on two occasions, once while showering late in the morning and once while taking a back about 1 am (after work!) the water was not hot, just lukewarm. Finally the AC units in the rooms (they are actually in the bedroom portion, are VERY loud - effective, but loud. I could not sleep with mine one. I cooled down the room and then turned it off. In the summer, or on an unusually hot night, I think this wold be a considerable problem. I did not try any of the breakfast. The coffee was good. The staff were OK - the night staff was a very helpful woman (Aisha?) but during the day it was a bit hit or miss. OH YES - You will HAVE to sign a "Good Behavior" form - honest to god, I --- you not!! No urinating off of the roof, no driving cars into the pool. I personally found this offensive and stupid. People who are going to misbehave are going to do so whether or not they have signed a form. People who are not going to misbehave don't need to sign a form regardles. I was incredulous at this aspect of the sign in process. Maybe you won't mind, but I found it irritating. And for whatever reason, they would not accept my company's business card to pay in advance (I work for a medium sized company) so I had to pay with my own card - one more little annoyance.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank EHpasadena
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 18, 2011

First off, really enjoyed the hotel and the location. Good suite (2 bedroom), exceptional cleanliness and great amenities (breakfast, workout room,pool,parking). Something they don't mention is you are really, really (really !) close to a nice shopping/restaurant area that would be very handy indeed if you were there for a week or more (we were there 4 days).
Pleasant Hill/Walnut Creek seem to be very nice, high end areas as well.
That being said, the hotel is 250 feet from the freeway. The rooms in the front suffer from highway noise. Get a room/suite on the sides or in the back.

Room Tip: Get a suite at the side/back.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
virginia
Reviewed October 10, 2011

We recently stayed here as a base while visiting the San Francisco and Napa Valley area. It is very convenient to the BART. We had a two room suite and it was very clean with comfortable rooms, two bathrooms, a living room and kitchen area. The free breakfast was very good. We weren't bothered by any noise, even though our room faced the highway. We found it well-suited to our needs.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Fresno, California
Reviewed August 27, 2011

not as nice as the summerfield suites in pleasanton, but was okay. set up like a regular hotel with long hallways. the summerfield in pleasanton is more spread out with no hallways. easier to get around. but overall, was okay with nice beds that you always get at the hyatt chains. they were nice enough to give us a shuttle to bart station. breakfast was the usual,

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Hilton Concord
Hilton Concord
#1 of 8 in Concord
Lafayette Park Hotel & Spa

Been to HYATT house Pleasant Hill? Share your experiences!