“Pleasant place in Pleasant Hill”

Jack's Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #1 of 118 Restaurants in Pleasant Hill
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Pleasant Hill, California
“Pleasant place in Pleasant Hill”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Jack's is not bad. I wish I could say that it's great or special but it's basic and okay. The food our group ordered ranged from tutto mare to meat load. The selections were tasty and sufficient. The prices were reasonable The wine list was better than average. The service was very friendly but suffered from being a little forgetful (wine not coming until the salads arrived; soup forgotten until requested).

For a neighborhood place, it has a nice decor and gives one the feeling of eating out. On the other hand, it was a bit too noisy for our liking. Pleasant....

• Visited February 2013

• Korean first
New York
“Very decent”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

For me, it was the perfect burger and beer joint having just checked in to a walking distance hotel after a long day of travel. Place was packed at 7pm on a Wednesday night, so I sat at the bar. The tender was very efficient, working solo on a busy night. Got me my first beer (Lagunitas IPA) and my california burger in good fashion. Burger was very good and a good value at $11. Second beer, Racer 5, was a great night cap. Throw up some craft beers on tap and, if I get the job I was in town interviewing for, I'll make this a regular stop when in town. It was a bit loud, but as people exited, it calmed considerably.

• Visited February 2013
Lafayette, CA
“Average, with a capital A”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Just average folks. I wanted it to be better. Service was pleasant, but the food was just...so dang average. The good folks of Pleasant Hill keep the restaurant pretty busy, (and that's good for everyone), but I must conclude, the aforementioned citizenry of PH, are a pretty forgiving bunch. Jack's food will fill the stomache, but know the food is supremely non-noteworthy. Just so this is not an unfounded whine: Onion Rings were gross, greasy and overcooked, burger ok, french fries soggy and greasy, tortilla soup was actuially chicken soup with tortilla chips thrown in, pasta was ok, wedge salad was bad. Value? ($ price per person and dining experience). Zzzzzz....(that's my polite answer).

• Visited January 2013
Benicia, California
“Step It Up For Hevvins Sake!”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Friend and I showed up just after lunch rush for a bite before movie. Dining area barn cold, restaurant is nicely appointed. 'Ms Thang', our server, was distracted and indifferent. Took our order, forgot my drink. Someone else brought food out 20 minutes later and finally brought my tea. Friend's California Burger was delicious, but turned into slop on an un-toasted, insipid bun within seconds. My Ruben was ok, coleslaw was yucky mess, both orders of fries were mealy and tasteless. Ms.Thang did a 'How is everything?' drive-by some time later, we commented on the food and received a 'gotta smile at these cranks' look'. Never offered drink refills. At the end of a $30 lunch I put a $50 down to pay, Ms Thang asks if I want change. Are you kidding me???

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Cheryl T
Pleasant Hill, California
“Breakfast Only”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Not a real fan of the lunch/dinner menu. I've eaten here 6 or 7 times and always disappointed in the food. Went there once for breakfast and was very impressed. Definitely a great breakfast place.

• Visited December 2012