“Clean Room, Friendly Service!”

Historic Cary House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Placerville
Redding, California
“Clean Room, Friendly Service!”
Reviewed January 31, 2011

For a Historic Hotel, I was pleasantly surprised how well maintained and how clean our room was. This was a last minute trip and picking the Cary House was the best thing we could have done. We had our little chiweenie with us and they were so nice to him and treated him like a guest as well. The girl at the desk was exceptionally nice as well as the gentleman (Chris) that I had spoke with on the phone. The breakfast was continental, but had many different options which was nice for a quick breakfast. I will stay here every time I am in this town and will highly recommend it to anyone else heading this way.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Camino, California
Reviewed January 28, 2011

Recently my husband and I spent a night at the Cary House for our anniversary. Although we live nearby and frequent the downtown Placerville shops and restaurants, we have never had a reason to stay at the Cary House. Since it was a special occasion we decided to splurge and stayed a night. The girl that checked us in, Missy, was so nice, she even took the time to take us on a little tour and told us some spooky stories because we were interested in the history of the building. We had a lovely room that was very clean, very spacious, and had antique furniture that fit the theme of historic gold country. The room had cable and WiFi, just like the crappy chain hotel down the road, but it had charm and a friendly feel from the guests, who you would run into on the beautiful staircase. The elevator was really cool too. It's like 90 years old and is old school. There was a continental breakfast in the morning, but there were plenty of places within walking distance to eat if you wanted a little more. There is even a wine tasting room right next door. They were had an acoustic concert the night we were there so that was great. The room was quite affordable and I can't wait to have my friends and family stay there when they come down here to visit.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Petaluma
Reviewed December 13, 2010

Stayed at the Cary House on 12/11/10. My family , our little dog Hannah and I stayed in the two haunted rooms, 212 and 214 hoping to hear or see ghosts. Heard some strange noises but nothing we'd consider supernatural. Missy checked us in at 1pm on Saturday. Really nice to arrive early and have our rooms already available. Missy was very helpful. She got us a cart for our luggage and showed us how to use the elevator. Loved both rooms. Furniture and decor were old fashioned which I loved. Lovely hallways, stairs. Rooms were very clean. Room 212 has a sitting area and small kitchen with a fridge. Free breakfast in the morning was nice. Coffee, tea, juice, milk, bagles, english muffins, waffles, yogurt, fruit. No egss or bacon, but bring your own. They have a microwave. Coffe was really good. Next door there is free wine tasting for guests. Didn't take advantange but nice for those who like wine tasting. If you are looking for a modern hotel, stay somewhere else. If you're looking for an older hotel that is clean with TONS of character, Cary House is the place for you!! It will not disappoint. I can't wait to go back but his time with just my husband.

Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Gardnerville, Nevada
Reviewed October 17, 2010

We stayed at the Cary House many times and enjoyed it. We had not been back in about 4 years and what we found this time was sad. The musty smell, garage sale furniture, darkroom,dingy, no more wine and cheese at night and pitiful continental breakfast with store bought little chocolate donuts. We will not stay there anymore. And, we had upgraded to a suite. We would have been better off with the standard room.

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Nanci G
Hacienda Heights, California
Reviewed October 11, 2010

My husband and I just returned from a trip up north to see the gold country. Having stayed at several historic hotels, I was disappointed that the room had been gutted and the bathroom had been replaced with cheap motel 6 type sink, toilet, and shower. The room also looked like it had been newly dry walled and our bathroom had t-bar with panels, like what you would see in a business. Also the doors where just cheap office doors. However, the room was furnished with antiques, but it just wasn't enough. It was sad to see that the owner destroyed the historic ambiance of what looked like a lovely hotel. What a shame to not keep the historic theme alive.
In addition, Placerville has covered up or remodeled their historic buildings. The town is not quaint or charming like Columbia, Grass Valley, and Nevada City. If you are interested in quaint historic towns, Placerville should be skipped.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Writer4kids
California
Reviewed September 30, 2010

I booked this hotel because of it's history and we came for the Antique fair.
We arrived early check in time was 3pm.
We wandered the fair and came back to the hotel about 11:30am I asked the clerk about our room she said she had us booked into a room in front but could give us a room in the back which would be more quite.
We asked if we could check out the room first it was on the second floor room 209 it was a great room I was very surprised how clean the room was.
It was a suite with a king bed.
The bed was very comfortable.
I had read up on the history of the Hotel and wondered if anything was true about it really being haunted.
We went to bed about 11:30pm by midnight my husband woke me to ask if I was hearing someone walking in the hall way I could hear nothing.
In the early morning about 3am I woke up to ask my husband to shut off the bathroom light but he said no.
The next morning he told me he had been touch by something on his leg but no one was there he also said the walking in the hall lasted all night.
Well i was excited by that but I had been hoping I could have experinced it also.
I can't wait to go back again.
The hotel is full of history and the staff was very informative and helpful.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lonelytraveler21
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2010

We booked Cary House as we were looking for somewhere close to Coloma where we'd booked to do some rafting. When are arrived we were told by the disinterested person on the desk that the list would only take 2 people at a time. This is understandable seeing as it is a period property and the lift is old, however we have 2 kids and seeing as we were to be away for a month we had alot of luggage, we also come from the UK where there are many many period hotels and we would have expected the hotel to offer to bring at least help with the luggage instead I had to send one child up at a time with a heavy suitcase - not a great start. We had a family room which consisted of a small room with a huge bed off of another small room with a double bed and kitchenette area and an ensuite bathroom.

Whilst it is admirable to furnish a hotel in keeping with the period this should not be done to the detriment of comfort equally most of the furniture in our room was just dated rather than period, the beds uncomfortable and the bathroom dated.

Our rate included breakfast which is a makeshift affair that you of toast and waffles odd cereals and the occasional waffle, the kitchen staff do not seem to speak english or at least ignore you when you try and ask for more bread - I had to go to the front desk to tell someone that there was no breakfast left when we got there.

All in all this hotel probably offers value for money but in a service industry I'm not sure we received good value for money!

If you stay in Placerville go to the Wine Smithery for a beer or two, there they do know how to look after their visitors.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Theoneandonlydlr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Placerville
Best Western Plus Placerville Inn
Holiday Inn Express El Dorado Hills Hotel
National 9 Inn
National 9 Inn
#3 of 5 in Placerville

Been to Historic Cary House Hotel? Share your experiences!