“Don't stay here!”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Placerville
Plano, Texas
“Don't stay here!”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

On Monday morning I went to the front desk to ask a question and was told to tone it down as I was too peppy for a Monday morning. Things went down hill from there. The breakfast room was never neat. There was sugar, cereal and drinks spilled on the tables and serving area. They ran out of cups and bowls and the staff didn't seem to care. One day after being away from the hotel for the day I entered my room to find my window open and a man standing outside my room. Other guests had access to the same balcony so now other guests had access to my room. When I expressed my concern to the staff I was told its Placerville and not to worry about it. On my final morning I asked for fruit and was told they ran out. So I told the clerk my opinion of the poor service. She yelled at me as I walked out to meet the car taking me to the airport. As quaint as the hotel is I would never stay there again. Don't waste your time or money.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Planotexas14
Lorraine-GenMgr, General Manager at Historic Cary House Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
We take all of our reviews very seriously here at the Historic Cary House Hotel, as we did yours. Let me start by saying we're very proud of the review scores our guests have given us - especially for customer service. With that said, unlike so many others, you obviously didn't enjoy your stay and we're sorry about that. It says here this is the first review you've submitted, so we're not sure how often you travel. And while it may be a mistake, it also says your visit was in April of last year. Regardless, we would strongly recommend for future trips that if you ever encounter events such as you're suggesting happened here, that you take a minute to contact the Hotel Manager directly, most preferably while you're still on site. As described, these instances would be unacceptable and completely out of character for our team. We would always appreciate the chance to know about and assess a situation like this in real time, as well as the opportunity, as needed, to directly assure you that your concerns were addressed.
Again, thank you for your input. We wish you safe travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Sumter, South Carolina
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I felt like we stepped back in time (in a good way) when we walked into the lobby to check in. It was nicely decorated and had music playing in the background. The man at the desk was very friendly.

Our room was on the small side, but it was the perfect size for our one night stay. The bed was comfortable. The pillows were a little thin, but I brought my own just in case. I am very particular when it comes to pillows.

The hotel is right in downtown Placerville so you can walk to several shops, coffee shops and restaurants. We enjoyed the Heyday Cafe which was pretty much across the street. And for breakfast we walked down the street to Sweetie Pie's. I think the hotel served a light breakfast, but we wanted to try out the restaurant.

Room Tip: We were going to book on Priceline, but then check out the hotel's website and reserved with a s...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Elk Grove, California
Reviewed February 25, 2014

What could be better than a 150-year old historic hotel located in the heart of historic Placerville? Close to shopping, events and restaurants and a great getaway for couples or friends. The rooms are a bit outdated, but immaculately clean and very comfortable. Our 4th floor room was close to Main Street, which was close to Liar's Bench, the local drink, sing and get wild local's bar. We loved the karaoke on Friday night until 10:00, but if you don't, then book a room at the back of the hotel, as the noise of the bar and street traffic can be loud. The lobby is a good hang out spot, with lots of historical artifacts to admire, and the ancient (2nd oldest west of the Rockies) elevator was a fun ride to our 4th floor destination. We appreciatecd the book in our room that outlined local historic characters, which provided us with some insight as to the historical importance of Hangtown and the Cary House. Take time to admire the woodwork and amazing stairway. Looking forward to another stay in Placerville at the Cary House Hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the backside away from Main Street arequieter as they are away from Main Street traffic. Ho...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Atwater, California
Reviewed January 5, 2014

The Return! A new years eve visit to one of my favorite historical hotels. The second time around, was as interesting as the first. As a paranormal investigator, I find the Cary House to be very interesting place to conduct evp’s. The staff is fun and kind. If your ever around the area, you’ll have to try a stay in room 212. Dont forget your recorder! 5 Stars!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Oregon Coast, Oregon
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Our third time staying at the Cary House. It is a great location, right in the heart of historic Placerville for shopping and dining. The rooms are somewhat dated, but clean and comfortable bed for us...and quiet. We will stay again next time we go to Placerville.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Moline, IL
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We had the opportunity to stay at the Cary House for three nights. The staff were wonderful to us and made us feel quite welcome.The location is within walking distance to several places to eat. Just take note there is no where open in the downtown to eat at 10:00pm. The first night we had a Superior Suite for four of us. It is very small and not really meant for four adults, but it worked for one night. We ended up booking this particular room at the last minute because we added a night to our stay.The following night we had seperate rooms for the two couples. The rooms were nice for the two people. The hotel was clean and we would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
California
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We had planned a two-night stay at South Lake Tahoe, but the first major storm of the season blew in a day early, so we fled the mountains for lower elevations. We really like Placerville, so after a late lunch we decided to seek lodging in town. We had walked past the Historic Cary House Hotel on previous visits so we headed there to see if a room was available.

The very friendly clerk offered to show us a couple of queen suites. We followed her and another party through the well-decorated spacious lobby up the stairs to the third floor. We looked at a couple of suites, but decided on what she referred to as the Cowboy Suite! Indeed, it featured rustic pine log furniture, cowboy prints and a lamp with a cowboy theme. What we really loved about the suite was that it had a kitchenette with a fridge for left-overs, lovely light due to windows on two sides, a super comfortable bed with nice linens, a clean bathroom and a view of Main Street.

The price was very good for our two night stay. We got a discount for being auto club members. In addition, the hotel provided coupons for free wine tasting at Synapse...right next door plus discount cards for nearby restaurants. Together with free parking in a city lot, our stay turned out to be a real bargain. The hotel provided coffee, juice and small pastries in the morning and tea and cookies in the afternoon.

People have mentioned the hot water issue and we didn't find that to be a problem on the third floor. We did need to let the water run a bit in the kitchenette sink to warm up, but the shower was fine. Also, the elevator is old and historic and very quaint. I chose to take the stairs, but my husband got a kick out of closing the gate to go up and down. It will only hold two people or one person with luggage, so that needs to be worked into one's luggage maneuvers. Since the hotel provides a loading/unloading zone right at the front doors, that was not a problem.

It was so much fun to stay in the heart of this lovely Gold Country town. We plan to go back very soon and are talking up the hotel to friends who enjoy the area.

Definitely a keeper for us!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Placerville
Best Western Plus Placerville Inn
Holiday Inn Express El Dorado Hills Hotel
National 9 Inn
National 9 Inn
#3 of 5 in Placerville

Been to Historic Cary House Hotel? Share your experiences!