Historic Cary House Hotel
Gold Country Inn(Placerville)
National 9 Inn(Placerville)
Mother Lode Motel(Placerville)
View Hotel
Motel 6 Cameron Park(Cameron Park)
View Hotel
Quality Inn & Suites(Cameron Park)
Westhaven Inn(Pollock Pines)
View Hotel
Best Western Stagecoach Inn(Pollock Pines)
Hilltop Motel(Georgetown)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsgold countrymark twain roomlocated on main streetlove historyghost storiesantique storesqueen suitesmall kitchenettefun place to stayparking passwine tastingapple hilljuice and coffeedowntown placervilleheyday cafefree parkingwithin easy walking distance
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 27, 2008

This is a wonderful hotel. It has the historic ambiance and charm - the elevator is priceless - and yet has private baths, in-room coffee, mini-frigs, AC and cable TV. Each room is decorated in a 'period' style, but most have pillow top mattresses and ironed/starched sheets. We've stayed here several times and they are continuously upgrading it.

They have a typical continental breakfast but it's presented in a 'gold rush' style and there's a lovely outdoor courtyard with a fountain (or fire pit depending on the time of year) with tables and umbrellas that is shared with the other proprietors forming the courtyard to eat in. A great place to start your day while you make plans. We found the staff generally helpful and the rooms were very clean.

They have a balcony over the main street off the second floor that has benches (for smokers) and we took our champagne out there at night and watched the action on the street. A great place to see the 4th of July parade I would imagine. All we needed were beads - it felt like New Orleans without the crowds! A nice way to wind down after a day of sightseeing. It's location is good as well, right at the beginning of Main Street, lots of places to walk to, some restaurants and the 2 historic bars, besides the requisite shops. We just love this place. Our room was tiny but had a king-size bed. It ran only $94/night with AAA (week nights.) They also provide free parking behind the hotel. We were at the very back of the hotel on the 3rd floor, very quiet (stay away from the elevator it's probably loud) and the building has these beautiful vines growing up the back of the building, partially covering the windows so it was fabulous during the day , with the filtered light.

Maybe four blocks up the main street is a great Mexican restaurant, near the 'Cosmic Cafe' (it has gold mine inside in the back) and across from a charming house-turned-into-a-cafe that has good food too. But I digress - 'Tortilla Flats' has a unique way of preparing carnitas that's really unusual but yummy. It's also near the Historical Society's museum which is worth a stop when it's open.

The only negative - no ice machine. We had to go to the mini-mart on the corner. Not the end of the world, all things considered.

We've stayed other places in this town, with varied results. Once we stayed here, that was it. We can't imagine staying anywhere else.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 19, 2008

Quaint Hotel with that old gold country charm. We enjoyed our stay at the Cary House Hotel while rafting the South Fork of the American River. Nice historic displays and wonderful stained glass windows visable inside the lobby. Very friendly staff. Quite acceptable continental breakfast. Centrally located in historic downtown Placerville, CA. Easy walking to a varity of eating establishments, antique stores, book shops, boutiques, and a hardware store. Would stay at the Cary House Hotel on next rafting trip.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed April 11, 2008

Let's start by stating that this appeared to be a charming boutique hotel with a lobby filled with stained glass. From the reviews we had read, it looked light a great place to unwind after a day’s skiing. Oh, how wrong we were.

Come midnight, the hotel turned into party central. On almost every floor, it appears, the locals had descended on the place and decided to continue their celebrations well into the night. Our neighbours arrived just after midnight and couldn't help but share with us through the walls all the sounds you don't want to hear from the room next door. Yep, the walls are paper thin.

I phoned the concierge from the lobby (which is unattended out of hours) and asked for another room away from our inconsiderate neighbours. She was happy to do this and informed me that I was not the first to ask to be relocated that night. In the end, the noise was all too much for us plus my wife was subject to unsolicited verbal abuse from another guest as we shifted rooms. Come 3am, we had had enough and decided to head home to SF.

The concierge apologised for the noise and the abuse my wife had received did say that she would contact Expedia and have them arrange a full refund. We never received the refund nor heard from the hotel.

Bottom line, look elsewhere and maybe even outside Placeville. This boutique hotel isn't worth it. We won't be staying here again and advise others to stay away.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank AlexAndKirsti
caryhouse, General Manager at Historic Cary House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2008

We’d like TripAdvisor to post the management response to the TripAdvisor review posted on 04/12/08 by Alex and Kristi.

I am the General Manager responding to the Trip Advisor review posted on date 04/12/08 by alexandkristi. We have had nothing but good reviews on TripAdvisor and are very disappointed by the review we received from this guest.
This guest stayed in February and we 1st received his e-mail request at about the same time as he posted the TripAdvisor review around April 11th, without even a chance to provide him a refund. The guest was immediately refunded upon his email request and we informed him of this via email.
I have contacted Expedia and authorized a refund. I have tried to contact the guest to try to find out where the miscommunication was on our part. I have had no response.
Our night manager tried to calm the situation that this guest describes. We offered to move him to a quiet room away from the others but he declined
When he left at 3 a.m. in the morning he did not ask us to contact Expedia to have his room credited for that evening. Also, the guest booked this thru Expedia, and if he had expressed his dissatisfaction with Expedia in February, Expedia would have contacted us and asked us for approval to refund this guest.
We pride ourselves at the Historic Cary House on outstanding customer service and rarely have issues that escalate to this point of criticism of our hotel. We would appreciate posting this as a management response.

Reviewed February 22, 2008

My wife and I stayed in this hotel last weekend to celebrate our sixth wedding anniversary. My in-law's booked the hotel and told us that it was a great place to stay; as they have stayed there themselves while looking for a house to purchase in the area.

I was a bit skeptical of the hotel upon pulling up to the front door. When we walked inside, I was very impressed with the cleanliness and the (almost overbearing) friendliness of the front desk clerk!!! We were checked in and were told our room was on the 2nd floor. We were told that we needed to watch our step when getting on the elevator, as it doesn't always stop level with the floor - as it is supposedly the 2nd oldest elevator West of the Mississippi! It ran fine and we didn't trip, so I can't complain! Oh - and we were also told that they offered FREE WIFI internet in all rooms with no passwords required!!!

When we checked into our room, we noticed that the television looked like it was from the early 80's and the decor was from the 70's. I was a bit disappointed that such an old hotel in a town full of antique shops couldn't decorate their room to look it's age. Unfortunately, when turning the TV on, it looked like we had very poor "rabbit ear" reception. We also didn't have a couch to sit together (we instead, had two very old and uncomfortable chairs).

We called the front desk to ask if there was another room available and were immediately called back down to the front desk to get the keys to our new room. This room was on the 4th floor and were assured that we would not be disappointed! We were surprised when we got to our door that it said, "Bridal Chamber." Walking in, we were astonished at the size of the room! It, too, seemed a bit dated in it's decor, but nonetheless, it was MUCH nicer than our first room.

This room had a main "living room/kitchenette" with a mini-fridge, and sink. There was a much newer television in this room than our previous room. The other main room was the bedroom with one of the most COMFORTABLE beds in a hotel I have ever slept in! This room was spacious enough and had a very nice television with cable (don't know what the deal was with the one from our previous room).

The next morning, we were treated to a full continental breakfast that was included with the stay. It wasn't anything to write home about, but it fit the bill much better than some hotels I have stayed in that offer continental breakfasts. Unfortunately, about the only choices, for those who are on diets, was in the form of carbohydrates! What the heck - we were on vacation!

We also noticed in the flier about the hotel, that it was supposedly named the 2nd most haunted hotel in California by the Travel Channel. I pulled out my laptop to do some research on this topic and came up with pretty much NOTHING. Not that I'm disappointed, but it would have been nice to have a lot of information on the hauntings!!! About the only thing I found was from past guests posting in various forums talking about the same topic. Being the investigators we are, we asked the front desk clerk the next morning about the hauntings. He said that he has never seen anything, nor has any guests that he knows of. He said that in old towns with old buildings, people make up stories and, unfortunately, this hotel had a haunting story made up about it... so there it is! NOTHING!!! Oh well...

In all - I would definitely recommend this hotel to a friend with the warning that they shouldn't expect the "Ritz Carlton." It has charm and history in a very nice, very historic town. It is right smack-dab in the middle of town, which is walking distance from everything!

As for our first room, there wasn't anything "wrong" with it... we were just hoping for a room with more personality for our anniversary.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank briguy73
Reviewed February 15, 2008

After reading a few reviews on this site, I was confident in booking this hotel for a two night stay. While en route, I received a phone call from Hotels.com telling me that the hotel would like me to contact them regarding my arrival time. So, call I did.

The kind night manager wanted to know what time I would be arriving as the hotel desk closed at 8:00pm. I told him around 9:00pm, and he said he would leave the registration card and my key behind the desk and to just go ahead and check myself in. I must admit that the thought of checking into a reportedly "haunted" hotel all by myself was a little bit daunting, but it went off without a hitch.

The stay was wonderful! If you like historical hotels, then you will love this place. The staff was kind enough to tell my all the stories, and even show me some "non-public" areas. Rooms are kinda dated and a bit worn, but very comfortable and clean. And the only thing that might possibly be haunted is the shower, as the temperature liked to change a bit while occupying it.

Be sure to visit the Hangman's Tree across the street; one of the oldest bars west of the Mississippi. Heather makes a mean Caucasian. There are also many cute little shops and restaurants in town.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Sleeper-Keeper