“Cozy? Yes. Comfy? Well....”

Historic Cary House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Placerville
Pacifica, CA
“Cozy? Yes. Comfy? Well....”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

You'll see recurring complaints for this hotel for a good reason. There is no hot water in the morning - but chances are good there will be hot water in the evening so plan accordingly. Breakfast is kinda lame: muffins, yogurt, cereal - but you always have the option of going out for breakfast like you would if you were staying at a road motel for about the same price. The walls are paper thin - seriously. Thin. I happen to travel with ear plugs. The bed was WAY to soft for me to be comfortable.

However, the hotel is charming in an old rustic way and perfectly located for walking around town. Free parking. The staff was friendly and our room and bathroom were clean - every thing in working order. I didn't mind mis-matched old furniture or the doilies and calico print wall paper...lends to the theme and charm of the place. Personally I'd rather stay someplace like this, with a little personality quirky as it might be, than a sterile, cloned motel room. If I could be guaranteed a firmer mattress, I'd stay again.

Room Tip: Probably quieter on the upper floors.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Tahoma, California, United States
Reviewed October 29, 2012

You definitely get the feeling you're going back in time while in the Cary House because of the furnishings and overall interior design. You really get the feeling of going back in time when you walk into your bathroom and read a very small sign that says wait up to 10 minutes for the hot water to get to your room. You're suppose to simply leave it running for that period of time! NEVER GOT THE HOT WATER! If this only applies to level 4, then don't book a room on level 4! The air conditioning didn't work either! We really could have used hot water and A/C. For the price of the room especially, I would have expected at least the standard. The room was very clean. The staff was friendly. You can get that stuff at Motel 6. The location is awesome. I'll give the Cary House that.

Room Tip: I'm assuming that if you book a room on the first floor you'll get a warm to hot shower! I c...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Could be nice but run down!!! For the cost I expected a bed that did not match the age of the hotel. There are other great B&Bs in town. The lobby looks great and then you hit the hallway. They use the word suite..... A chair in the room does not count as a suite.

Stayed October 2012
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Really enjoyed the stay at Cary House sitting right in the center of Placerville. There was a trifle much lace in my room and a hint of mustiness in the air, but probably to be expected from a historic hotel dating back to Gold Rush times. Lace notwithstanding, the room, opening on to a second story porch, was clean, wifi was available, and a humble breakfast included. Quite a deal at ~$100/ night. Staff was very friendly and welcoming. There are good, convenient restaurants at various prices within a short walk and Cary House is within a convenient drive of Amador wine country.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Jowl
Placerville, California
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My partner and I stayed here numerous times while we were waiting to close on our home here. I was flying between here and Hawaii every few weeks. This is a great place to stay, although I never did see any ghosts!! Not too impressed with the included continental breakfast, but was usually up and out of the hotel before they were ready to serve. Besides there are plenty of great places on Main Street to grab a great breakfast. The Hotel is not swank and full of five star options. It is clean, neat, and the staff are friendly, and helpful. If we did not live here now, we would definitely stay there again...it's history is fascinating

Room Tip: Ask for one of the larger rooms away from the alley
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CRW1028
Nashville
Reviewed July 18, 2012

This historic hotel combines a feeling of the mid-1800s California gold rush with all the comforts of a modern facility. While the building shows its age, the rooms are very comfortable. Decor includes a number of interesting artifacts from the Gold Rush days. An interior courtyard provides a nice place to relax and enjoy a glass of wine. The hotel is located right in the middle of historic Placerville with other historic building within easy walking distance. We greatly enjoyed our stay at the Cary House.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
La Jolla
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I just returned from a week long trip through the gold country. I had read many reviews about the Historic Cary House prior to booking it. I think I envisioned something a little different from what I experienced. This place could be AMAZING. Instead, it's slightly run down, slightly unloved and half way modernized. The room was fine overall, a bit musty, a little ragged on the edges. The staff at the front desk was very prompt in bringing up 2 roll aways for my kids and we were able to comfortable fit 4 people in the room. I have to be honest, I barely slept a wink. The rooms have very thin walls and I was able to hear everything from the room next door and the hallway. That combined with the haunted hotel aspect, it made for a dreadful night sleep that I admit to was all on me, not the bed! All in all, it's a sweet hotel, in a sweet town that all could be so much more with a little TLC. It did completely freak me out that they lock the doors and do not have any staff on the premises after 10. I felt a little, hmmm... off about that. I very HIGHLY recommend the Heyday Cafe right down the street. What a little slice of heaven!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank OutAndAbout46
Also consider these accommodations in or near Placerville
Best Western Plus Placerville Inn
The Historic American River Inn
National 9 Inn
National 9 Inn
#3 of 5 in Placerville

Been to Historic Cary House Hotel? Share your experiences!