“We had a wonderful stay”

GlenMorey Country House
Ranked #3 of 7 Placerville B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 26, 2007

My son and I stayed in the Iverness room in September. We were visiting Apple Hill and the wineries over the weekend and chose this B&B because of the accommodations. We had the best time here. I wasn't sure what to expect (they're in the process of redoing their website) but I was not disappointed. The grounds had a country charm, the decor of the inn was Scottish and fun, the innkeepers were very welcoming and friendly. The inn is in walking distance of downtown Placerville, which was great because I didn't want to have to drive back and forth. There is a pedestrian bridge at the end of the road to the inn that crosses over the highway. We traveled into town on both nights of our stay. We will definatly go back.

• Stayed: September 2007
There are newer reviews for GlenMorey Country House

Reviewed September 1, 2007

I just returned from a few days stay at the GlenMorey Country House and am now planning for my next stay...soon! I chose the GlenMorey Country House for its quiet and peaceful location, it's simple, comfortable and unpretentious environment, the opportunity for a peek into Scottish history through the vast library…and the claw foot tub in the St. Andrews room. I was not disappointed! I had just left an intense conference in Sacramento and planned for a couple days of rest and relaxation. Tom and Alison are the perfect Innkeepers; interested in my needs and attentive, but not intrusive. Tom is full of local history and pointed me in the right direction for a day of “foot-loose wandering" after which the claw foot tub and a comfortable bed was all I needed to call it a perfect day. The breakfasts were hearty and presented beautifully on china and crystal. I began my stay at the GlenMorey Country House feeling like a welcomed guest and left feeling like I found a diamond in the middle of gold country. Thank you Tom, Alison and family....I look forward to seeing you all again soon!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed August 26, 2007

We have two teen-aged daughters and stayed in the room behind the sitting room. Had a great evening on the front porch playing cards and reading in the living room. If you like all things Scottish, you'll love it here. The rooms were clean and spacious, the innkeepers were welcoming while giving guests space, and there were lots of little extras, like a refrigerator stocked with sodas, homemade oatmeal cookies and bottled water for each guest by the beds. Lots of fun older shops and restaurants in Placerville, and the hosts can give recommendations on wineries, orchards and gold mining places to explore.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2007

If you're going to Placerville, this is the place to stay. The grounds and location are the pinnacle of Placerville. The Innkeepers are gracious and friendly. The breakfasts some of the best we've ever had at a B&B. We highly recommend this excellent property.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 17, 2007

We loved our stay at GlenMorey Bed and Breakfast. It is truly a family run establishment. They serve a hearty and tasty breakfast, cooked from scratch. The owners are very friendly and hospitable, and had coffee with us over breakfast- a very yummy Caramel Apple Pecan french toast. Their location is absolutely ideal, with a 5 minute walk to Main St, especially since there are parking fees to park downtown. We enjoyed a leisurely stroll downtown, followed by an amazing meal at Café Luna. We were concerned about their proximity to the highway, but found there was very little noise from the highway below, except we did hear a siren or two. On the contrary, we felt very private on the large property and were charmed by the 3 or 4 chickens we found roaming the wooded grounds. There were so many interesting books in the library, I had a hard time choosing only one! Our bed (Edinburgh room) was cosy and comfortable. Our room had both a bath and shower, but the other rooms had one or the other, so that is important to know when choosing your room. The inn does not have overly frilly décor, which my husband appreciated, and although the TVs are not great (small) I was glad not to miss my favorite show. Tom and Alison are warm and welcoming, and treat you like you are family, and Maggie was delightful, with her accent she reminded me of my Scottish grandmother! If you prefer a ritzy bed and breakfast which feels more like a five star hotel, run by numerous staff members (the owners are nowhere to be found), this is not the inn for you. If you enjoy staying in a clean, comfortable and homey inn, meeting kind and helpful innkeepers, I reccommend GlenMorey house!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jioat
Reviewed November 22, 2006

I arrived after dark , a little before 7pm. While the house was well-lit, the area around the house was quite dark and there was no indication of designated parking. After entering, there is not a traditional check-in area and no staff was around, only a living room and a hall, so after looking around and wandering the halls a bit I knocked on the door of the private area. The innkeeper who emerged was courteous and friendly, showed me where I would find coffe and tea makings, then on to my room, the St. Andrews. The room was pretty cold, so I took a hot bath; the tub has a spigot and faucets only, no hand-held spayer so hair washing would be difficult and I think a person with physical limitations could find bathing difficult. A lot of B&Bs don't have televisions, this room had a small one with no remote and a channel button that worked in one direction only, the small wicker chair was okay for tossing clothes on but not for sitting comfortably. The next morning, I appreciated being able to help myself to coffee while waiting around for the 9am breakfast which consisted of 3 small cold pancakes, 2 strips of greasy bacon a spoon of cold potatoes and some fruit. With a total of 4 guests, cold food shouldn't happen.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
Reviewed August 8, 2006

We loved our stay at Glen Morey! We stayed in the St. Andrew's room for a week on our honeymoon. The room has a wonderful private bath with a large claw-foot tub! Oh so wonderful! The inn is comfortable, the walk to town short and pleasant, and the breakfast delicious! Tom and Alison are sweet innkeepers and made the stay very pleasant. We definitely plan to return!

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled as a couple