“Country Cute and a View to Boot” 4 of 5 bubbles

Red Apple Cafe
Ranked #77 of 120 Restaurants in Placerville
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: 530-626-8144
Sacramento, California, United States
“Country Cute and a View to Boot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

Well, I'm seeing the negative reviews here, but that was not our experience at all. I've driven by this cafe many, many times and always meant to stop and so stop we did on the way back from Lake Tahoe. The view of the foothills is great, and there is an outdoor patio that we'd like to experience when the weather is warmer.

We were greeted by a display case full of yummy-looking pastries, and seated by a friendly server in the very country-cute cafe. I was happy to have a few vegetarian choices! I went for a quesadilla that was mushroom-heavy (my own fault for not requesting a substitue veggie), but otherwise very tasty and nicely cooked.

My better half had a chicken sandwich. The cook provided a grilled chicken breast instead of the breaded patty at her request, which we appreciated, and which she enjoyed very much.

It seemed a sin to eat out in the Apple Hill area and not indulge, so we did. The caramel apple pie was a treat, with thick chunks of apple the way we like them! It was too late in the day for coffee for me, but I appreciated that they serve organic coffee...

The ambience was quiet and our server was attentive and helpful. The bathroom needed some work (couldn't find the light switch, towels and soap had to be provided as the amenities weren't working), but it was serviceable.

We'll be back to try it again in the future and check out the patio!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Sacramento, California
“Disgusting”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

Keep Driving. The food is gross. The owner has a horrible attitude. Yelled obscenities at other patrons for using the bathroom (they had apparently eaten and paid). Made the whole place feel uncomfortable. Plenty of parking though.Driving. The food is gross. The owner has a horrible attitude. Plenty of parking though.

• Visited January 2013
3 Thank Wilbur S
San Francisco
“Owner Sabrina Choe will overcharge you on purpose”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

Overcharged three times, even after I complained and we had to deal with the owner's most horrible attitude. They take advantage of travelers, stay away!

Long story:

Me and my wife stopped here on our way back from Tahoe on a Sunday around 7pm and found the place empty except for one other couple. During prime dinner time usually not a good sign but hey, we were here already and it started out nice enough. A young blonde waitress had a little chitchat with us how she loves snowboarding but has no time for a season pass this year - very pleasant. The coffee I ordered was lukewarm, but I was willing to let it slide because I was in a good mood.

While we were eating, the waitress turned off the Open sign and left for the night leaving us with the owner, an elderly Korean woman by the name of Sabrina Choe. I tried to strike up a little small talk with her too, asking whether Apple farming was the specialty of the region. All I got was a curt "Yes."

Then the handwritten bill came. We only had one main dish, an Apple strudel, a hot chocolate and the coffee. With so few items, I had a rough idea how much the bill should be and it just didn't look right. So I asked to see the menu again.

When she brought it out, she was already mumbling something about "organic Apple surcharge" before I even had a chance to show anything wrong. A dead giveaway that Sabrina Choe had over-charged us on purpose.

But I had my mind on a different item first. I pointed out our main dish listed at $9.95 and charged at $14.99. Now, something going wrong is actually a great opportunity for a business to set themselves apart, depending on how they handle this. There are two ways. One - you apologize profusely and maybe you say "You know what, your apple pie is on the house." I understand that mistakes can happen everywhere, would've felt valued as a customer and come away a happy camper. We'd probably have stopped here more often on our frequent ski trips.

Unfortunately, she chose the other way. Sabrina Choe started arguing with me: "Oh, uhm, but this is lunch price," nodding to the menu. Needless to say the menu didn't mention lunch anywhere. "Do you have a separate dinner menu?" my wife asked. "No." After some more back and forth involving trying to put blame on the young waitress, I made it abundantly clear to her in as calm a voice as I could muster: "Look, this is your menu from which I picked this item at this price. And this is the price I'm going to pay." When Sabrina finally realized that she didn't have a leg to stand on, she barked "OK, you got a deal!" and wanted to walk away.

Only then did I direct her attention to the other over-charged item, the Apple strudel. "Oh, but I already told you, is organic Apple more expensive!" The same back and forth ensued. Nowhere did the menu or any other sign in the restaurant mention anything about organic ingredients. And certainly not about a surcharge. One menu item "Apple Strudel", one price - that's it. Again, Sabrina eventually begrudgingly gave in and took our bill to fix it.

When she came back, the bill simply had a new total in big digits scribbled across the old bill. At this point, I had already added it all up in my head. What I saw didn't match. I double-checked with the calculator on my phone and, sure enough, Sabrina STILL tried to pull one over on us!

Some people may just pay up at this point to avoid further confrontation. I'm not some people and I wasn't going to let her get away with this. "Excuse me," I walked over "Your bill is still wrong." Sabrina looked ready to jump at me "What you talking about? You forgot tax or something!" Like hell would I forget tax. So we went to her counter and she punched the numbers into her own calculator, conveniently rounding up the $9.95 to 10 and each x.99 item to the full dollar. But I knew the few cents wouldn't make a difference. Then she added tax. Sales tax in Placerville is 7.75%, she added 10%. Essentially, Sabrina Choe committed tax fraud right in front of me. But even so, she arrived at $20.83 including her rounding-ups. My "corrected" bill showed $21.90.

I contemplated for a second to get her to issue me a 100% correct, itemized bill and pay her to the penny. But even I grew tired of this, put 21 bucks on the table and left, but not without telling her arguing with me and trying to make me look like the bad guy was the worst I'd ever been treated by a restaurant owner. She barked back "Yes, I'm sorry!" But her tone of voice made it clear - she wasn't sorry about her behavior, she was sorry she got caught.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank TripperVice
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not worth the stop.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

Unfriendly staff was not happy to seat our family of 5. Waited for service for over 30 min and when they finally took our order they served two tables that were seated 20 min after us. Needless to say we didn't even bother trying their food. We walked out!

1 Thank lainie0429
Elk Grove, California
“Name change plus renovations!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Been a year or so since our last visit, and we were surprised but elated to see the renovations including the vast outdoor patio! The view to the SW is awesome and adds more to the foothills experience. Great place for breakfast before your Apple Hill visits... The Apple bacon and Apple Butter are to die for!

• Visited September 2012