“Never again”
Review of Zachary Jacques Restaurant - CLOSED

Zachary Jacques Restaurant
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed October 23, 2009

JZ's was once a fantastic restaurant when Jennifer & Christian owned it. However, we were very disappointed with our dining experience there a couple of months ago. First, we requested we be moved from the side room into the main dining room since the side room was freezing. They claimed the AC was broken, but they did nothing until we asked. Second, the ambiance was no way cozy or charming. Kind of dingy inside and sloppy outside (dead plants, weeds, no landscaping.) Service was very nice, but food didn't live up to our previous experiences. Overall, it wasn't worth a repeat.

1  Thank PlacervilleGeezers

Reviewed September 2, 2009

Located near Eldorado wine country, Zachary Jacques is a Jewel of a Find. The food, made with quality fresh ingredients, is outstanding. The filet of beef was done to perfection, and we loved the Belgian endive salad - very unique. The "Twilight Dinner," which included a yummy dessert, at $17.95 per person is a real bargain.
The service was excellent, very helpful and friendly. Our waitress was very knowledgable about the local wines. The ambiance is very pleasant and welcoming.
We LOVE this restaurant and will definitely return whenever we come to the Placerville area.
We wish we had a Zachary Jacques where we live!

Reviewed February 12, 2009

I had a nice dinner at a Christmas party here and swore I would go back. So mid Feb. we went in for the earlybird meal and was not disappointed. We had a nice acorn squash soup that was seasoned well and duck confit for a main course with marvelous brussell sprouts. My wife had a nice piece of salmon with a vegetable and citrus topping. very refreshing.. A nice dessert was provided and for under fifty bucks with tip we came out satisfied and full. Service was very capable and pleasant and a nice warm fire in the resteraunt was most welcome on this cold evening. I will certainly go back more often even if there were good resteraunts in Placerville. (there isn't) I would still return and for the price and quality a real find.

Reviewed January 10, 2009

This restaurant used to be a wonderful five star dining experience. The food was always exceptional. However, it was sold several years ago and the restaurant has changed dramatically since then.

The first year or so the new chef prepared excellent, fresh and innovative entrees. Unfortunately, it appears the owners decide to upgrade the look of the restaurant itself, both inside and out, and the food has suffered.

Although the dining room is nicer, the A/C didn't work last summer and they had to bring a swamp cooler in the restaurant. It felt about 90 degrees inside.

The owners keep changing up the menu, adding early bird specials, and 3-course deals, even offering take out. All this comes after a long history of patrons enjoying two-hour lingering formal dinners with five star service and unmatched quality French foods anywhere in the nearby towns.

With these changes, the food portions have become increasingly smaller. The starter pate plate is almost non-existent in size and served with crackers from a box - yuck!

The rolls are served cold and stale.

Desserts are minimal and lacking in the original splendor of years past.

The main courses have undergone the biggest changes in originality, quality and taste. I'd rate them a 2 out of 5 stars.

Lastly, the wine list has depleted to nearly nothing and the wines by the glass are not only cheap in quality and flavor but served stale and aren’t even the equivalent of one glass of wine per serving. Formerly, the restaurant had a beautiful wine bar with many French and California varieties - not anymore and it shows by the fact that no one comes in to drink wine or watch the live entertainment, except their young daughter who is forced to hang out in the restaurant while their parents work all night.

For those of us who have dined at Zachary Jacques for years, it is truly sad to see this restaurant go downhill to the level it has. I feel sorry for the people who work there and have to serve the food when even they know it is bad. And, I'm more sorry to say that I will never go back there again.

2  Thank bookluvr1
Reviewed June 16, 2008

What time I have spent near Placerville, was spent in the woods camping. But little did I know that nestled in the woods, off the unbeaten path, would be one of the best restaurants I've ever had the pleasure of dining at! My boyfriend surprised me with a weekend away for my birthday, and had heard of Zachary Jacques via some reviews on the internet. And it was not a disappointment. We're from San Francisco, and LOVE to eat. For the quality of the food and the service, we would have paid three times what our total bill came out to be. We both enjoyed a seven course dining experience, complete with different wines for each entree, and of course our choice of an assortment of homemade desserts! This place was absolutely amazing, and I can't wait to make up an excuse to drive the 2 1/2 hours just to eat there again! Quaint and personal, intimate and peaceful, it was perfect.

1  Thank Huneyb23