“Great for a Special Occasion”
Review of Zachary Jacques Restaurant - CLOSED

Zachary Jacques Restaurant
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed December 23, 2011

We decided to try Zachary Jacques after eating at their sister restaurant ZacJack. (Lower priced, but still excellent food.)

We chose to go for an anniversary celebration, and we weren't disappointed. They offer a prix fixe menu which includes starter, entree, and dessert for around $30. It's an excellent way to try out their yummy menu.

The ambiance of the restaurant is great - very warm and inviting. The menu has a fairly limited selection, but excellent choices. My husband had a pastry wrapped mushroom dish for his starter, and I had the ginger lime shrimp. Though it took a little bit for the starters to arrive (his was baked to order), it was worth the wait. (We were delivered a taste of their house made pork paté and some bread in the meantime.) We both loved the flavors of the starters!

My husband chose the double pork chop for his entree, while I had salmon. The server made some suggestions for me, which I gladly accepted. The pork chop and the fish were both cooked to perfection, and very tasty. Presentation is beautiful, and it's just the right amount of food to allow room for dessert! I have rarely had salmon that was cooked as perfectly as this!

Dessert was equally yummy. They have a special cake called St. Honoré Cake, and I chose that since I'd never heard of it. YUM. It was a pumpkin custard filling, drizzled with hardened caramelized sugar. Seriously good. My husband had a lemon tart (and boy was it tart!)

Overall, this was a very fun experience and we would definitely return for another special occasion!

Reviewed December 2, 2011

Love the food and the bar area. The bar has music in the evenings, I believe on the weekends only, but it has been a while since I've eaten there. Its a bit pricey for a single person like me.

Reviewed October 30, 2010

We had a really nice dinner - great ambiance - killer music! three piece jazz - flute, stand up bass, and guitar. If I had to rate this in the Bay Area or some other ruban area with tons of choices, I would probably rate this lower, but Placerville is SLIM PICKNS for restaurants. My husband had venison and I had a vegetarian dinner. The price was great - $25 for a three part prix fixe with tons of choices.

Reviewed July 22, 2010

Without doubt among the top 4 in placerville - along with Sequoia, Luna, and Heyday. After Christian sold the place, the food did not suffer, in fact it may have improved in some respects. Cozy rustic little place in the middle of rural El Dorado Country wine country. nice patio. Highly recommended French and French-inspired American.

Reviewed June 17, 2010

My wife and I went with friends to Zachary Jacques and everything was superb! I started with a Caesar salad. The dressing was excellent as was the fresh quality of the romaine lettuce. This was followed by a rib eye steak that was served with baby green beans and the best scalloped potatoes I have ever had. The flavor was amazing! For dessert I had the lemon tart which was excellent ! We had gone for the early dinner which was $17.95 per person, and it was well worth it. The portions were perfect and we left with smiles on our faces and definite plans to return! I have to make a comment about the review dated 5-20-2010 giving the restaurant only 2 stars. That reviewer was in our group the evening we had dinner. That individual didn't really want to be there although that person committed to the reservation then tried to back out. The individual also indicated that a rough day at work made the individual not want to be there, and grumpy. So - my thoughts to that individual is to not commit to reservations, stay home next time or go to McDonalds, Acting like a 9 year old at a very nice restaurant????????? Anyway, we plan on going back!