“Paradise in the Gold Country”
Review of Eden Vale Inn

Eden Vale Inn
Ranked #1 of 7 Placerville B&B and Inns
California
“Paradise in the Gold Country”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Maybe we have become more discerning when researching accommodations or maybe just luckier, but this year we have had amazing experiences at all of our lodging choices. Eden Vale Inn, however, now tops our list of all time great bed and breakfast inns. We were seeking a quiet get away and found nirvana.

The stunning architecture of the converted barn greeted us as we drove into the courtyard. As we walked up to the long porch that fronts the building a nearby fountain and distant wind chimes serenaded us with soft music. Tall pots of bright, fragrant blooms lined the steps. Gayle and Mark met us at the door with welcoming smiles. We picked up right away that this couple is passionate about inn keeping. Throughout our stay they served as concierges, making recommendations for dining and other activities and handling any required reservations.

Our ground-floor room was much more beautiful than the photos on the Eden Vale website. The décor was sophisticated, walls painted various shades of earthy colors that seemed to ground us in the calm of the inn.

Before creating Eden Vale, the owners researched many bed and breakfast inns to learn what guests really liked and disliked and that study paid off for us. We had everything needed for a comfortable and relaxing few days--a cloud-like bed, bathrobes, slippers, wine glasses, lighting controls that allowed for several different schemes including a very romantic one, a spacious bathroom with a luxurious shower.

We loved our private patio with a couple-sized soaking tub--a perfect place to wind down in the evening. Note that not every room features a tub.

Ah, and then there are the grounds, lavishly landscaped with native California plants over many years. A wander through the property revealed hidden spots graced with a chaise lounge or table and chairs, designed for lazing away a sunny afternoon.

We ate breakfast three mornings at Eden Vale and each day found the offerings delicious. Spinach puffs, actually individual soufflés, homemade sausage patties and fresh-baked scones were especially tasty.

At breakfast the first morning, we met the other Gayle, an interim innkeeper who is managing Eden Vale off and on this year while the owners travel. Like them, Gayle is a dedicated and charming professional who truly understands the needs and desires of B and B guests.

We cherished our time at Eden Vale so much that before checking out we booked “our” room for a weekend later this year.

Room Tip: If you want a ground floor room with a soaking tub reserve Juniper!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Chico, California, United States
Reviewed July 31, 2012

This place is amazing. The staff and owners are so hospitable and you can't help but relax in the peaceful atmosphere. The rooms are luxurious and the grounds spectacular. My only complaint; I wish I stayed longer. My husband and I will be going back every year to celebrate our anniversary there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
St. Helena, California
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We travel with Edward Bear, our English bulldog. Since we travel with Edward our needs are more defined and our comments are reflective of those experiences. We hope you find this helpful and informative.

We made our reservations rather last minute, but it is an encouraging path when there is an opening and will take Edward, as we experienced at Eden Vale Inn.

Eden Vale is perfectly named. It is a small Garden of Eden with surprises around every corner. Walk the grounds and discover a small road with a fence and on top of the fence posts old bowling balls or happen onto another garden a plant-holder displaying vintage birdcages. Edward loves walks with discovery like this, as anyone would. It has a transforming quality, stress leaves - smiles appear - tails wag.

A big consideration in planning a visit to Eden Vale Inn is where to eat. Restaurants are not in walking distance, talk to the Inn about recommendations, and make a reservation otherwise you could end up at a pizza place called Marco’s and possibly wait an hour for not good pizza.
Now the alternative and this is brilliant! The Inn has an outdoor kitchen, with a grill and pizza oven. You will be provided with a small refrigerator and this is the ultimate, Eden Vale Inn has a vegetable garden and whatever is in season they share with you. This is beyond Farm to Table this is Inn to Table.

The rooms are comfortable, thoughtful and charming.
The outdoor bathtubs are a fantasy come true, who wouldn’t like to sit outdoors in your very own tub?

The staff, especially if you are lucky to run into Gayle Ballard, is warm and caring. Besides traveling with Edward I am following a wheat free and gluten free diet, this Inn will make you a delicious alternative to their famous scones.

Edward loved this Inn and he gives the Inn his Five Paw rating.

Room Tip: Plan where to eat the first night.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
SF Bay Area
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We made a trip to the American River because of my husband's board meeting and fund raiser for Friends of the River (a non profit focused on protecting and restoring California Rivers). Since it was his trip, he made all of the arrangements. I didn't know anything about the inn that he chose, but knew that camping and rafting was the norm for the area, so I didn't have high expectations.

I was certainly surprised by the Eden Vale Inn. It is a nugget of gold in gold country.

The grounds are serene and beautiful, from the wide range of plant and tree species, to the myriad of calming water features and art, to a fire pit under the stars, to the small pond with many bird species (and a few trout and frogs). The grounds also had a covered outdoor kitchen (including a pizza oven, microwave, fridge, cooking utensils, large dining table, etc.) so that you can make lunch or heat up leftovers from a great meal at Cafe Luna.

The inn itself is thoughtfully appointed for a contemporary couple's R&R. It is warm and inviting without the drippy sweetness of some inns. The main building is a rebuilt barn that maintains it's architectural integrity and has space that is relaxing and peaceful. We liked that the kitchen wasn't tucked away out of sight... the smells from Mark and Gayle's cooking were a nice addition to the atmosphere and it made the very helpful inn keepers more accessible. While the inn was fully booked when we were there, we always found ample choices for places to hang out by ourselves in the inn or outdoors. In the mornings, the breakfasts were an excellent start to a day of relaxation or rafting on the river.

Our guest room was small, but ample, especially given the outdoor porch and public spaces that were so inviting. The room itself was beautifully appointed with very comfortable beds and linens, a large and modern bath, outdoor soaking tub, sophisticated lighting, reasonable storage space, a fireplace, and entertainment (TV, Ipod station for music, free wifi and phone calls). note: ATT Wireless connectivity was weak.

On Saturday, while my husband was at his board meeting, the Inn was a great place to hang out... DO plan to stay at the inn and enjoy the facilities for at least part of your stay. I got a few hours of work done in the morning (sat in the dining room at a table, used the wifi, and didn't see a sole but Gayle, who stopped by to be sure I had a cold diet coke). After that, I had a great facial at the pretty little spa (which also offers his and hers massage!). Then I sat out in the shaded chaise lounge next to the pond - with no one else around - to play my guitar for a while and read a book while watching the birds, enjoying the view of the hills, and listening to horses whinnying from across the fields. It was one of the most relaxing days I have had for quite some time!

Mark and Gayle were extremely helpful, welcoming, and relaxed. They were there to answer questions, make recommendations on dining locations, talk about the history of the area and inn, and more. They and the staff were available when needed and at the same time were completely invisible when we weren't looking for them.

I've already recommended Eden Vale to my friends, now I am highly recommending it to you! You won't be disappointed! We're calling this weekend to set up our next visit.

Room Tip: We tried to get a king room, but they were sold out last time! They are quite a bit larger and we...
Cool, Ca
Reviewed July 18, 2012

My bridesmaids and I stayed at Eden Vale the night before my wedding. The grounds are so beautiful to walk around, there are all kinds of nooks and crannies to explore. We loved the wonderful breakfast and the decor of the rooms. The second night my new husband and I stayed together and he also loved the room. I definitely stayed relaxed the day of my wedding because of the calming environment and wonderful staff! We plan on coming back for our anniversary.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
San Ramon, California
Reviewed July 15, 2012

The Eden Vale Inn Bed and Breakfast near Placerville California offers a unique blend of sophisticated style and luxury with rustic relaxation and comfort. Their attention to detail is high and consistent throughout the property and services. The garden is lush and beautiful, the Inn incredibly creative and comfortable - hand craftmanship is evident everywhere you look. The whole place is thoughtfully constructed and very comfortable. Breakfast is delicious. The Innkeepers are friendly and knowledgeable. Highly recommended. We will definitely visit again.

Room Tip: If you like hot tubs, definitely spend the extra money to get a room with a soaking tub, if that'...
Sacramento, California
Reviewed July 6, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for two nights about six weeks ago for our anniversary. This property is beautiful and the owners have obviously poured lots of time, energy, and care into creating a respite away from it all. There is so much care taken in every last little detail, from the romantic lighting in the room, to the private hot tub on the porch, to the ipod alarm clock, to the fireplace and carefully chosen furniture. The grounds are lovely, with little garden whimsy around every corner, and a charming little lake with the clearest water (and fish!). We enjoyed wandering the gardens, and sitting in various quiet spots to talk and journal and read. It was very peaceful and relaxing.

Unfortunately the owners themselves were on vacation while we were there, so we didn't feel that we received quite the hospitality it seems others have raved about. :( The staff was cordial and fine and we have no specific complaints; we just did not get the overall sense of warm hospitality that others on TA have raved about, which we have come to expect from the B&Bs that we stay at. Although the first breakfast was fine, our second breakfast was outstanding (especially the scones, which were the perfect flaky buttery yumminess that is so hard to achieve!). The coffee was not great either day (perhaps the fill-in staff didn't know how to make it quite right?), but there was an excellent selection of teas and cocoas and all kinds of creamers and syrups (which made me REALLY wish the coffee had been great!).

We did get an excellent massage in their onsite spa, which the Inn booked for us. The massage therapist was wonderful and we highly recommend her. I forgot her name, but her business is called Lotus Massage Therapy.

Also, we had an excellent dinner at Majaic Cafe. Highly recommend.

We will hopefully return to Eden Vale Inn when the owners are home, because despite our minor complaints of the service, it is clear from the owners' obvious loving attention to detail that our experience was out of the ordinary for Eden Vale Inn.

I really want to stress that it wasn't anything that happened as much as what DIDN'T happen--that warmth that makes a good B&B stand out from a great B&B. From our own observations and from the reviews on TA, I suspect this IS a great B&B; we just didn't hit it at its best. We do plan to return when we can get a way again, and we'll be sure to update when we do! I can already feel the cares of the world melting off my shoulders as I relax beside that little lake...

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MamaBug
, Owner at Eden Vale Inn, responded to this review, July 7, 2012
Dear Guest, Thank you for being honest about the service not being up to the high expectations while Gayle and I were on vacation. If you don't tell us we don't know. So, thank you for letting us know. We are reviewing the situation and considering what steps can be taken to maintain the same high level of service while we are away. I'm not making any excuses but, in this case our first choice of innsitters was not available. For the balance of the summer and fall our first choice will be here when we are away. All the best, Mark
Also consider these accommodations in or near Placerville
Historic Cary House Hotel
Quality Inn & Suites
#1 of 2 in Cameron Park
Hampton Inn & Suites Folsom
Holiday Inn Express El Dorado Hills Hotel
Bella Vista Bed & Breakfast Inc.

Been to Eden Vale Inn? Share your experiences!