“Bring A Picnic Lunch!”
Review of Gold Hill Vineyard

Gold Hill Vineyard
Ranked #27 of 51 things to do in Placerville
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in Gold Country, this winery is perfect for weddings and open for tastings on weekends.
Reviewed July 24, 2011

We toured Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park (we rated it a 4 with a well done visitor center) with our picnic lunch in tow. There are many, many picnic tables at the Park situated in very nice shaded areas. There is one picnic area called Beer Garden but there is no beer! So we asked in the visitor's center where to find a beer. The suggestion was Gold Hill Vineyard!

So 2 miles later we pulled into Gold Hill, found the tasting room and proceeded to "taste". We shared the 5 glass locally brewed sampler of ales for $7.50 (Old Miners Scoth Ale ranked highest). We sat on the deck and enjoyed overlooking this wineries beautifully situated vineyards. Although the deck tables with orange backed plastic chairs could be improved upon! We also sampled their BBQ sauces and jalapeno preserves which were very tasty. The Mrs bought a tin of their zinfandel chocolates.

The winery features red wines which we prefer. There is no tasting fee for at least 8 wines. We, as custom dictates, started at the top of the list and worked our way down. When we reached the 2008 Malbec, I felt it was one of the best wines I have ever tasted. As we reached the conclusion, our consensus was wow, we really like these wines. So we joined the wine club which requires 3 quarterly shipments or an agreed to $50 cancellation fee. "Hopefully" we will enjoy are future shipments as much as we enjoyed them at the winery.

We bought a bottle of the Malbec, grabbed our picnic foods from the car and walked a short distance down the road towards Lower Pond. There on a knoll are 4 semi-private picnic tables. We had our choice, so our view was directly out over the vineyards with the spellbinding California foothills and their mighty oaks as a backdrop. The table area is manicured with a lawn and a variety of native California flowers, ground covers and lavenders. Being long time Californians and lovers of "fine" picnics, this "dining" experience was just fabulous.

Joie de vivre!

4  Thank StrandsDanville

Reviewed May 8, 2011

Our family just attended the Mother's Day Brunch at the Gold Hill Vineyard. Food didn't start for forty minutes; they ran out of half the items and said "we didn’t plan on having that stuff anyway". The lady serving the three main items said that they were heating more veggie quiche so I went back to the table figuring I could return and when I did was turned away by the server because four people hadn't shown up yet. I then returned after the four latecomers were served and was told that it was a buffet not an all you can eat. Our whole table decided to complain to the hostess since she was the only one that seemed nice and didn't have a pissed off attitude. She apologized for the rest of the staff and gave us two more mimosas and then brought me a slice of quiche. On the way to the car we overheard several other groups complaining about the same issues. I left hungry, feeling like I had been ripped off since it was not a fund raising dinner. My family will not be planning any other events there.

2  Thank Cpaper
Reviewed April 17, 2011

Fun and affordable wine and beer tastings in an ideal location off of Route 49. Enjoyed two visits to this lovely vineyard when vacationing nearby. Learned about and tasted local wines, brews and fare. Went home with some goodies and great photos to share with others. Cheers!

Reviewed June 5, 2008

We were interested in this location for our wedding and reception, but inquiries sent by email were responded with a negative attitude like the person couldn't be bothered with the niceties of civilized conversation and running a business. We decided to take our business elsewhere. If we had continued to pursue this location for our event, I can only imagine what other issues would have arisen.

1  Thank kamholio
goldhillvineyard, General Manager at Gold Hill Vineyard, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2010

Gold Hill Vineyard brought on a new General Manager in January and they are focusing on weddings and other special events. They are working on a new event planner for brides and the owner is no longer directly involved in the weddings. Customer Service is our top priority. We look forward to seeing good reviews coming forward and apologize for past experiences.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 5, 2007

We had a wedding there not too long ago and the venue was really nice. The service was great and almost everything went smooth.

At the end of everything, we were mailed our security deposit only to find about 10% of it missing. I called to find out where is was and was told it was reduced to cover charges due to paying with a credit card. We had a contract and there was no mention of "credit card charges" anywhere in it. The person on the phone had an attitude from the beginning and sounded like he had better things to do than to talk to me. Annoyed, I asked to speak with the owner/manager only to find out I was speaking to him.

He is an arrogant jerk and I won't go back. The money wasn't such a big deal, but his attitude toward the whole situation was unacceptable and there are too many other good places to go where we can be treated better.

1  Thank ucdmarc