“"owner with an attitude"”
Review of Mother Lode Motel

Mother Lode Motel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Placerville
Reviewed May 21, 2012

The first room was not ready to be occupied, bed looked slept in, bathroom sink being held up with scrap wood. Next room the toilet paper dispenser was torn off the wall. When toilet flushed the toilet was overflowing. Owner blamed us and refused to fix the problem handing the plunger to my wife to do it. When we pointed out that we had not used the toilet, just gave it a flush, he copped an 'attitude' about it and started chewing us out for our 'transgression'. Needless to say, we left immediately. Of note, their AAA approval was crossed out on their business cards and the plaque was not on their wall anymore.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank 581daytripper
There are newer reviews for Mother Lode Motel

Reviewed November 21, 2011

Stayed here one night in between wine tasting in Amador County and cruising Apple Hill. This is a good centralized stop to hit many sights. The rooms are clean and recently refurbished. The carpet looked new. The rooms perpendicular to the freeway seem quieter than the back leg of rooms. It was too cold to use the pool but it looked nice. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms perpendicular the highway seem quieter
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kbirds
motherlodemotel, Manager at Mother Lode Motel, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2011

Thank you for staying with us and we look forwarding to see you.

Reviewed October 3, 2011

Located on the outskirts of Placerville, but easy highway access off and on. Perfect location on my trip to South Lake Tahoe and the Kokanee Salmon Festival. Always looking to cut corners this was a place to crash -- less than 12 hours here. REALLY great price even without my AAA discount. No frills but comfortable and clean. Friendly owners. Even though it's just off the highway, newer windows soundproof the room -- you hear some traffic but not much. Close to downtown and good food and local wine tasting and Apple Hill. Lovely little pool and garden area. The property is dog-friendly. Would definitely stay here again. Just goes to show, high prices isn't always the indicator! Free WiFi. This California Travel Insider loves a bargain and this is definitely that! I will give them a 5-star review for clearly making the effort and going beyond. Let's hope they keep it up and the prices down.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank CalifTravelinsider
Reviewed September 20, 2011

This little motel is a very affordable little gem in Placerville, and it's only a 5 minute drive to Apple Hill. My friend and I had 2 rooms there recently, and both were clean, neat, and equipped with microwave, fridge, and coffee pot; mine had both tub and shower. The handicapped room had a large shower. It's not a fancy place, but it is maintained quite nicely, and the manager was exceptionally friendly and accomodating. The very clean pool was chilly, but I did take a late afternoon dip on a warm day, after our Apple Hill adventure. The pet fee for my dog was a reasonable $10., and our room charges were both just under $50. before tax. Our trip to Apple Hill was extended for a second day since we were able to spend the night so close by, while staying within our budget. If you want to be right next to Apple Hill, and If you aren't looking for luxury, I recommend this place. I will definitely go back! Placerville has great places to eat, and just walking through this historic town in the evening was fun. Go check it out!

Room Tip: I liked the corner room (22) because I was only a few steps away from a small grassy area where I co...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank dancinshooz
Reviewed August 21, 2011

Our king bed room was clean and equipped with a generous sized refrigerator, microwave and coffee pot. The manager/owner (I didn't get her name) was extremely polite and attentive to extra requests. The pool was lovely and we enjoyed a late night dip. It's convenient to the freeway but far enough back that it was quiet. No hairdryer or iron. IIt's an excellent value and we would definetly stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank annie m
Reviewed August 6, 2011

The motel is next to Highway 50 but situated below the level of the street. This reduces noise considerably. The owners keep the grounds in good condition, there is a nice garden next to the well-kept pool. The rooms are small and efficient, and everything is in working order. We have a coffeemaker, fridge, TV, AC and a shower with a modern outward bow.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MartinStein
Reviewed July 20, 2011

This was a 3-day Gold Country getaway. I wanted to revisit Placerville, Gold Bug Park, Coloma, and other nearby historic areas. I've stayed in Placerville before and decided this time to try the east edge of town where it's quieter and less busy. There is a string of 1950s motels, all with great old neon signs: this one (the Mother Lode), the Gold Trail Inn, and the Hangtown Motel.

I was fortunate to walk in and find vacancies, since it was the annual Wagon Train historic re-enactment weekend with lots of people in town, the main historic district lined with food, craft, and art vendors, and entertainment and food along Broadway almost the entire length of town. I was not aware of this until I arrived. The desk clerk (might have been the manager, or might even have been the owner because he always seemed to be around) was cordial and welcoming, and was always congenial when I saw him around the property.

I got the room at the far end from the office, where it was quiet and I could hang out or walk outside and enjoy the trees that surround the motel on all sides. The room was small but adequate. I had to borrow a chair from an outside sitting area because the room had none, and it served me for both indoor and outdoor seating during my stay.

The pool area is large and pleasant, with lounges, chairs and tables. The landscaping made it a great spot to relax, whether to swim or just enjoy the sun. There is a lawn that could be used as an additional seating or picnic area, but it had no furniture and no lighting at night.

If you get snack attacks, this isn't the best location and you should bring food. The continental breakfast consists of packaged pastries, and the motel is not within a short walk of restaurants. It is a couple of miles to some of the strip malls east of the historic area, and another couple miles to historic downtown "Hangtown." Highway 50 is close enough that traffic can sometimes be heard, but I didn't find it distracting. This was a good spot for Gold Country activities or a quick getaway from the Bay Area. During the weekend, it did fill up, and most people seemed to be enjoying themselves. I think I'll be back.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Frisco_Roadrunner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Placerville
Historic Cary House Hotel
#3 of 5 in Placerville
Gold Trail Motor Lodge
Gold Trail Motor Lodge
#7 of 7 in Placerville

Been to Mother Lode Motel? Share your experiences!