“Great room”

Residence Inn Anaheim Placentia/Fullerton
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Placentia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We had a 2 bedroomed penthouse which was great, clean and spacious. The breakfast buffet was OK but there wasn't enough variety of the hot items, more bacon please!! Front desk were OK although had to complain once as we had a phone call at 8am accusing us of running around our second floor apartment, and we were all in bed asleep!! We didn't even get an apology... There were no tins to cook with so had to ask for them, and the dishwasher fell out when we opened the door! It would be helpful if they checked these out before putting guests in the room. Pool was nice and not used much: ask at reception and they'll give you beach balls. Needs a jacuzzi though! No sound from the motorway but the railway was noisy and loud. Motorways were VERY VERY busy, Disney was a bit far away: took over 20 minutes to get there. Not as good as the Anaheim one.

Room Tip: Top floor.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank taliababe

Reviewed October 21, 2012

The hotel staff was great. Everyone I came into contact with smiled and was very happy to help. Even though it is an older hotel, it has been updated and looks great. The one thing I do not like about these old Residence Inns is the lack of elevators for 2nd floor rooms and the exterior access. Also, the work out rooms was very small and did not have free weights. We were there to go to Disneyland and at first was not excited about having to drive to and from the park but it was really easy to get to and from without taking the freeway.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank brentn
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Pros: Standard layout of Residence Inn. Rooms are very clean. Easy parking. Located near fast food restaurants. Area is quiet even though it is near a busy street and close to the freeway exit. Great breakfast with good toppings (strawberries, chocolate) for mini waffles that the kids will enjoy making.

Cons: Oj and apple juice was water down. The pool wasn't heated.

Room Tip: Ask for room close to Gatehouse so one don't have to walk so far to breakfast.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank littleones28
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I had some business in the Fullerton area ... which dissapointed me because I normally stay in LA/Hollywood where there is more excitement. However, I didn't want to contend with the horrible traffic that makes a 45 minute morning commute into more of a 2 hour plus deal. So, I decided to boost my Marriott points and stay in Fullerton at the Residence Inn. The idea of this type of chain fascinates me ... everything about it seems like an apartment complex I would have lived in when I was in college. Yet, it is strangely comfortable.

Although I was just there for one night, I realize that these types of hotels are more designed for the traveler who are on an extended business trip and want apartment/homey type of living vs. hotel living for a week or even a month. If you've ever lived in a cheap apartment, that is the vibe you will get here.

There are no upgrades because every 'apartment' is pretty much the same. You'll find a very spacious and clean place with a living room area complete with sofa and desk ... a pretty nice kitchen ... and a bedroom/bathroom. The decor is sort of a modern/Ikea sort of decor. The walls are red and the counter is made of granite and the furniture is the cheap looking/feeling 'rent a center' furniture you'd expect a young married couple to start out with. Still, comfortable.

The exterior corridors are nicely kept and landscaped. Maybe not as comfortable feeling as a hotel because each apartment has a sliding door that leads to heavily wooded/leafy walkways. I think if I was a solo female traveler, I would feel safer in a hotel room than a separate apartment unit with a sliding patio door. However, these are good for business travelers and families who may be visiting Disneyland. (which is a little further than I'd expected it to be from this place given the distance listed on the Marriott site.)

There is a nice pool area with chairs. A basketball court. And a nice breakfast lobby area. The breakfast area was expectedly insanely crowded with children and couples. The variety was pretty good and although some things ran out, the staff did a good job at trying to keep the options stocked through the madness. The scrambled eggs were a bit watery for me ... but I liked the bacon, which was obviously the microwavable kind. There was also oatmeal, yogurt, bagels and lots of other options. As well as a waffle maker with the option to make mini-waffle bites for the kids.

I didn't spend more than a night here but I can see where it could feel like a bit of a homey oasis while on business vs. a hotel room. The price is great ... although with not much at all in the area in terms of restaurants, etc. (most are 10 minutes away) I can see why the hotel is inexpensive. Disneyland isn't right down the street ... I had expected it to be nearby. After a long day at the park, the 10 to 15 minute ride feels like it takes much longer and it is just far enough where you won't want to get in the car and go back to the hotel for a little pool or relax time to break up a full day at the park vs. a hotel that is right next to Disneyland.

However, the Marriott rewards category on this hotel is Category 4, so if you are using your points or free night vouchers from the promotions ... you will have to stay here vs. spending a lot more points on a hotel right next to Disneyland. I would say that staying next to Disneyland would be worth the extra $20 - $30 you'd pay to stay at a Marriott hotel or non-chain hotel right at the park entrance vs. having to get in your car and drive back and forth to this Residence Inn.

Everything was great here and I'd be back if I was in Fullerton on business again. The cleanliness and homey feel was great and I will also say that the staff was great here. Free parking is always nice too.

Room Tip: Choosing a 2nd level might be better for solo female travelers vs. ground level.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We enjoy Marriott's style of hospitality, it is our preferred hotel chain. We chose this Residence Inn because it is away from the busy theme parks in Anaheim. You do need a car to get around, but access to the freeway is close and easy.
We stayed two nights during the Labor Day weekend, so of course the place was busy with families but also college soccer teams. The sparkling pool and sports court were popular. We liked the well-maintained, mature landscaping around the parking areas: they provided much appreciated shade for our rental car.
When we checked in there were no upstairs units available, so we settled for a long, narrow studio on the ground floor. Normally exterior stairs can cause noise problems, but this time we had noisy upstairs neighbors. And it wasn't kids but a young couple with a baby banging around inside the apartment till midnight. We don't know if this indicated insufficient insulation or if this couple was just plain loud. Ear plugs helped.
Our unit had a fully equipped galley kitchen, and everything was clean & operational. A less bulky desk chair would improve traffic flow. Wi-fi worked well for us, and with no interruptions. The air conditioner worked fine but was on the noisy side: another reason for ear plugs.
The complimentary breakfast had a nice selection and was fresh, even for late comers. A young lad had his third birthday, and the staff went out of its way to celebrate this occasion. The eating area is rather small, so during rush hour it can get rather hectic and congested. But then you can always bring a tray of food back to your room.

Room Tip: For a quieter night's sleep, request an UPSTAIRS unit away from the pool and the freeway.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Decided to spend the weekend away from the heat and close to family (although Placentia is 20 degrees hotter than where I live). It's the older style Residence Inn, with separate units, which I prefer over the newer hotel style. Initial front desk service was excellent and always with a smile! Never had any major issues in the 20 years staying at Marriott hotels, but ran into a problem this time. After a 100 degree day our air conditioner stopped cooling the room sometime while sleeping. To make a long story short, the front desk staff really took care of the problem and although I lost a good night's sleep, I'll definitely come back here again!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Residence Inn Anaheim Placentia/Fullerton stays with the standard presented by the Marriotts Hotels. This is a Inn is clean, comfortable and quite. Located in an area that is primarily business, this Inn may not be for the vacation traveler unless you want stay away from the normal tourist areas; ala, Disneyland. The only major negative is there are no restuarants located close to the Hotel. For major restuarants you will have to drive 4 to 5 miles.

Over all a good stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Placentia
Quality Inn Placentia - Anaheim
Fullerton Marriott at California State University
Best Western Plus Anaheim Orange County Hotel
Residence Inn Anaheim Hills Yorba Linda
Chase Suite Hotel Brea
The Hotel Fullerton
The Hotel Fullerton
#1 of 11 in Fullerton

Been to Residence Inn Anaheim Placentia/Fullerton? Share your experiences!