“Worst chowder ever!”

Hoagies Sandwiches & Grill
Ranked #14 of 103 Restaurants in Pismo Beach
Cuisines: American, Bar, Delicatessen, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Hoagies is one block off the beach with a fun Jamaican vibe! We have 2 plasma TV's and great reggae mucic. We also welcome dogs on our patio.
Fresno, California
“Worst chowder ever!”
Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

We visit Pismo about once a year and have tried a variety of restaurants there. We had a late, delicious lunch at Guiseppe's, and when 7:00 rolled around, we wanted a simple cup of chowder to finish the night out during the sunset. We know our chowder, sampling it at pretty much every restaurant we ever go to, and especially look forward to chowder on the coast, even though there are some very good places to get chowder in our hometown, Fresno, but that's a different review. All we wanted was two cups of clam chowder, onion rings, a bloody Mary, and a Blue Moon. I thought the prices were decent, but I guess you get what you pay for. Chowder was three bucks a cup, and bloody mary was on special for 3 bucks, and was well garnished, the only plus to our experience. Blue Moon on tap was 5 bucks, with no orange slice garnish, and it tasted very funky and bitter like something was wrong with the keg or the glass was dirty. You pay as you order. The cashier looked at me like I was crazy when I asked for a receipt. All seats inside were filled, and we wanted to sit outside anyway for the sunset. For thIs very simple order we waited literally 30 minutes, I even went in half way to check and see that they hadn't forgotten we were outside. When the food came, the soup was what I imagine the gruel in Oliver Twist was like. A thin mesh of potato and a few clams. It was brought together with what seemed like a mix of skim milk and water, and it left an awful taste in our mouths, neither of us could finish even half a cup of it. The texture was also as though they had precracked crackers inside of it, making it more mushy and unpleasant.

If you want the best chowder in Pismo, go to Rosa's! We've had there chowder four times, consistently flavorful and flowing with fresh clams, and I would have gone there, had we not just been there the night before. You do have to pay more for that one, but the differance in quality is astounding.

Furthermore, the onion rings sucked, maybe because we had the taste of the chowder lingering as we ate them. The ranch was watery and weird, I hope nothing nasty was done to it because i asked them for a receipt and checked to make sure they didn't forget about us. Nobody really seemed to care to work there, and definitely didn't care about the efficiency of their business. All these good reviews are about their main food stuff, so I guess we just got the dregs of the kitchen asking for chowder and rings.

Exeter, CA
“Very good food and service”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I don't review many restaurants, but this was very good, and we just got back from Pismo beach so here it goes. We ordered a large fish and chips (VERY large portions) and a Pismo rap. The fish and chips were good, fresh, and plentiful. The Pismo rap was excellent, it had tri tip, curly fries, bbq sauce, cheese, and avocado wrapped in a green tortilla looking wrap. It was also very large, and the taste was great. My wife is not a big meat eater, but liked it alot. (I ate a large portion of it :) ) It was our first visit there recommended by our daughter. We will be back. Worth the wait in the long line.

• Visited March 2013
Springboro, Ohio
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“It was okay.”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

The food was okay. Kind of expensive for what it was. I got the buffalo chicken sandwich. The chicken was just okay but everything else about it was good.

Visited March 2013
Avila Beach, California
“Try the Pismo Wrap!”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Although I probably would not have ordered it otherwise, I had to try to Pismo Wrap since that's what everyone says is good....and it was really good! I would have liked more avocado and BBQ sauce though, but that's just a personal preference. It's a huge wrap and I could have shared it with someone. The curly fries are really good too. My husband had the Big Italian sandwich and he thought it was "pretty good".

Their menu is HUGE! Everyone is sure to find something that they'll like. They even serve some mixed drinks and beer.

Grab a sandwich and sit outside on their cute patio and enjoy the beautiful weather!

• Visited March 2013
“Yummy food and great prices during happy hour (4-6 pm)!”
Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

I've been coming to this place for a while and have yet to write a review. I just had to retire a review after today's visit bc I may have had one of the yummiest cheeseburgers of my life. It was the double cheeseburger and Wednesday special for $5. Now we are ordering the happy hour chili fries and hot wings. They are always really good. The wings have a little kick and some garlic. The cool thing about hoagies is that they have some really unique items on their menu along with some great usual favs such as fish and chips and burgers. Give them a try on any day of the week for a different daily special at a reasonable price and try their happy hour menu!!