“Perfect retreat by the ocean”

Cottage Inn by the Sea
Ranked #6 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Reviewed February 14, 2010

I traveled to Pismo Beach to get away from Los Angeles for the weekend, so was looking for an affordable but nice hotel by the ocean. Cottage Inn by the Sea was just that and more!! It exceeded my expectations. It is very inviting from the first moment you pull up. When I checked in they had upgraded me to a partial ocean view. I interacted with the manager, Brett, who was very friendly personable and invested in making the most out of my stay. My room was so cozy and comfortable!! There are tons of windows, a really nice gas fireplace, and the bed was super comfy. They provide extra towels for the pool and also bathrobes, which were cozy. One of my favorite features was the hot tub, which was overlooking the ocean. This hotel is in a great location and has fabulous views. There is a path which you can access the beach and the pier is just a short walk away. I slept like a log with the fireplace going and ocean waves in the background. They provide breakfast in the lobby which was really good...waffles, muffins, hard boiled eggs, cereal, yogurt, fruit, oatmeal, etc. You can sit outside and enjoy it even.

The only suggestion I would have is to pay the extra money to upgrade to one of the ocean view rooms...I think it's only an additional $40 and totally worth it because you are right on the ocean and have a little patio. I can't wait to return to this hotel for another peaceful weekend in Pismo Beach. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank veggie79

Reviewed February 2, 2010

When one drives up to this hotel you know that you have picked a winner. The ambience out side and inside of this hotel gives you that feeling of "welcome friends. My expectations of how a guest should be treated were met over-whelmingly in a positive way.

This staff is outstanaing. As we got out of our car to go and check in a grounds keeper took the time to look up and say hello. From that time on it just kept getting better as far as how the staff treated us, it was like we were the only guests their for them to take care of.

Kudos and thanks to the following. Megan(at the front desk), Brett(general mgr) he treats his staff the same way he treats the guests,friendly,courteous and polite, I was very impressed by that. Room attendants, Antonia, Dora, and Teresa, did a great job in making our room so comfortable and clean.

The room we had over looked the ocean and beach also had a fireplace which really set the atmosphere at night. Lovely grounds to look at from our patio.

A great selection of restaurants and attractions that Pismo Beach is so noted for, all within ten to fifteen minutes from the Cottage Inn.

We can not wait to visit again the Cottage Inn by the sea.

Robert and Edith

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Venturasimi
Reviewed January 16, 2010

My family visited Cottage Inn by the Sea in December for a birthday trip with some friends. I was the birthday girl and told the guy that I was celebrating my birthday when I called to reserve 2 rooms.
When we arrived, they had a happy birthday sign on the front counter and they gave me a bottle of Martinelli's, 2 champagne glasses, and a birthday card signed by the employees. This was a first.
Their hospitality stands above many other places that we have stayed at.
It was great to have a fireplace for the cold evenings/rain, but I would have liked to have a balcony to sit out on the following morning when there was not a cloud in the sky.
Great place to visit and I would definitely recommend it to others.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 29, 2009

Only booked this as a pit stop on a road trip and what a find. Wonderful views, def book a sea view room and you can sit and watch the sun set which is so relaxing. Complimentary breakfast was a bonus too.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 18, 2009

We traveled to the Cottage Inn with a group of friends, and had 6 rooms. The staff at the Cottage Inn is top-notch. We needed to make one change and switch one of the rooms and the staff was incredibly accommodating. The location of the hotel - overlooking the ocean - is absolutely wonderful, and there are chairs set up on the cliff overlooking the ocean for admiring the view. There is a stairway down to the beach. The rooms are large, and each has its own fireplace. Some have balconies, with a peek at the ocean, and other rooms open to a spectacular ocean view. An expanded continental breakfast is served in the mornings, and is very good - make your own waffles, pastries, muffins, cereal, granola, fruit, hard-boiled eggs, etc. Given the location, size of rooms, etc, this is a very good value for the area. We have stayed in San Luis Obispo and paid more for rooms far less adequate without a view.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 2, 2009

The Cottage Inn by the Sea was perfect and right by the ocean! We had a nice clean room, and a heater in the bathroom! The windows and patio door were overlooking the ocean, direct access to the public - pet friendly - beach, walking distance to the town, restaurants etc. Self service breakfast was included, my favourite. And on top of all that, we got a great deal for our 4-night stay. The staff was very friendly and helpful, too. We'll definitely stay there again and would recommend to our friends.

Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 1, 2009

We spent three incredible days in Pismo at the Cottage Inn. We stayed in an ocean front room and it was absolutely amazing. We had the fireplace going, and one window slightly open so that we could hear the ocean. The room was extremely clean, the beds comfortable, the service excellent. There was a wide selection of restaurants for both lunch and dinner in the area, and many fun and relaxing things to do. We walked on the pier, took a very long walk on the beach, and did some exploring in all the parks in the area. Not only is Pismo a great location to spend some time, but the Cottage Inn is the perfect place to stay. There is nothing like watching the sun go down and the dolphins playing in the sea foam from the comfort of your room or one of the lounge chairs outside. Cannot wait to go back there. Will return soon!!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple