“Exceeded our expectations”

Ranked #6 of 27 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Rural Virginian
“Exceeded our expectations”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

My mom and I were looking for a place near Pismo Beach for a long weekend. This fit the bill perfectly.

We had a big room with a fireplace, cleaning staff that left cute towel-animals, and friendly desk staff that really knew the area and was happy to help customers.

The beds were comfy with plenty of pillow choices. Bathroom was clean and towels were plentiful. I liked having our pools/beach towels in the room for us rather than going to a desk or to the pool to get them. The pool and hot tub are small but sufficient. Beach access is down a walkway since the hotel overlooks a cliff.

They are pet friendly, so while we didn't have a pet we had fun seeing the ones others had. And we didn't experience any excessive noise from pets or anything.

The included breakfast got a little busy (the hotel was full while we were there) and the staff couldn't quite keep up with keeping everything replenished. We therefore changed our schedule to eat earlier and that worked out fine.

We rented beach cruisers at the next hotel down in order to ride to the Monarch Grove and around town.

This hotel is not right in Pismo Beach. I considered it an easy walk to town; my mom did not. But no worries because it is easy to order food delivery from local restaurants. In fact, when the delivery service we used Sunday was not operating on Monday, the desk clerk was able to recommend a different service. So we had dinners on the table in our room with the fireplace on--lovely.

I was also pleased to get a quick and friendly reply to my pre-trip email about transportation.

Room Tip: Room 726 is huge!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank schlegal1
CottageInnGM, General Manager at Cottage Inn by the Sea, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Thank you for your review. We have staff here 24 hours per day to assist you with recommendations, reservations, and anything else you may need during your stay. We hope you will stay us again during your next visit.

Jed Bickel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I'll start out by saying the ocean side second story room we stayed in twice was exactly as pictured in the web site. A large, comfortable and clean room. It was chilly and fifteen minutes of the gas fireplace and the room was toasty. Nice are by the windows to enjoy the ocean view. Brekfast was the more typical fare, well presented and ample. We will defiantely stay there again.

Room Tip: First floor ocean side has a small outside patio by the room. We did not choose it as i was fearful...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Iowa539
Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed the upstairs Ocean Front room. All our ocean front rooms do have great views. Insiders tip: We also offer large rooms with very nice partial views of the beach and ocean as well. We look forward to your next visit.
Bakersfield, California
Reviewed February 12, 2014

I always enjoy staying here. The rooms are very nice and the views are gorgeous. The fireplace is a nice touch. Rebecca in the kitchen is awesome and makes you feel welcomed. I will definitely be coming back on our next trip there.

• Stayed February 2014
Oxnard, California
Reviewed February 8, 2014

We've stayed there annually in February for over 8 years, and have never regretted any of those years. We do our annual wineries/adventure tour from there with other members of our Central Coast British Car Club. The service is very good and staff are very accommodating to our needs. Rooms are always clean and tidy. If we had anything to complain about, it would be the blinds witch are heavy roll down bamboo or other material, that is not convenient to operate. Otherwise, this hotel is one that we'd recommend to anyone visiting Pismo Beach area.

Room Tip: If you're looking for a cozy, English type manor - complete with a simulated thatched roof with...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
CottageInnGM, General Manager at Cottage Inn by the Sea, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Thank you for your car club’s 8 years, and counting, patronage at the Cottage Inn by the Sea. Your British cars are always a treat to be seen in our parking lot. We look forward to seeing you again next year.

Glendora, California
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We chose this hotel for our 45th wedding anniversary celebration. The pictures online look awesome and it advertises it has beach access. Well the rooms are VERY dated and small. There is no beach access and even tho we had requested a "no pet room" due to allergies...my husband had an allergy attack all three nights we were there. The view is great but a LONG walk to the pier. All the rooms had screens on the windows but the room we were in so got very hot in the afternoon and evening even tho it was January. We will stay on the sand next time and hopefully the pictures of the rooms will be accurate. The hotel staff was nice but their cleaning people certainly had difficulties getting our requests right even when leaving a $10 tip per day. We only chose this hotel because of the high ratings it had on tripadvisor...so go figure. Not any place I would stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
CottageInnGM, General Manager at Cottage Inn by the Sea, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel for your special occasion. I would like to sincerely apologize for not exceeding your expectations during your stay. I would welcome the opportunity to personally discuss your experience with you as I guarantee the full satisfaction of our guests. At your convenience please contact me directly.
805-773-4617
Visalia, California
Reviewed January 31, 2014

When I arrived I was greeted by Lauren at the front desk. She welcomed me and provided me with my room key. Once in the room, I realized how wonderful my stay was going to be (the view was spectacular), so I phoned Lauren and asked if I could stay an additional night. She was able to accommodate my request. Wonderful breakfast - wonderful room - wonderful view. I would recommend this cozy get away without reservation. I will be back...

Room Tip: Pick a room with a view - you won't regret it!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Kris D
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us at the Cottage Inn by the Sea. We really appreciate that you took note of Lauren’s exceptional customer service. She has been providing professional service at our hotel for over 5 years. We look forward to your return visit with us.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

We decided to do a last minute get-away for 3 days in Pismo (January 15-18) and this time I wanted to stay someplace we hadn't stayed at before (we've done the Sea Venture and the Shell Beach Inn on previous trips). Tripadvisor reviews led me to the Cottage Inn, which looked cute and met our "right on the beach" criteria. I went to their website and, wow what a deal we got! They were running a special for a 3 night stay during the week for 20% off. We ended up with a King room with a full ocean view on the top floor for less than $120 a night! When we got there, it just got better...the view just about knocked us out. I couldn't believe we had such a beautiful unobstructed ocean view for such a great price (not to mention a comfy king size bed, fire place, soaps by Philosophy, FREE breakfast that included make-your-own waffles, bagels, muffins and such, and coffee that was actually really good). The weather was warm the whole time we were there, and we slept with the fireplace on and the windows open, and the waves lulled us to sleep. It was wonderful. The thing I didn't like about the Sea Venture is that location-wise, it's on the beach very close to the Pismo main drag, but there's also a lot of sand between you and the water so you can't really hear it that much. The Cottage Inn is on the other side of the pier, still within walking distance to the Splash Café and all that (it's not a short walk, but it's do-able), but the best part is that it's up on the cliffs and the waves break RIGHT there...I actually had to keep turning the TV up when we were watching a movie one night because the waves were so loud! I just loved it. If only they had balconies for their ocean view rooms! The room wasn't in tip top condition...the faucet in the bathroom had to be turned just "so" or it would drip...the room was in need of new paint and some of the bathroom fixtures were looking a little rusty and worn, but there was no mold or anything serious, and overall it was clean and comfortable, and for the price and that view, I can overlook some minor cosmetic issues. I also wished they had 4 normal sized pillows instead of 6 small pillows...that was a little weird, but we made it work. The staff was pleasant, the grounds were kept beautifully, the location can't be beat, and overall it was a lovely stay. I would advise going during the week when its quiet, because Friday night and Saturday morning things got a little noisy with the increase of guests (and their children) and in the morning there were a ton of people hanging around outside walking their dogs (it's a pet friendly hotel). Great stay for a great price, though.

Room Tip: Do a full Ocean View for sure, and go during the week and during the 'off' season for a more...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kustomkitsch
CottageInnGM, General Manager at Cottage Inn by the Sea, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
We are so glad that you enjoyed your recent trip to Pismo Beach with us. We are constantly looking for more ways to increase the value to our guests. We can’t wait for you to come back to see what’s new at The Cottage Inn by the Sea.
Jed Bickel,