“Great place to stay!”

Ranked #7 of 27 Hotels in Pismo Beach
“Great place to stay!”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

After staying here for three nights, we were so glad we picked this hotel....Easy access to the beach, beautiful views, perfect heated pool & hot tub, large rooms with two king-sized beds! We tried to get reservations at the hotel next door and couldn't, but I'm so glad we ended up staying here. We have two teenage kids and they loved it too. My son had a blast boogie boarding in the ocean. The breakfast was great, and the staff were very friendly. Would definitely recommend Cottage Inn!

2 Thank Bntravelx4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Our room had a broken security lock. We called the front desk because our 18 month could walk right out the front door. It looked broken in a way that it had been forced open or kicked and sad to say it looks like it has been that way for a while. They did not have any other rooms rooms available and did not have a maintenance man to fix it. They offered 20$ off our room which is not much for the price we paid. The front desk lady was not very concerned. I usually love this place but I am disappointed. Being able to lock your door properly should be standard in my opinion!

2 Thank Delilah773
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

I debated between several hotels in pismo before deciding on cottage inn. Maybe there was no wrong choice. However I do know that I absolutely loved everything about this place. The staff was super friendly. Even the staff helping serve the breakfast in the mornings would come to the table to visit and see if we needed anything. The rooms were clean. The views of the ocean couldn't be any better. Had the room right next to the pool and hot tub and never once had a problem with the noise level. The rooms have menus in the drawers of many local restaurants that will deliver. All in one menu so you can easily choose if you decide to have delivery. The beds were comfortable. The one negative was it makes having to return home that much worse.

2 Thank Dogfather4
Los Angeles
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I chose this hotel because of the location and other reviews about the product. As a single traveler, safety in location and 24 hour staff is important to me. The Front Desk Associates were very friendly and helpful. Had great suggestions of places to visit and take photos since this was my first trip to the area. Caught a cold while there and the Housekeeping Associate was very understanding that I didn't require daily service. Complimentary breakfast was great and as it was a bit chilly at times, the heated pool to 86* was amazing!

The location was very convenient to the beach--just walk down stairs to the beach and it is a short walk to the pier. Once at the pier, you can walk into downtown Pismo. Having a car was a plus for sightseeing nearby dunes at Grover Beach, Avila Beach and Morro Bay. Parking is free at the hotel, so added costs.

Rooms were large and offered a fireplace, ceiling fans and a lot of ventilation. While clean, the rooms are a bit dated, especially the bathroom and could use some TLC. Philosophy brand bath amenities were top of the line and unexpected. The microwave and small refrigerator in the room came in handy after visiting the local grocers and any leftovers. More cost savings! In this case I paid more than I usually pay for the location, (peak season for Pismo) and not for a newly remodeled room.

I have recommended this to friends and am planning to return with family for a getaway next year.

Room Tip: Although I didn't book an ocean view this time, I just walked out to the poo and grounds for ama...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank 1belikeme
Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed here for one night on our way to San Francisco. We had a lovely sea view room. It was quite quaint but charming and comfortable. The bathroom was adequate and had really nice toiletries. There is a small garden with chairs where we sat with our coffee looking at the view. Breakfast was good. Reception staff friendly and helpful. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BensMum56
San Jose, California
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We are no strangers to Cottage Inn as our vacations are always in the Pismo & SLO areas and we always stay at the Cottage Inn. We have been going here for years. It’s always wonderful to stay at Cottage Inn and for our family. Every time we have stayed there, it has felt like we are going home to our home away from home. Our recent stay was no exception.

It is always difficult to point out exceptional experiences, because we have never had a less than perfect experience at Cottage Inn. However, this time I do wish to point out exceptional service by one individual in particular and that is a young lady named Kelsi. Kelsi welcomed us when we arrived as if we were family or friends returning home and walked us out and bid us goodbye when we checked out. It was like saying goodbye to a close friend or relative. Kelsi is an incredible individual who brings great value to both Cottage Inn and Pacifica Hotels, which is amazing, because every employee we have dealt with at Cottage Inn over the years, whether the front desk, management, or room service, all have been friendly and welcoming.

We do not get down to Cottage Inn as often as we like, but I do hope that on our next trip, Kelsi will still be a valued member of your staff. Thank you.

Room Tip: Dogs are family too and Cottage Inn makes sure they are welcomed!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Survivor2X
Jennifer V, Manager at Cottage Inn by the Sea, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Cottage Inn by the Sea. We are very happy to hear that our team--and Kelsi in particular--exceeded your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Pismo Beach.

Jennifer Vavroch
Assistant General Manager
(805) 773-4617
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed here 8 years ago. It was like an intimate, comfortable spa. So when we were recently passing through with our kids, we wanted to stay again. What a let down. The rooms were dated. It was 88 degrees outside and our room did not have air conditioning (when I called to ask where the temperature controls were in the room, I was told that I could warm things up by turning on the fireplace. When I said it is 90 degrees in the room and I want to cool it down, I was told to prop the doors and windows open. We didn't feel safe leaving the door open all night - not sure I would do that anywhere -, one window didn't have a screen, and one window had a broken screen). Maybe it doesn't usually get warm in Pismo Beach, but it is hard to believe they don't get requests for cooling. The bathroom had mildew on the grout. The pool was green. The cleaning staff carts blocked access to our room when we arrived in the evening and needed to get our bags up to the room, and when we checked out in the morning and needed to get our bags to the car. The positives - it is nicely located on a cliff overlooking the ocean; the front desk staff was nice; and the complimentary breakfast was really good. Unfortunately, this hotel has gone down hill during the past few years. Hopefully they will invest in their rooms to update them and make them more comfortable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank John W
Thank you for your feedback. We are truly disappointed to hear that your recent stay was less-than-satisfactory. Please contact me at your earliest convenience so that I may fully address your concerns and resolve them to your full satisfaction.

Jennifer Vavroch