“Great View”

Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in Pismo Beach
London, United Kingdom
“Great View”
Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

We stayed as a family of six with four teenagers in 1 room. The location is fantastic with a view directly onto the beach.
The rooms are slightly faded but clean.
The staff were welcoming and helpful.
The breakfast is chaotic, self service in a small space, with a waffle machine.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank MarkapHills
Manager423, General Manager at Sandcastle Inn, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I'm glad that you enjoyed our beach front location and our welcoming, helpful staff. Thanks for being our guest.
Roger Wightman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Korean first
Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2014

My Family and I stayed here for one night on the 20th July.

We stayed in a 2 queen bed beach view apartment. Stunning location and view right on the beach.

Generally our stay was uneventful, we didn't get poor service and the room was OK and the 'complimentary breakfast was a welcome addition.

My main gripe is that this was not a cheap overnight stay and i would say that the web site makes the hotel more glamorous than it really is.

Nothing more to say really other than i don't think this lives up to the impression left by the website photos.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Dave W
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our stunning location. While it appears that you were generally satisfied with your stay, it seems that we did not fully meet your expectations. if you are not fully satisfied, we are not satisfied. Please contact me so that I may personally address your concerns.
Hollister, California
Reviewed July 24, 2014

My husband booked us a suite at the Sandcastle Inn for a few days after our wedding for our honeymoon. After riding a motorcycle down hwy 1 we were ready to cool down and relax. We checked into our suite and were SEVERLY disappointed in the accomodations. The room was run down, there was NO a/c in the room, and for the price I was expecting a whole lot more than free soap! We didn't even stay for 5 minutes before going back down stairs to try and check out. Marissa at teh front desk was rude, and stated we could not get a refund for our stay unless she rebooked the rooms. Not havong teh money to waste we were downgraded from our suite to a regular room with partial view with a/c. I was so livid at the lack of compassion and accomodations of this place. You are basically paying for the view. We were on our honeymoon, and the horrible beds, and run down rooms were not worth the price. I am sorry to anyone who decides to make this their special place to spend their first nights as man and wife.

Room Tip: Don't book with them
10 Thank kelly h
While I am happy that my staff was able to relocate you to an air conditioned room for better comfort during your stay with us, I am very sorry that you did not fully enjoy your accommodations. At the Sandcastle Inn, we are committed to 100% guest satisfaction in all areas, and I am confident that this can be resolved to your full satisfaction. I look forward to hearing from you.
Shelter Cove, California
Reviewed July 23, 2014

My wife and I along with several dogs, kids, grandkids, etc. have stayed at the Sandcastle for 25 - 30 years. It is three stories high with a boardwalk near the north end, a "spa" with room for 6 - 7 people. Be sure to wear the courtesy bathrobes which come with the room, for use only. (They sell for $75.) The water seems a bit too hot at first but is fine after a few seconds.
The rooms to the south are "pet friendly" rooms. My first choice is #117 for my dog. It has a nice rear patio looking out over the sand and the Pacific, as well as the Pismo Pier to the north. See photos 1 & 2 below taken from that same patio!
Breakfast is self-serve and includes waffles & syrup, cold cereal, oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, toast, jelly, English Muffins, pastry, coffee, hot chocolate, fruit and more.

Room Tip: I prefer the ground floor, pet friendly rooms. #117 is by the south exit to the beach, see photos 1...
2 Thank James S
Manager423, General Manager at Sandcastle Inn, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thanks for being such loyal guests.of our beach front pet friendly hotel. We truly appreciate your years of patronage and look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.
Thanks again.
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Not a great welcome during check-in. Ariel at the front desk needs some customer service training and maybe learn to think outside-the-box. We recently stopped in for a one night stay with one of our friends, whom have been to this hotel several times (this is probably her last time). My friend had made a two room reservations to this hotel via booking.com. I arrived 15 min before my friend, but was denied check-in because I didn't make the reservation. Really???? I offered to show her the email of booking.com confirmation but I was told that it's not sufficient. She said I either wait or get my friend on the phone to confirm that I'm with her party. You expect me to sit around after a 4hr drive? She finally checked me in after I called my friend and handed the phone to her. So....lets think about this: 1) I gave you my ID and credit card. Is it going to hurt you even if I wasn't who I said I am? I'm not taking any products away, its a hotel room! 2) How much more secured is it for me to call my friend to confirm. I could have called my wife and have her pretend to confirm the information. Come on Ariel, think about what you're doing...

Side note: When my friend finally arrived, Ariel when thru a list of "don'ts" and "can'ts" during the check-in process. I'm sure you're a good employee, but not at the front desk welcoming people.

Overall, hotel is clean and has a great location. I would rated 3.5 stars if it wasn't for the check-in hassles.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank huntingtonbch
Manager423, General Manager at Sandcastle Inn, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. While I do understand your frustration, I am sure that you will agree that the hotel's primary concern must be the safety and security of our guests. At times, our security measures may result in inconvenience for some travelers. We will do everything we can to minimize this inconvenience and I apologize that you felt the check in process was mishandled. If you wish to discuss your concerns further, please contact me dirctly.
Sanger, California
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed at the Sandcastle Inn on July 16, 2014. Have been to Pismo Beach so many times. First time we stayed at the Sandcastle Inn. We had ocean front view. Couldn't ask for a better view. The staff was great. Very helpful. We didn't have breakfast. Hotel is a little outdated, but clean. Right next to boardwalk and good restaurants. Would consider staying again.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms are fun.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
We are pleased that you had the chance to finally stay at our oceanfront hotel in one of our full ocean front rooms. Yes, the view is great, ins't it? We look forward to having you back again very soon.
Northern CA
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We recently stayed at the Sandcastle Inn in Pismo Beach. I was a little nervous because we typically stay at 4 star hotels and this was only listed as a 2.5 star hotel. I can say, it's just because it does not have a restaurant and a pool, but you are right on the ocean and there are restaurants all around. We were so impressed by the nice beach decor, very clean rooms and the 3rd floor ourdoor area is just wonderful!!! We had a partial ocean view, not a full view because they told us they were sold out, but our room still had a nice view of the ocean. This hotel was such a great find and it was in part to all of the great comments on Trip Advisor. The comments are what made us take a chance. The only negative thing I would say, is the staff is pleasant, but they are very by "the rules", no accomodations for any reason. I would say no flexibility, kind of robotic not what we are used to in a 4 star hotel where they are more helpful and accomodating, but with that said we will be back again, but this time I have booked an ocean view and we hope to get the room we requested vs being told they can't guarantee anything.

Room Tip: Full Ocean Views are the Best!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
As a first time guest, I'm very happy that you fully enjoyed your stay at our beachfront hotel, and that you have already booked a return visit. Thanks so much for being our guest.