“Relaxing at the Sand Castle Inn”
Review of Sandcastle Inn

Sandcastle Inn
Ranked #7 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Reviewed December 20, 2012

My wife and I vistit Pismo Beach, CA. at least 2 or 3 times a year. My job takes me there and for years we have stayed at various hotels up and down the beach front. One year, we were walking on the pier and decided to walk down to see what other hotels were available. We walked past the Sand Castle Inn and my wife mentioned that she would like to stay there on one of our visits. I surprised her for our 10th Wedding Anniversary telling her that we were staying at another hotel but when I drove up to the Sand Castle Inn she was very surprised. We had a wonderful Anniversary. I had ordered Chocolate Truffles, roses and champange in the room. A soothing massage and Butlers on the beach (they set up a bondfire and chairs) oh, did I mention that it was a full moon? all arranged for by the hotel before hand. My wife has not wanted to stay at any other hotel when we go to Pismo Beach. I give it 5 stars and hope that you enjoy as much as my wife and I have. The staff is extremely friendly and they go way out there way to make sure that you have a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Two best rooms would be 309 or 317. Full ocean view with a huge balcony. Fire place with plenty of r...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank islandboyal
There are newer reviews for Sandcastle Inn

Reviewed December 19, 2012

Have stayed here twice now in the last 6 months, great location just blocks to the pier and downtown. Stayed in a ocean front room on the 3rd floor with a balcony, loved sitting out watching the sunset and listening to the surf. Very friendly staff. Will be returning again soon.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark M
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Have stayed in the area many times in the last 10 years. This is the best experience we have had. Great front desk and great location on the beach. We had the ocean front location. Completely remodeled in the past year.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I stay here every time I go to Pismo Beach. The hotel sits right on the beach, and is walking distance from the pier. It can be pricey, but that is typical for beachfront hotels in Pismo. If you want to book a hotel during a holiday weekend or even in the summer, you need to book in advance, as this one fills up quick. Make sure and try the clam chowder restaurant on the pier called Splash!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 2, 2012

The hotel advertises "Pet Friendly", but charged $75 for a dog for a single night stay, however this is not disclosed at booking time. Once you have a guaranteed reservation, which allows no cancellations within 24 hours of arrival, then adds the $75 at check out time. Even at check in time, your credit card is only charged the standard rate, but the $75 is added at the check out.

The $75 is on the small print of the 4 pages and 10 initials you are required to check during the check in, but you could not at that point cancel as it is within the 24 hour period.

The manager was singularly unfriendly and deferred to "Company policy". As an explanation he cited "Extra Cleaning" as the reason for the charge. For $75 I could hire a cleaner all day! there is no justification for this charge.

The "corporate office" has not replied to my complaint or query, which gives me cause for concern for any other issues with this hotel.

Avoid this hotel if you have pets!

Room Tip: Pick another hotel if you have a pet.
Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank barcelonans
Manager423, General Manager at Sandcastle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

I sincerely apologize for the initial miscommunication regarding your reservation. We do charge a one time per stay pet fee of $75 plus tax for up to two dogs per room. I would be more than happy to discuss this further with you if you would please contact me directly at the hotel. Thank you.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

The staff at the front desk were very friendly, although we seemed to be the last one to check in that day...everyone else managed to get in on early check-in but we had to keep coming back to check in..got in at 3:50..check-iin is 4:00. Great location on the beach with clean, comfortable rooms. Compare to the quality of high-dollar rooms at major hotels in major tourist areas or convention hotels. I thought the room was a pricey ($200 including taxes) but was told that was average for the area. Robes were provided which was a nice touch. A tremendous selection of items was available in the free breakfast. Hot chocolate chip cookies were provided in the afternoon. All very nice touches. I thoroughly enjoyed this relaxing anniversary weekend. (There was no pool or restaurant). Great way to enjoy the beach and sunset.

Room Tip: Don't opt for the higher-priced ground floor rooms..you can't keep your patio doors open at...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sandrag55
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Our room ( second floor) had a balcony overlooking the beach and ocean, however, there was a private sidwalk between the beach and hotel where people could walk. A 1st floor room is not advisable. The breakfast room is very nice and so is the breakfast. There is an area outside this room where people can eat facing the ocean. This hotel is in an older section of town but has alot of shops around this area. The beach was clean and flat and there were no cliffs in that area so it was a great beach for families.

Room Tip: Besure and reserve a second or third floor facing the ocean for a view. First floor rooms facing th...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family