“A nostalgic and charming seaside vacation getaway!”
Review of Spyglass Inn

Spyglass Inn
Ranked #9 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My wife and I had the distinct pleasure of spending our Wedding Aniversary at the nostalgic and picturesque Spyglass Inn. It is an aging, but well maintained Inn situated upon the bluffs overlooking Shell Beach and San Luis Bay. We enjoyed four days and three nights with unobstructed views of the Pacific Ocean and San Luis Bay along with the breathtaking sunsets from our kingside bed or private balcony.
We took all our meals either in our room or on the deck of the Spyglass Resturant. The view from the Resturant is second to none and the cuisine is to die for. I personally recommend the Spyglass Lox platter for breakfast $9.95, although the $5.95 Pancake Breakfast special was delicious. For dinner I also recommend the Calamari steak, lightly tossed in seasoning, flour & sautéed to a golden brown with fresh garlic capers and white wine & lemon sauce - 19.95 It is the most tender and freshest Calamarai you will ever eat. My wife loves seafood so this Resturant was right up her alley. The steaks are good, it's not Jacko's, but you don't have to wait for 2 hours either. They offer an assortment of sandwichs and I did have the Spyglass burger on the Rustic roll and it was a nice change of pace.
The public beach access (a short stroll down the beautiful landscaped path) takes you down to the tide pools and a lovely, uncrowned, wind protected sandy beach. Shell Beach is the Central California coast in microcosm. There are the ancient bluffs and rocky shoals being eroded away by tide and time, but there is also the sandy beach with driftwood, kelp and seaweed washed ashore.
For me this was a trip down nostalgia lane. Ther is no AC, but you don't need it. The Inn is old, but clean and remodeled and you could try to get a room at the hotel next door with the same views for say $800 to 1,000 a night. My wife checked. I reccomend this Inn to anyone who can appreciate what was the most luxurious Inn in Pismo Beach in the 60's and she has not lost her charm, but has aged gracefully.
Also when you book your reservation for dinner on the deck ask for Josh! He was the most personable, knowledgeable and prompt waiter we've ever had and we stay, when out of the country or in Hawaii at Exclussive Resorts.

Room Tip: Rooms with an full ocean view. There are a few larger corner suites, but we stayed on the third floo...

Reviewed July 20, 2013

we stayed one night here on our way to our daughters and loved it. It is an older establishment but very nice. We had a king bed that was faced toward the ocean so we could lay in bed and see the ocean. We had a very nice lunch in the restaurant. The staff were very nice and friendly. We plan on stayin

g here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank TERESAhCalif
JgentrySpy, Manager at Spyglass Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Our staff really appreciates your warm comments about your stay. We thank you for your stay and look forward to seeing you and your family upon your return to Pismo Beach.

Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Not a big deal if your wife is not 8 months pregnant. Upon check in I was assured I could have as many fans as I wanted. Using fans for cooling is appropriate when staying at a seaside cabana. This hotel has all the charm of a motel 6 at 5 times the price I can hear every shower in the building and every foot fall.

• Stayed: July 2013
JgentrySpy, Manager at Spyglass Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

I am truly sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your recent visit. We strive to provide our guests with the best hospitality experience of any hotel in Pismo Beach. Please contact me directly so that I may address your concerns to your full satisfaction.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night heading north to visit some relatives for the 4th of July. I wish we stayed for more nights. The hotel is awesome and on the north end of Pismo. The south end is the main city and where the crowds are. This place is right on the bluff overlooking the beach and has a nice walkway along the bluffs. Public access to the beach was right down the courtyard and the room we got, king with a fireplace and ocean view was will worth the price.

I would have given it a excellent rating except the room was a bit messy (not really bad at all) and the cleaning crew missed the gum some idiot left in the shower (not the cleaning crews or hotels fault). other than that I cannot mark down anything on this place. awesome place for the romantic getaway. There was a pool but that was for the kids and families I guess the ocean was right there. The places around this place were twice as much per night as this one so for the money you cannot beat it.

Room Tip: The hotel has a restaurant which was OK but across the street is a wine/deli/store that had awesome...
1  Thank plnrboy
JgentrySpy, Manager at Spyglass Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Thank you for spending your holiday with us. I apologize that we failed to meet your expectations in every way. Based on your feedback, we have resolved the problem on this particular room. We hope that you will consider returning in the future. If so, please contact me directly so that I may give you my personal guarantee of your full satisfaction.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

The Spyglass Inn is a great hotel and central location where you are close to downtown Pismo Beach, Avila, and the freeway. The hotel is off the freeway enough where you won't get traffic noise. We booked at the last minute so we could not get a ocean view or ocean front, but the nice and helpful front desk person gave us a room overlooking the pool with a large balcony. The hotel grounds are clean and well maintained, and the pool area is spotless. If you don't want to spend the extra money for ocean views, ask for the 232, 233, 234, 235 rooms which are on the second floor and you get a partial view for the lower cost. If money is not an issue, then definitely get the ocean front rooms as the views are beautiful. The rooms are clean and spacious, the beds were comfortable and the pillows were good quality. There is free Wifi and if you stay at the hotel you can have the Spyglass Breakfast special which is $5.95 and includes pancakes, eggs, bacon/sausage, coffee/tea and it was very good with excellent service. The happy hour is fun, again great service, and beautiful views. The only negatives, the beds still have bedspreads which is an issue for me as most hotels have now updated for cleanliness purposes and the shampoo/conditioner/body lotion bottles are so tiny you can barely get enough for two people, which would not have been a problem if they would have replaced the set for the next day but they didn't-the maid only left one little bottle of body lotion. Overall a great place to stay and good value.

Room Tip: If you want the partial ocean view without the added cost, ask to rent rooms 232, 233, 234, or 235.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Janet T

Thank you for your kind words about our oceanfront hotel. It was our pleasure to make your stay enjoyable and comfortable. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Pismo beach.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Stayed in a partial ocean view room just for one night en route to San Francisco from LA; I had obtained a really good pre purchase rate from the Inn directly when I knew my travel dates were firm. It is in a really nice location, offered a better than expected outlook for a partial ocean view room, nice toiletries, quietness and free wifi. Would have liked a safe in the room. Having been on the road all day we thought we would just walk somewhere for dinner but thought options were limited - either the hotel restaurant or one in an adjacent complex but that's the topic of another review. Breakfast in the Spyglass Restaurant was unfortunately disappointing.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sydney_AustraliaDee
JgentrySpy, Manager at Spyglass Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Thank you for your review. The partial ocean view rooms do have a wonderful view from the third floor balconies. We at the Spyglass Inn and Restaurant were unhappy to hear about your breakfast experience. We apologize for failing to meet your expectations and we appreciate your feedback which will help us to improve our overall product and service. Please contact me so that I may address your concerns to your full satisfaction. We will look forward to seeing you again on your return to Pismo Beach.

Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

The Spyglass inn. Is nicely situated overlooking the beach. Ocean view rooms are pricier, however we were happy to pay less for a room not facing the beach. 2 sinks were a bonus, nice private patio ( we could see the ocean if we stood up). Rooms include small fridge, a few chairs and desk in a room with one king size bed.
Walking distance to several restaurants, beach and store.
Hotel pool and hot tub are simple, clean and not crowded. While adjacent fancy hotels go for 400 a night, we were well under two hundred. And we did not have to put up with noisy bikini clad crowds at the pool.
Restaurant at hotel is decent with a fabulous view, reasonable prices.

• Stayed: July 2013