“My favorite funky hotel”
Review of Spyglass Inn

Spyglass Inn
Ranked #10 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We have been staying at the Spyglass Inn for years. It is in a fantastic location above the ocean next to much pricier hotels. It is an old motel that has been remodeled. The rooms are clean and comfortable. Many have fireplaces. We always ask for ocean view with fireplace. It is dog friendly. The room amenities surpass those of fancier hotels. The in room coffee is actually good. The robes are comfy. The Spyglass Restaurant on the property serves excellent meals with an unsurpassed ocean view.

The hotel and restaurant staff are friendly and provide true service.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view with fireplace. The rooms facing the ocean are quiet and have lovely patios.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kathy3154

Reviewed December 27, 2012

We booked because our friends asked us to stay in a "dog" friendly hotel. We lucked out, because it ended up being a perfect base for us to visit Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo, Hearst Castle and Pismo Beach. Hotel was somewhat typical beach hotel, a little age on it, but clean, fantastic bed, great views and a terrific value. We had a King Size room on the 3rd floor looking out over the top of the beach access two story units. Awesome view of the sunset and the ocean, from our room & deck. For the price, we scored with a comfortable bed, awesome view and a cozy room near the beach! It's where we'll being staying for our next trip.

Room Tip: If you don't want to pay for beach access rooms, see if you can get the 3rd floor room #306, whi...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Because of everyday cost of living and overly high medical bills over the years my wife and I have not had an anniversary getaway in 11 years. I looked online at many beach hotels and found that the spy glass inn has great ocean views from the room with reasonable rates. My family and I drove 250 miles to visit this resort. As we approached the four hour driving time my family was getting tired of being in the car until they saw the ocean in Pismo Beach. The excitement began. Check in was very quick and the manager was very knowledgeable about the area. They also gave me a printed map of shopping areas and restaurants. The rooms were very clean and spacious. We visited during rain season but the resort was so nice it made for a better experience in my opinion because we love the weather. The Spy Glass Inn restaurant is just the right size for the guests. Not to big and not to small. I would recommend the Alaskan King Crab diner. Awesome flavor and the drinks are made perfect. They do not cheat you on the alcohol. The drinks are made the way they are supposed to be made. I really liked that. Many pictures were taken. Humming birds stopped by to hang out on my balcony during the rain and stayed. They were less than five feet away and didn't scare off. The Spy Glass Inn is one of the best resorts I have stayed in on a long history of finding new and exciting places to visit. The staff was very polite, respectful, knowledgeable of the area and well customer oriented. I thank the Spy Glass Inn for a well accomplished 11 years anniversary I planned secretly for my wife to getaway.

Room Tip: For couples, get the room with the hot tub inside. Very nice. I had children with me so I got a roo...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ricardofogel
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Stayed there as a family for a night on our way down to LA. The hotel was easy to find, very close to the highway. There is plenty of space for parking, even just in front of the room. Unfortunately we had a ground floor room, so couldn’t enjoy the views – but didn’t really matter. We had booked via booking.com, and check in and out was easy and efficient. The room was ok, warm, neat and clean, with a spacious bathroom. We enjoyed a very nice dinner at the restaurant, with friendly and competent staff. Breakfast on the terrace was great as well. Would come back for sure.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank just_travelling_99
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We were here for two nights after Thanksgiving. Front desk was courteous, friendly and extremely helpful with activities. The room was clean, comfortable and the balcony view was fantastic. The condition of the room was a little worn, but everything considered: price, location, easy beach access etc., it was well worth it. Would definitely stay here again.

PS. Hotel is close to Monarch Butterfly Grove, awesome place to visit and see the Monarch butterflies this time of the year!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 26, 2012

It's cozy, clean, and cost efficient. It's three miles away from the Pismo Beach pier and all the yummy food and candy stores. It's next to all these amazing resorts that probably costs three times. But I got Oceanview room, second floor, and it was serene and quiet. All you hear is the ocean. I saw ppl fly kites in the garden.. it was surreal how perfect it was. The interior is nice. There's a wall furnace for heat.

Room Tip: Pay more for the ocean view.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 26, 2012

First rate. Not 4 diamond or 5 star, but homey, comfortable and an unbeatable value!! We thoroughly enjoyed our mini-honeymoon at the Spyglass. We will revisit often. Well worth your hard earned money! Take advantage of the "pay now" discount.

• Stayed: November 2012