“Gorgeous rooms, steps from the beach - loved it here!”

SeaCrest OceanFront Hotel
Ranked #9 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Warrington, United Kingdom
“Gorgeous rooms, steps from the beach - loved it here!”
Reviewed January 2, 2011

We stayed one night at the SeaCrest resort as part of a 3 week trip to California in September / October and out of all the places we stayed, this was one of our favourites.

Accommodations are divided between several different blocks ranging from 2 - 4 storeys around the central reception / pool area. We were in one of the larger blocks in a standard king room - I seem to recall rooms with a view were available for a supplement but as we were only there for one night we didn't parktake, however we did have a partial ocean view from our balcony (also a partial car park view, but I'm a glass half full kinda gal!).

The hotel is located on a cliff overlooking the Pacific Ocean, so is not right on the beach, but the beach is accessible by way of a couple of flights of steps (quite steep, not for anyone who has issues with walking) down from the hotel.

The hotel is, I believe, a fairly recently refurbished property, and it really shows. The style of the room was kind of modern retro - shades of orange, brown and cream, cool patterned wallpaper - we thought it was really funky but not sure whether it would be to everyone's taste. The room included a large and comfortable bed, sitting area, desk and large flat screen TV with various HD channels which was a nice surprise. There was also a fridge in the room but no microwave that I recall. The small balcony area had two comfortable chairs / loungers and a small table, perfect for sitting out with a coffee in the early morning watching the sun come up.

Breakfast was served in the reception area, with food in a separate room off to one side and seating on the outside patio. During our stay a large wedding party was at the hotel so breakfast was fairly busy, but everything was kept well stocked and there were plenty of places to sit and eat. Offerings included the usual toast, bagels and fruit as well as some very tasty muffins and pastries, a selection of juices and some very good coffee.

Free coffee, newspapers and internet access were all available in the lobby. Soda, snack and ice machines were located on each floor.

The hotel was fully booked due to the wedding and reception being held at the property that Saturday night, but although staff must have been busy they were friendly and courteous when we checked in and out.

We paid just under $130 (inc taxes etc) for our stay here which for a Saturday night in September compared well to other properties in the area - this was by far the best value place with any kind of proximity to the beach. Note that if booked directly with the hotel, a Saturday-only stay was not available at this time of year, but we booked via hotels.com where there was no issue - worth considering for anyone experiencing similar problems as I believe 2 night minimums are not unusual at that time of year on the coast.

I would definately recommend this hotel to a friend, to a stranger, or to anyone on Trip Advisor wanting a well priced but great little hotel in the Pismo Beach area. My only 'complaint' was that we had to leave after just one night, as we would have loved to stay longer - if we ever do a similar trip to the west coast again I'm sure we'll be back!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2011

We stayed at the Seacrest for one night whilst touring along the coast returning from San Francisco to LA and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here.
When we arrived the staff were friendly and welcoming and the room was well furnished, a good size and had a large balcony with a lovely sea view. It is in a fabulous setting, high on the bluff above the ocean. There was a pool and a hot tub and we all made straight for a swim after a long day's touring, afterwards we took a walk down to the beautiful beach and strolled along to the little town of Pismo Beach. There was a continental breakfast provided, bagels, toast, cereal, juice, fruit etc but it was great to start a day with a free breakfast in such a pleasant setting.
This is not a posh hotel and there is no bar or restaurant here but there are plenty of places in town and we enjoyed our evening meal of fish and chips in Chele's and drinks in a bar with live music. (Harry's corner of Pomeroy Ave & Cypress St). We were told that a drinks licence had been applied for - which would suggest that a bar was to be added to the hotel facilities.

• Stayed September 2010
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 22, 2010

I bought a Groupon for Seacrest Resort, it was $150 for one night plus a wine tasting, which was advertised to be worth $317.50 all together. Well, that was a big lie. When I first got there, I expected a much nicer room (considering that the Groupon was advertised as being worth over $300). The room was underwhelming: size was average to below-average for a hotel, the carpet was COVERED in stains, the furnishing looked like it was picked in the 70s. We asked to look at other rooms, but they were all the same (same stains on all the carpets too). We were going to stay a second night, the hotel clerk said he'd give us the Groupon rate of $150 for the second night. But we were curious if that was really a good deal or not, so I called the front desk pretending to be an inquiring traveler and was told that their rates are $129/night!!! And they had the nerve to charge me $150 for the second night just because I came in with a Groupon. When I confronted the manager about this, she just gave me the run around about hotel rates being variable. She said "on the weekends, our rates might be up to $199 per night." The problem with this argument is that (a) I WAS there on a weekend, and (b) even if the room is $199/night, that doesn't allow them to advertise the Groupon as having a $300 value [ps. the wine tasting was worth $50, I checked this with the business.] The manager did nothing to appease us so we just left. The hotel was underwhelming, the service was disgraceful, and the advertising is misleading.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
SeaCrestManagement, Manager at SeaCrest OceanFront Hotel, responded to this review, December 23, 2010
Dear ShoobyDooby,

On behalf of the management and staff of the SeaCrest Becah Hotel, please know that we take all comments from guests very seriously; we too are disappointed when any guest does not have a completely satisfactory experience at our hotel. However, you unfortunately arrived during a December weekend when the Central Coast was experiencing record amounts of rainfall for a consecutive four-day period. It is this adverse weather circumstance which contributed to much of your displeasure.

Our Oceanview Rooms regularly cost at least $199.00 for holiday season weekends and often more. This was the prevailing rate when we contracted with Groupon and you took advantage of this offer. At that rate, the complete package including wine tasting is certainly valued at $317.50. However, as I’m sure you know, being an experienced traveler, any hotel or airline, especially when business is adversely affected by conditions outside its control, such as weather, will lower its rates to entice last-minute customers. That is the sole reason such rooms were being offered at $129.00 over a weekend when you inquired. Booking ahead assures a guest of the best accommodations, guests waiting till the last minute sometimes can take advantage of a bargain if rooms are available. The stains you mention were also due to the extremely heavy rains; prior guests had simply dragged water and in some cases mud onto the carpets. We spent the next few days cleaning up.

The room décor and furnishings are custom made specifically for the SeaCrest as part of our extensive renovation completed in 2009. Fashion, like beauty, is truly in the eye of the beholder.

We value greatly our partnership with Groupon and have sold over 600 of this particular promotion; our guests have been very pleased with their experience.
London
Reviewed November 22, 2010

We stayed here to break journey as we drove from San Francisco to LA along route 1. We weren't really sure what to expect but the previous reviews were good and we were pleasantly surprised on arrival. The check in area was nice and modern with fresh cookies and complimentary coffee. The rooms were spacious and again very modern and tastefully decorated with an amazing view of the ocean. We were so tired after the long drive, and decided to try out the hot tubs which stayed open until 11pm and were just what we needed- there are three large hot tubs which were pretty much empty at 8pm. We had free wireless internet in the rooms although the signal wasn't great.
Overall we thought this hotel was excellent value for money as the views are amazing and it is well located for a stop off if you are diriving down route 1. The breakfast was also pretty good with fresh bagels/ fruit etc.
We would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay here in an instant if we were travelling down the west coast again.

Orebro, Sweden
Reviewed November 20, 2010

Perfekt to stay over one night when you are driving along Highway one. Clean room and comfy beds. A little noicy from the ocean. Continental breakfast included. Whery nice hot tub in the pool area.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Jörgen H
Santa Maria, California
Reviewed November 16, 2010

This hotel doesnt seem like much from the outside, I've driven past it for years and never given it a second glance. The rooms are clean and nice sized... with a microwave and refridgerator for convenience and the restrooms are not fancy or luxurious but the view cannot be beat and the sound of the ocean makes it all worthwhile. You can sit and watch the sun drop into the ocean and listen to the waves all night long for under $250.00 per night. The bed was very comfortable and I'll definately return and re commend in the future.

Corona, California
Reviewed November 13, 2010

I sincerely hope you read this and consider what I have to say before making the mistake of booking a reservation at the Sea Crest Resort at Pismo Beach. This was our first visit and it will surely be our last. It will likely have to come in a number of installments as I'm going to warn you about a number of problems I noticed during my stay.

We drove 220 miles with friends intending to have a relaxing long holiday weekend stay at Sea Crest and it turned out to be anything but. We arrived mid afternoon Thursday and enjoyed a lovely dinner at the Customs House at Avila Beach. We retired for the evening and at about four a.m. the 'fun' started. We were fast asleep in room 127, the one nearest the office. Our friends were in 128, and they too were awakened by the racket but for them it was buffered by our room.

If you know the sound of a hydraulic lift gate going up and down accompanied by the grunts and groans of a truck driver noisily unloading his cargo then you can appreciate my alarm when I was awakened by that racket around four a.m. The delivery was right outside my door and it lasted about an hour! My wife is a sound sleeper but unfoturnately I'm not. I couldn't get back to sleep and I was sure that my rooting around in the dark room or sitting with the light on would keep her awake so I took my book to the lobby. The night crew was useless and didn't even have enough class to apologize. I'm guessing from the attitude the person on duty they might hire refugees from Wal-Mart as they exhibited their, 'sorry about that' attitude..

Whe you're awakeded like that and nothing is done about it you start to notice other things, some not so little. The acoustics in the place are terrible! At best it sounds like your room is in the middle island of the freeway with cars and trucks noisily speeding past. That alone is enough is enough to keep you awake. But just about the time you get to sleep the refrigerator comes on and it sounds like a World War two airplane engine starting. I still haven't figured out what the wind tunnel sound is but I'll be here for anouther two days to investigate..

I think this is enough for one visit to this site but as they say on the radio, be sure to stay tuned. In the future we'll discuss my attempt to get a nap later that afternoon and how it was interrupted and accompanied by a seranade of various pieces of lawn maintenance euipment right outside my door! If you want to get some rest I would strongly suggest you look elsewhere. The crowning event of the day was the weak kneed apology of the 'manager' who said that becasue we booked through expedia, " I can't do anything for you." That added insult to injury and just made me enjoy writing this all the more. If you haven't been persuaded to seek lodging elsewhere then you should look for my next installment where we'll talk about the other little annoyances like the TV remote that doesn't work and how customer service is non-exitent here.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
MickeyAce, Owner at SeaCrest OceanFront Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2010
Dear HHH1918057,

I am responding to you on behalf of the ownership of the SeaCrest Beach Hotel, its Management Company and the entire executive staff of the hotel itself.

We are all extremely dismayed at the conditions which interrupted your night's sleep and caused you such upset. The fact that any middle-of-the-night delivery should never have happened and that it was entirely the fault of the shipping company, unexpected, and outside our control, does not lessen our concern or responsibility for your comfort. You are right, it was an unacceptable occurrence.

From the moment you brought this matter to our General Manager's, you have had his complete attention. While we appreciate the business from the Online Travel Agents, we strongly suggest in the future, you make your travel arrangements directly with the hotel for a number of reasons, ease of refund is only one of them.

We understand that "sorrys" can only go so far. But we can't turn back the clock. What is in our power to do . . . and we have now repeatedly done, is offer concessions for a return visit which you have in e-mails from the General Manager.

Just say the word, and we will make the arrangements for you! Or, if you have any other proposal you believe can provide satisfaction in this matter, we're listening. Please feel free to contact the General Manager.

Otherwise, we can merely wish you well in all your future travels.

All the best for a Happy Holiday Season