“Great place!”

Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Clovis, California
“Great place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

We brought our two kids and golden retriever this past weekend to stay at the Seacrest for the first time. Very cool that they allow dogs (and don't charge some huge rate for it!). Absolutely loved the location and the hotel grounds. Very nice beach access direct from the hotel and the hotel has pool/hot tub overlooking the ocean. Also have picnic area (where we got takeout ribs from Mo's and had dinner overlooking the ocean). Love the fire pit area too and the continental breakfast was good as those go. Hotel stafff was friendly too...Our only dislike was the late check in (4 pm) and the room wasn't ready when we attempted to arrive a little early. The pet room was okay but a bit dark and the carpet s were stained needing replacement. Also, the room location was in the bowels of the hotel and laundry carts were everywhere (so had to dodge them while loading / unloading luggage). Would definitely stay again but would inquire with room on different floor / location!

Room Tip: I would stay on one of the upper floors to avoid laundry carts and would reserve by phone to get roo...
1 Thank MKColburn
GMSeaCrestPismo, General Manager at SeaCrest OceanFront Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear MKColburn, Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I appreciate the nice comments and feedback as well. We will be changing out all the carpet in our guestrooms this month. I am glad you had a nice time with your golden retriever. We hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (515)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

During our previous trips to the Central Coast, we would stay at a lovely Shell Beach hotel. This time, however, our family of three, including a teenage son, wanted to try something new. Since the SeaCrest featured great rates, we gave it a try. Our three-night stay convinced us that we had made the perfect choice!

LOCATION: Directly off the 101, north of the Pismo pier, and nestled between the Cottage Inn and the Lighthouse Suites to its north and homes to its south, the SeaCrest rests on the bluffs above the water. To its immediate east is Marie Callender’s restaurant; in fact, the two share a parking lot. A fifteen-minute drive on the 101 takes you to San Luis Obispo, while a pleasant walk along the beach or a few minutes in the car get you to the pier and town. Tip: if you prefer to be in a less bustling, more tranquil vicinity, book a hotel such as the SeaCrest, which is away from the crowd of the pier and “downtown”.

HOTEL: The resort consists of a crescent-shape building with two, four-floor wings on either side. (The towers have indoor corridors and an elevator.) On the rooftop of the South Wing is an enclosed outdoor terrace with a fire pit. Additional fire pits are located on the property as are a number of hot tubs and a large pool. In the center of the “crescent” lie the lobby and breakfast area. Approximately four rooms are located on the ocean-front side of each floor in the North Wing. Tip: We prefer an ocean-front room for its size, amenities, and view.

ROOM: Our spacious, ocean-front, top-floor room held two queen beds; a 42-inch flat-screen TV, attached to the wall; long dresser with two drawers; microwave and large refrigerator; round table with two cushioned chairs, plus a sofa bed and coffee table.
Decorated in modern decor with hues of gold and orange, the furnishings appeared fairly new and in good shape. Being that hubby and I prefer a firm mattress, we found the somewhat soft bed fairly uncomfortable. Son, however, considered the pillow-top mattress to be “above-average”.
A ceiling fan kept our room comfortable; we did not use the wall air conditioner/heater.
My sole complaint about our exceptionally clean room concerned the number of dark stains on the carpet. Nonetheless, the majority of the rug must have been relatively dirt-free, as my white socks remained so, even after hours of walking without shoes in the room. (At checkout, Dustin asked about any issues or suggestions. He mentioned that new carpeting will be installed in a few weeks.)
A stunning view was afforded from the sliding doors (with a sliding screen), non-opening window, and enclosed balcony that transversed the width of our room. We loved that half of the balcony’s outside wall was clear, thus offering an unobstructed view of palm trees, rocky cliffs, and white-water. Two padded patio chairs and a small table made for comfortable outdoor seating. On the slider and window, white plantation shutters blocked the morning sun, allowing for restful sleep.
Although many couples and families with children were staying at the SeaCrest (it was Spring Break and the hotel was sold-out), our room was very quiet. We never heard a sound from the bordering rooms. I had requested the North Wing per a TA tip, as these rooms reportedly are larger than those in the other wing (I am unsure if this is true or not). My guess is that the North tower may be quieter as it does not have a rooftop deck. Tip: request a quiet room and one on the top floor.

BATHROOM: The one-sink vanity area was separated from the toilet and shower/tub by a door; both spaces were roomy. Not only did the large showerhead supply good water pressure, but also the waist-high shower jets (!) imparted relaxing pulses of hot water. The vanity, coupled with its two lower shelves, provided sufficient space for toiletries. Directly opposite, the ample-sized mirrored closet could store three or more suitcases. Pergo-type wood floors lined the entryway and bathroom.

BREAKFAST: With the ocean-front rooms comes a breakfast voucher at Marie Callender’s that includes two pancakes, two breakfast meats, two eggs, and juice or coffee. The meal, served between 7:00 and 10:00, was tasty.
Additionally, all guests receive a complimentary continental breakfast. From what I could tell, the following was offered: a variety of cereal and instant oatmeal, breakfast breads, assorted fruits, yogurt, pre-made waffles, hard boiled eggs, milk, juices, coffee, and tea.
I had read here on TA that the breakfast area, located on the first floor across from the lobby, becomes crowded, which indeed it does. Seating appears to be on the patio where fire pits keep the “diners” warm. Tip: to avoid crowds, go to breakfast earlier rather than later.

PARKING: More than enough free parking is included.

EXTRAS: So what makes the SeaCrest our favorite Pismo Beach hotel? It is the extras: the complimentary breakfast; round-the-clock coffee, tea, and hot chocolate, found in the lobby; freshly-baked cookies from 3:00 on, also in the lobby; two bottles of water and microwavable popcorn placed in our room; shower jets; two terry bath robes, in-room Keurug coffee; a large refrigerator instead of the mini kind typically found in hotels; complimentary wi-fi; lush grounds and magnificent views; oversized room; and friendly personnel. All staff, from the receptionists at the front desk and breakfast attendants to the housekeeping crew, were welcoming and accommodating. In particular, Spenser and Candace at the front desk went above and beyond in giving directions to Cal Poly. Emily likewise provided excellent customer service from booking to departure.
Overall, we were exceedingly pleased with our entire experience at the SeaCrest! We will return.
Tip: book early and check for money-saving packages on the website and Facebook page.

Room Tip: Request a quiet room on the top floor. Ocean front rooms are fantastic.
1 Thank 1TravelingFamily
Dear 1 Traveling Family, Thank you for your well thought out review of our hotel. I truly appreciate the nice comments about our hotel. Your descriptions and breakdown of the hotel are nicely done. We hope you will see us again.
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

This was our second stay at SeaCrest and we definitely plan on a third, and fourth and so on. The hotel is amazing in multiple ways. First, it's ocean front. There is nothing like hearing the sounds of waves crashing. Second, it is super clean and third, friendly staff. All in all, a fantastic resort property.

Our room was ocean front in the north tower. Our room was immaculate and we appreciated the extras like the bottled water, popcorn and Keurig brewer with quality k-cups. The beds and pillows were very comfortable and the room decor was very nice and inviting. There was a nice, large LG flat screen tv as well as a fridge and a microwave. The shower was large and had good water flow.

The hotel grounds are beautiful. We enjoyed eating outside many times with the ocean as our view. The pool and spas (3) are very nice as well. There were constantly maintenance workers around cleaning and picking up trash. The employees are all very friendly from the maintenance workers to the housekeepers to the front desk staff. A+++ all the way.

The continental breakfast was adequate, nothing special, but there is a Marie Callendars in the parking lot. A better breakfast would have earned a five star rating from me.

Our mornings were a treat as we drank coffee on our balcony and watched the dolphins playing in the surf. This was amazing and the kids will never forget it.

We can't wait to come back to SeaCrest!

Room Tip: request a high floor if possible
1 Thank M A
Dear M A, Thank you so much for your wonderful review. What a nice compliment that your second stay was as amazing as your first. I have forwarded your comments to our staff. We look forward to your third stay.
Sunnyvale Ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for the first time in February. The room was immaculately clean as well as the entire property. We had a room with a king bed in the south building. The view from the balcony was angled north west so we had a nice view of the ocean and the rocky cliffs up the coast, the grassy lawn and pool area, as well as the hills on the front side of the hotel. The room was well lighted with 4 lamps, the bed and pillows were comfortable. Good water pressure in the shower and nice full showerhead. The bath products were very nice smelling...mango shower gel and nice hand/body lotion. There were 2 complimentary bottles of water and microwave popcorn in the room...water replenished daily. Microwave and refrigerator included. Fresh made cookies are available in the afternoon. The front desk staff were all very nice and upon checking out I was asked for suggestions to enhance our stay. The continental breakfast was the usual fare. Waffles were toaster type and not the fresh made Belgium type I've had in many other properties. My only complaint about the hotel (and I would have given it 5 stars) is that there is only outdoor seating for breakfast....not a problem in warm weather. It was in the low 50's in the morning in February. There are tall pyramid type heaters but not that adequate unless you are very close to them. We shivered through the first morning's breakfast then went to Marie Callender's the next day. There is a discount if you are staying at the the hotel. I did mention to the front desk staff about the lack of enclosed seating for breakfast. I was told they are considering putting up some kind of tent enclosure for the winter months. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The south building has the best of all views!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marilyn J
Dear MarilynJ, Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I appreciate the nice comments and feedback. I do hope you will stay with us again.
Bakersfield, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

The SeaCrest is a fine hotel with ample parking, tasteful and clean rooms, nice balconies, gorgeous grounds, and good service. The various seating areas and pools are clean, well-maintained, and quite beautiful.

What's not so great are the other guests (which, unfortunately, is out of the hands of the staff). Our first indication that something might be amiss was the fact that every man, woman, and child checking in to the rooms was carrying up copious amounts of alcohol. And I mean everyone.

Our second clue came as we visited the beach, which is a quick trip down the SeaCrest's private stairs. The beach was crowded, and many folks found themselves waist-deep in the water wearing jeans and shirts, re-enacting pro-wrestling's greatest moves in the most colorful of language. Am I a snob? No. I have two toddler boys who don't need this kind of encouragement. Just as we left the beach, emergency personnel showed up to rescue someone from the water. Good, fast response if I say so myself.

Now, the SeaCrest is within walking distance to downtown restaurants and shops, however, parents of small children should be warned that you must cross a difficult intersection where the 101 lets out, all without a painted crosswalk. The drivers looked as worried and confused as we did, so bring your stroller.

Bedtime was a cinch with the comfortable beds and cool, fresh linens, but we found ourselves being awoken by what sounded like competing room parties. The SeaCrest guest services directory states that "quiet hours" are from 11pm to 8am. These revelers were likely not aware of this policy, as the whooping, cheering, glass-clanking, and kids yelling continued on past two in the morning.

Again, not the SeaCrest's fault (probably my own, due to my expectations of Pismo). I must add that our experience was also soured by my kids and husband coming down with a stomach flu that night. We left after just one night (we had reserved two nights), and to my pleasant surprise, the staff only charged us for one night without a cancellation penalty.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
GMSeaCrestPismo, General Manager at SeaCrest OceanFront Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear Violet K, Thank you for your recent review of our hotel and nice comments. I do apologize for the spring break activity. This is a popular beach this time of year. We hope you will return under less active times. And I hope everyone is feeling better.
Apple Valley, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

Everything about this place was great. The view, even from the partial view room was amazing. Grounds are well kept and very pretty. Staff was friendly and helpful also. Walk down about two flights of stairs to get to the beach. Free continental breakfast was good-boiled eggs, oatmeal packets, cold cereal, fruit, breads, danishes, etc, and yogurt. Only had two complaints-there are no highchairs! I have a small baby and they were nice enough to go to the Marie Callendars next door to get me one to use. Also, I had to go to front desk twice to ask them to stock towels in pool area. Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel. I will be going back this summer!! ( oh yes, I also loved that they had a Keurig in the room with quality K-cups!)

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms looked like they had an amazing view, but the partial view I had was really goo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Christina D, Thank you for your wonderful comments about our hotel. You can't beat the title; "Loved this Hotel!!". Very nice. I did notice your comment about the lack of highchairs. They have been ordered and ready for your next visit. Thank you!
Granite Bay, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

The hotel is very well kept. The pool and spa looks over the ocean. The room was very comfortable and the space was used well. Two minute drive to pier and downtown pismo. Breakfast was included and was more than a standard continental breakfast. Had waffles and hard boiled eggs which was plenty for us. Parking was free and so was wi-fi. Room service came from Marie calendar which is in the parking lot. They deliver quickly to the room. You can call and have the full menu available for delivery. That was nice. We will go back when we head to pismo again.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear CindyM, Thank you for your review of our hotel. I appreciate the nice comments especially that we are well kept. This is a tribute to our staff and their care of the hotel. We hope you will return to see us again.