“a peach on the beach”

Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
“a peach on the beach”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is our second visit to this little gem of an independent hotel on the beach. From the wonderfully inviting entrance, to the comfortable room, to the pool and sauna, pismo's wonderful wide sandy beach and within an hour of 217 wineries. Krug coffee makers in the rooms and complimentary sand dollars on the beach, whereever you can find them -- and where else can you find them these days? What could be better? The only thing better is better to make reservations if you are planning to come on a weekend or holiday.

Room Tip: We are a bit cheap, so we took the "no view" rooms in the new building. Open the door and...
1 Thank knfriedman
GMSeaCrestPismo, General Manager at SeaCrest OceanFront Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear KnFriedman, Thank you for your return stay to our hotel. It is truly a compliment when a guest returns to your hotel. I appreciate the review. Look forward to seeing you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Stayed at Seacrest a couple years ago and I guess we lucked out then, got a decent room looking over the pool and ocean. Enjoyed our stay enough to go back a couple days ago. This time around, not so much. Booked a 'coastal view 2 queens' - first room they tried to give us looked at a tree, with some peek of a sand between the branches. Pass. Room we ended up in, which I was told was our only other option, was in the 'north tower' 2nd floor, was dark and dismal, and looked directly at the wall of the main building. If you go onto the balcony, over to the far right side, yes you can see the ocean. It was a pretty big let down.

Other than that, the wallpaper in the bathroom is peeling off the wall, the thermostat in the room didn't work, and being on the 2nd floor, there was constant traffic going back and forth right outside or balcony. The people above us had a kid or something and there was constant pounding and running on the floor. I should have known better than to not get a top floor room, so I guess that is partly my bad. The breakfast seemed OK but PACKED with people wandering around with globs of peanut butter hanging off their knives, and little kids reaching in to grab bread and waffles with their hands. Pretty gross. We snagged a cup of coffee and headed into town for breakfast.

All in all, this experience left me thinking that the next time I am in Pismo, I will be checking into another hotel. If you do go to the Seacrest, just be sure to be careful as to which room you end up in, as you may not end up with what you were expecting.

Room Tip: Get a top floor room if you want peace and quiet, and make sure you get a 'view' room that d...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank sf-traveler1015
GMSeaCrestPismo, General Manager at SeaCrest OceanFront Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear SF-Traveler1015, Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I appreciate the feedback. I am sorry the views for the rooms that you were in were not great and that your stay was not pleasant as well. I am glad your first stay was good and I would hope to make your third stay wonderful. Please contact me personally at jamie.wallace@seacrestpismo.com.
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Great beach front hotel. Comfortable ,spaceous and well appointed rooms. Accomodating staff available to answer questions, give directions, make reservations and did whaterever we asked to make our stay more comfortable. Breathtaking ocean views. Continental breakfast yummy and convienient. Lots to do in Pismo Beach.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GMSeaCrestPismo, General Manager at SeaCrest OceanFront Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Debbie RJ, Thank you for the wonderful review. What a great title, "Piece of Heaven". It is true, it is an amazing location. We hope to see you again soon.
Lancaster, California
Reviewed March 14, 2013

So my husband and I have never been to Pismo Beach even though we've lived in California for over 20 years. I bought a Groupon deal for SeaCrest Ocean Front Hotel and got a room facing the ocean. I knew that from the moment we got there that I was going to love the place. The room that we got was complete with everything, microwave, mini fridge, big screen TV and a little patio with beach chairs and the view right in front of us was astounding! It was worth the extra money to get the oceanfront room. I totally recommend this resort to everyone....

Room Tip: Oceanfront hotel room is the way to go...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear mizparty69, Thank you for your recent review and staying with us. I certainly appreciate the nice comments. I am glad the hotel satisfied what you needed. Please come back and see us.
Long Beach, California
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We booked this hotel for a weekend getaway, and were not disappointed. The hotel was easy to find and centrally located so there were lots of restaurants nearby if we didn't want to go to the Marie Callendars next door. Checking in was a breeze, and the staff was friendly and courteous. Our ground floor room had a sliding glass door with a great ocean view, which led to a private patio from which we could walk down to the beach. What the description doesn't tell you is that the beach is not only just a "few steps" away, but those steps are stairs. However, there are places to sit up top to see the view if you don't feel like navigating the stairs, or if the tide is in. Either way it's a great way to see the sunset.

A continental breakfast was included, and it was just okay, standard continental breakfast stuff --- cereal, oatmeal, sweet rolls, bagels, coffee and juice. I will say the coffee was good!

We had what I believe was called a "deluxe" king-size room, and it included a small fridge, microwave, and coffee maker. The furniture and decor was clean and well maintained, extra blankets and pillows available, the bathroom was basic but clean, and there was plenty of hot water. The sliding glass door was sticky but we managed to get it open. The one occasion when we needed maintenance (TV wouldn't come on) a person was there within 5 minutes and fixed it right away.

When I checked out I was given a coupon to use next time. We will definitely be back! Loved it!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear teniralc1812, Thank you for your good comments about our hotel and our staff. You are right, our steps to the beach is a beach stair. We are fortunate to be the only hotel on the cliffs here to have direct beach access. We look forward to having you stay with us again.
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I reserved a room for my wife, my daughter and myself. there was the option of no ocean view or standard room. I booked a standard room. Not all standard rooms have ocean views, they wanted to charge me more to move rooms. I paid $40 more and they moved me one floor down, directly below the previous room, with a mostly blocked ocean view. both rooms were right in front of a big tree. the rooms are pretty dirty also, but furnished nicely. nice pool area, nice staff, poor overall value.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear SantaCruzer007, Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I am sorry that the room we moved you to was not much better than the standard. I apologize for the increase in price. Please contact me personally, I would like for you to return to see us in a room with a better view. jamie.wallace@seacrestpismo.com.
Irvine, CA
Reviewed March 12, 2013

For a last minute trip to Santa Maria for work, I booked a hotel in Pismo Beach for my wife and baby girl to hang out at while I worked. I was looking specifically for a Family Hotel and TripAdvisor has their nifty FAMILY search feature so I used it (and of course other search engines). This hotel was one of the results.

Of all the results available, this was one of the two most expensive. The others were booked, or not in the quality range I like, which is to say somewhere above a Motel 6 and below a Four Seasons, so my choice was based almost exclusively on a lack of options.

We had an oceanfront room with a balcony. The view of course was beautiful. In front of our room was a grassy area and a fence on the edge of the sea cliff. I noted that the rooms below us had patios with direct access to this area and their kids often played out in front of those rooms which is a nice option for families and to just have such direct access in general to the public areas. I do believe that the ocean view from the patio rooms is at least partially obstructed simply because they are set back a bit and at ground level, whereas the balconies see over the top of everything. It's a tradeoff.

The room was very clean but had details overlooked. The bathroom fan did not work. I was able to repair it temporarily. The chromed tissue holder cover had fallen out of the wall so I had to prop it back in. One of the glass panels on the balcony had a large crack running down it (was NOT a safety issue). There was a shortage of outlets, which is not uncommon in older structures.

The A/C and heat worked fine and was relatively quiet inside, but the compressor and fan motor are in the balcony so it can be a little loud on the balcony if running the fan or A/C. For the most part we just left the balcony door open for the sea breeze so it should be a non-issue for most people most of the time.

The room was clean and the maid service was very good. The beds were comfortable and warm with plenty of pillows, and the flatscreen TV size/picture and channel selection were very good. The room came with a reasonably sized refrigerator. Still a hotel fridge but not the tiny kind. The toiletries were very good, I thought. My wife didn't complain, so that's a good sign. The coffee maker was a Keurig that used Emeril Lagasse K-Cups, not bad, but obviously you could bring your own if Emeril bothers you. I asked the front desk for a corkscrew and they happily obliged. Check-in was painless. Parking was plentiful. Hotel is easy to find.

The front of the balcony is made of reinforced stranded glass (for safety) which gives you a nice view when sitting in the chairs (don't you hate sitting on your balcony to see the view but the chair is below the rail so you're staring at solid plaster, wood rails or feel like a felon peering through your metal prison bars?). This glass is only 50% of the balcony which is good and bad. You can have privacy from people looking up as they walk by on one half, or you can bump both chairs together on the other half to enjoy the view. To me, the balcony was big enough that I liked having both options. The chairs were comfortable and a small table is there as well. The balconies are private from both sides.

The hotel offers a service based on a small sign in the room on the table where they will bring you a bottle of wine or beer(s). You just pay the price listed, no charge for delivery. I thought that was a creative idea. The prices were reasonable for the convenience. Alternatively, there is a liquor store about a minute away by car, maybe ten minutes by foot.

There is also a magazine in the hotel binder in the room where you can order meals using a third-party from surprisingly quite a number of restaurants in the area, and this service picks it up and delivers it to your room. We used this service the first night we were there and I was quite impressed. Ordering was painless, they take credit cards over the phone, it came in about 45 minutes and it was still nice and hot and tasted delicious. They state they do not mark up any of the restaurant prices, they only charge a delivery fee which I can't remember but I remember thinking it was reasonable for the convenience.

Before I left for work the following morning, we stopped at the continental breakfast to get some coffee (very good - they offer different flavor creamers as well). If the main coffee station is busy, there is another coffee station inside the lobby. The offerings were what you typically get for a Continental Breakfast. Trays are available if you want to take breakfast back to your room.

My wife carried the baby in a sling and we walked down the very steep steps (with handrails) that are on hotel property to the beach. It was low tide so there were plenty of people and lots of room to walk around. It was very nice. The beach is split into two parts, a very large long part and a small part, divided by the rock outcrop you walked down to get to it. It appears, but I don't know, that the smaller part would not be accessible during high tide, nor would you want to be in that part too long as tide comes in.

There are several benches to sit and enjoy the view on site, a pool and jacuzzi with lounge chairs, tables and chairs with umbrellas, I believe I saw at least one BBQ (please confirm with hotel), several grassy areas the kids staying there played on, an outdoor seating area with a fire pit. Several hotels have left thruways between their properties on the ocean side so you can walk in front of a few properties and enjoy the view and their gardens as you go. The hotel offers beach cruisers for rent. We did not use them, but its a nice option since the center of town and the pier is so close.

While I was at work my wife attempted to take the baby into town which is maybe a 10 minute walk with only one tricky intersection to cross. She was cat-called an uncomfortable number of times from different people as they drove by so she turned around. Weird, right? I didn't know what to make of that. I mean, she's cute and all but....she's pushing a stroller. Haha. Anyway, she turned around and had a glass of wine and enjoyed a window view with the baby at Marie Callenders which is basically inside the hotel parking lot.

My wife gave it two thumbs up and was able to keep herself and the baby entertained all day while on property, and she said she had a great time. This may be our "Pismo, Go-To Hotel" for that reason.

All in all, it is a very nice property. The little maintenance oversights aside, because of the location to downtown Pismo, the ocean and beach (including direct access), and the quality of the remainder of the property, the pleasant continental breakfast, the food service vendor, and family friendliness, it was worth the additional expense.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SQUANTZ73
Dear Squantz73, I truly enjoyed reading your review, very thorough and descriptive. I am glad the hotel was good for your wife and baby. I also appreciate the feedback on the maintenance related items. But I am pleased your wife gave us a two thumbs up. Hope to see you again soon.