“Exceptional Value”

Ranked #10 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
City of Angels
“Exceptional Value”
Reviewed September 30, 2010

This is not my first stay @ Oxford Suites, nor will it be my last. I have stayed twice this year and will be staying again in December.

I use to stay @ the Inn at Avila Beach (for more than 5 years 2-4 times a year)..... However, for the money I spend I am willing to give up having the ocean across the street, the jacuzzi in my room, and the false sense of "upscale & exclusive" over priced resort town.

I am paying increasingly less per trip by staying @ the Oxford and receiving increasinly more for my money.

Oxford gives me the room I request, a full breakfast every morning, a complimentary evening appetizer (Lasagna, Chili & beans, Pasta, & Shepherds pie are more than appetizers) and 2 glasses of excellent wine (except Sunday) in their adult only lounge, fresh cookies & apples throughout the day for two people.

The rates have been lowered from $139 > $129 > $95/85 per night. Including "on-season" & weekends...with my cat or a friend. The guest shop offers excellent Napa Valley wine & beer for a low cost....there is a weight room & 2 internets, an adult & child's pool & jacuzzi.

The outlets are one block down, there is a Trader Joes up the street, a grocery store & starbucks as well. The beach is a short hop & skip away..... There are a number of inexpensive massage therapists in the area, as well as excellent eateries.

The staff is friendly and helpful.

What's more is the rooms are immaculate and in excellent repair....

I'm happy here.....so it's not as quaint, cozy & romantic as Room 203 Inn at Avila, but at least the roof doesn't leak every single time it rains, the bathtub drains, & and even if I have to share the spa, there is a working on/off switch.

Extremely sad as I am not to be staying @ the Inn at Avila..... there really is no other choice for me.

• Stayed September 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Lake Arrowhead
Reviewed September 28, 2010

Easily accessed hotel, right off Hwy 101. If you qualify for the AARP discount, it is very affordable. Cocktail/snacks provided in the evening and a good hot breakfast in the morning. All included in the price; we paid only $85 w/our discount. Two computers available in the lobby, free of charge. Loved the spanish architecture in the lobby. Overall, a great choice in Pismo.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Modesto, California
Reviewed September 28, 2010

We stayed in this hotel Sept. 24 - 26th based on the recommendation of someone else and was glad that we did. We travelled with 3 young children plus grandma and stayed in the family suite with 2 queen beds. Grandma stayed on the pull-out couch. The rooms had a mini-fridge, sink, and microwave oven. There was a TV in each room along with a DVD player in the front room. A decent movie selection was available to rent down in the lobby.

Breakfast was much more than I expected! It's similar to a buffet line and you order what you want to eat from that morning's choices. The food choices while we were there were eggs, hash browns, sausage, oatmeal, pancakes (or french toast on the 2nd day), fruit, cereal, toast & bagels, variety of juices, milk and coffee. A very hearty breakfast and very filling! Just don't forget to get your daily breakfast tickets from the main lobby or they will not serve you.

Drink tickets were also given each day for the evening reception. There were a variety of choices.......beer, wine, pina coladas, etc. The snacks in the evening were just about enough for dinner (esp. for our kids). One of our nights, the choices were spaghetti, chicken noodle soup, tortilla chips & salsa, fresh veggies & dip.

The pool was heated and my kids spent hours in it!! The only thing to be aware of is that the pool is only open from 10 am - 10 pm, with adults only from 9 pm - 10 pm. Both nights, our kids were politely asked to leave the pool area at 9 pm.

This hotel is only minutes away from Pismo Beach and right next door to the outlets. We would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to anyone else travelling to the Pismo Beach area.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
San Jose, California
Reviewed September 19, 2010

I had stayed at this wonderful hotel for two days while on business in the Pismo Beach area. The hotel is conveniently located off the 101 and has comfortable rooms (photos attached). This property offers a good breakfast bar, and daily two free drink coupons at their cantina with friendly bar staff (Bob).

The only dissapointment is that it's an older property with no elevator access to the second level. In my room, there was a problem getting online where I got a message questioning the security certificate of the internet source.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 6, 2010

we stayed in this place last month and loved it. The rooms were super clean and well put together. It was quite at night while we slept, the breakfast was awesome, the service was great and the price was wonderful. i would highly recommend this place if your going to pismo beach.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Danville, California
Reviewed July 24, 2010

In a nutshell - much better than the average Motel 6 and some of the other low rent local motels, but not deluxe - good for families that need an extra room but don't want to pay ES prices. However beware of the very loud freeway noise - if you do stay here, be sure to get a 2nd floor room in the back that doesn't face 101.

We stayed here on a busy Friday night. Checkin was fast but be careful to check your bill as the rate confirmed on Orbitz did not match the rate at the desk. We requested a 2nd floor room and received one facing the 101 freeway - big mistake. The freeway is quite close and noisy at all hours, particularly when one of the many big trucks pass. However much to my shock we all slept well - must have been really tired. Anyway the room itself is fine - furniture a bit dated but the bed was firm, the towels were new and reasonably plush (much better than the ones we have at the Courtyard tonight) and 2 flat screen TVs - one with DVD player. Also a small frig and microwave. The two rooms together were smaller than some single hotel rooms I've had but still enough space for a family of 4. There is an AM/PM next door where you can stock up on snacks and beverages. The happy hour was nothing to write home about particularly the mediocre free wine and beer but but the food selection was better than some hotel lounges. The free breakfast was really outstanding - better than many I've seen at HIX and RezInn. The small pool was never crowded, in part due to the usual overcast weather. The staff and service was excellent - everyone was helpful and friendly. Free wifi was good.

All in all, I think the complaints are overblown - this place is hard to beat for the price, particularly for families that need extra room. However, if you are a couple and can afford to spend a little more, you'd be better off at one of the chain properties in SLO (see my other reviews).

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Central CA
Reviewed July 19, 2010

The property is adjacent to FWY 101, is brimming with noisy action sounds in corridors and the walls are PAPER thin! I could NOT relax one moment as I feared my own children were disrupting neighbors, then when we finally all went to sleep, our neighbors were rudely pounding the wall behind our bed because my husband snores, and then they proceeded to bang (or throw something at) the window to our room and scared me half to death...I wanted to call mgmt. right away about the harassment, but worried that we were already complained about, and just stayed awake with worry most of the night. I have 3 young kids and never knew if something was going to happen to them with the angry neighbors' antics! I was so appalled and have never had such problems with ANY of our many hotel stays. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, evidentally.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
WesternTrvlr, Manager at Oxford Suites Pismo Beach, responded to this review, July 20, 2010
Thank you for your comments. We would like to convey our deepest apologies and are disappointed your stay did not meet your expectations. Please do not hesitate to contact the front desk when you are having the difficulties you described. We want the opportunity to address any concerns immediately and to do our best to solve the problem at hand. Our staff includes an on-site uniformed security officer who is available to assist guests as needed. We ask that you consider another stay at Oxford Suites so that we can prove to you that your experience was a one time event, not a common occurrence. Thank you again for taking the time to comment on your stay.