“Oxford Suites - Pismo Beach”

Oxford Suites Pismo Beach
Ranked #11 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Reviewed April 1, 2007

I was a little apprehensive booking here because of a very few unfavorable reviews located elsewhere. Especially so, since my wife is extremely picky when it comes to cleanliness. However, we both agreed that this place was great! The suite we had was very clean, the pool & breakfast area, was spotless and so was the lounge where the evening reception is held (Great munchies!)
I think even more important was the friendliness of staff, without exception - everyone we talked to was very friendly. This is a GREAT kids-friendly hotel. We had two with us and they had a fantastic time in the pool. By the way, the Wireless internet connection worked great in our suite and we were located at the far end of the property. We WILL stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank bobcap
Write a ReviewReviews (1,456)

Reviewed January 28, 2007

I am actually from this area but when I moved out-of-state and came back for a visit, my family suggested Oxford. I must say, I was a bit underwhelmed with the exterior lobby/courtyard and pool area but the staff proved themselves courteous and helpful. But it was the recent room renovation that compelled me to give my recommendation! Furniture, carpeting, draperies, and bedspreads were all new - even hardwood flooring in the foyer. The bathroom was clean and all hardware (sink/bathtub) were in good working order. Overall, my husband (who has several years experience in the hospitality field) and I felt safe and very comfortable at this location.

Note that we did not eat breakfast on site, nor did we use their pool. But for visitors who intend on seeing the sites and not lounging around the motel, this is your place. (As a former local, I suggest Sycamore Mineral Springs in Avila Beach or Apple Farm in SLO for those purposes).

Stayed: June 2006
4  Thank kkc1205
Reviewed January 1, 2007

I am puzzled by the few negative reviews I have seen on here. I have stayed at this hotel for years, on at least six occassions so I have a fair idea of what you will experience here. I also am VERY picky on hotels, dining, etc. I travel on business a lot and usually stay in Hyatts or Hiltons. I last stayed at the Oxford Suites in November and will be staying here in a couple days again.

I travel to Pismo because I have family here. I found this hotel when I was looking for a suite type hotel for my kids and I. The only other nearby suite hotel is the Embassy Suites (my usual hotel of choice when travelling with my kids) in Lompoc or San Luis, too far for me. So, I stayed in Pismo at Oxford.

The hotel was nice and I viewed it is a good value for my money. The rooms were clean and comfortable, although a bit dated (this was prior to their re-model). When I arrived for a stay last July, I found that all rooms had been re-modeled. They all have tastefull modern decor, granite countertops and furnishings. The beds were upgraded too and have down (or at least down-like) comforters. Very comfortable, nicer than Embassy Suites and even comparable to my top of the line mattress I sleep on at home. All rooms have two TV's and high speed wireless internet, that surprisingly works great (speeds of about 1.0 mbps or more).

I have only stayed here with my two kids (ages 3 and 5) and my wife. I have never had a problem with me or them being treated poorly. They have a very small store in the lobby and the staff even helped me find a video for my kids to watch in the room. We have never used the pool or spa but it looks acceptable.

The staff has always been great. I have been to their evening reception. I have never had the food, but I did get some wine. The wine they serve is horrible, but after all it is a free reception and I am a bit of a wine snob. If you are in the mood for a decent glass of wine (you are in wine country), go up the street to the Scolaris supermarket. They have a surprisingly extensive selection of some great local wines.

I have eaten at the breakfast buffet each time. I have stayed here during peak and non-peak seasons and have never seen much of a line to speak of (one reviewer complained his wife had to wait in line). They have never seemed too strict on the ticket policy (some complained about that too). The last time I went there I came home with my tickets because they never asked for them. The breakfast is fine and does change from day to day. The last time I stayed there they ran a little low on bread on my last day. The staff serving is always polite and can even accomidate special requests. The breakfast always included some sort of meat (ham and eggs or bacon or sausage). I think the breakfast is better at the Embassy Suites (with their made to order omlettes) but the breakfast at the Oxford is not bad. If you want a great breakfast, drive up to the Apple Farm in San Luis, but be prepared for a wait.

I had one problem on my last stay. The high speed internet did not work in my room (it is wireless). The staff did not know much about the service (which is typical in the industry), however, this is my specialty and I could tell one of their access points was down. I told the staff what the problem likely was and they sent someone up to move me to a new room (I was then able to get signal).

I have never had a problem with noise from other rooms or from outside. My last stay was on a weekend, there were a lot of families there, but it was not out of control (I hate noise). When you are in the room you do not hear it. They have security after hours and everything really quiets down after 11pm. I have never stayed on a first floor here, so I do not know if this is true when someone is above you. My last stay was in a room along the front of the hotel (overlooking the 101). There was no freeway noise in the room.

I rate my overall experiance as excellent here because:

This is a great value for what you get.
They are competatively priced when I have shopped pricing in the area (there are cheaper places to stay and many more expensive places to stay).
This is one of the nicest hotels in the area (I have stayed at many in Pismo prior to finding this one).
The rooms are clean and surprisingly nice and modern thanks to their recent renovation.
The staff is friendly.

If you want true luxury, stay at the Dolphin Bay Hotel (at 4 times the cost). It is very nice. For something more reasonble, the Oxford Suites is the place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
9  Thank larmcc
Reviewed October 8, 2006

The Oxford Suites met our expectations – it is a classic suites hotel with beer/wine and generous snacks at night and a full american breakfast. My wife was not too happy to have to stand in line to get the breakfast, which for her was not a highlight (she prefers a more European style breakfast). The hotel has a pool and whirlpool which we did not have a chance to use. We would probably stay somewhere else in the future – for example in San Luis Obsipo or in Cambria. Pismo Beach is a classic CA beach town..not too over developed like the Southern CA beach towns.

I personally did not have any problems with the hotel staff.

• Stayed: September 2006
1  Thank germanfan
Reviewed September 18, 2006

This is a very nice true "Suites" style motel/hotel, but it is not on the beach which is a short drive away. Free manager's reception and free hot breakfast buffet are featured. Grounds are nice, and as mentioned it is a good hotel if you have children and/or pets.

I don't agree with the complaints about the extra charge for children: With the free breakfasts and additional use of towels and bedding, of course they are going to charge extra; and of course it will be a problem if you don't tell them when you make your reservation how many people (and pets) are in your party.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank fromdelmar
Reviewed September 13, 2006

I was not sure what to expect when I found out this hotel had a renovation done recently, but when I arrived, I was impressed. It is on par with other hotels with higher ratings I have stayed at. I found it very helpful to have access to wireless internet in my room and the staff was both accomodating and pleasant in all of my contact with them. My stay at this hotel was beyond my expectations! I will definately stay again next time I am in the area.

Stayed: August 2006
3  Thank lilac#18
Reviewed September 5, 2006

This hotel is a hidden gem on the central coast. We found that for the price and amenties you would be hard pressed to find a better deal.
The rooms were wonderful. They had been newly renovated and featured granite countertops and brand new beds. They also included a refriderator and microwave in the room. We found the two TVs to be very helpful.
The breakfast was great. They serve a full hot breakfast and this is probaby one of the better meals I have seen at a hotel. The evening reception was also a very nice touch. Loved the free wireless in the rooms.
The staff was very helpful and attentive to our needs. There were alot of children around(Which is good or bad depending on your view). But I have stayed in Pismo before, and when you stay in August expect children everywhere. I would certainly stay here again and will recommend it to others. I just hope the prices will stay low. Thank you Oxford Suites for the most pleasant stay I have had in a while.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple