“Great hotel for small meeting”
Review of The Cliffs Resort

The Cliffs Resort
Ranked #12 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Edmonton, Alberta
“Great hotel for small meeting”
Reviewed April 2, 2010

I attended a week-long scientific meeting at the Cliffs, booking the highest end room available at the conference rate. This got a room near the ocean end, overlooking the pool with ocean view. Very nice room, as another reviewer noted, with bidet in bathroom, first time I have seen that in North America too. Very minor problem of a sharp edge on a bathtub fixture which gave me a cut - easily avoided once known about. All other aspects really good. Meeting room a bit taxed by about 80-100 people. Catering very good. Breakfasts in the hotel restaurant really good too.
People visiting the beach seem to overflow the small part of the parking lot reserved for them so it can be a bit hard to get a spot in the self-service lot. On the last night we used the valet service which was complimentary; very helpful to us at checkout the next morning.
People should be aware that this area is not super warm in March; also Shell Beach accessed via stairs from the hotel is not as nice for swimming as Pismo Beach a few km south. Pool is not super warm either but hot tub fine.
All in all for a meeting this is a great place, and I will be recommending for "romantic getaway" also since sure it would be good for that too.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
cliffs_resort, Manager at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, July 27, 2010
How great to see a review online from one of our conference guests! I'm glad you took advantage of your time down here and enjoyed one of our suites (we fixed that tile after we read your review). I'm glad you liked the food service; our banquet chefs and the catering team want to make sure that service for groups is on par with that of our restaurant (while on a larger scale!).

Taking advantage of the valet parking is a good tip for any of our guests. Since its included in our facilities fee (along with other amenities like the pool, fitness center, and wireless internet access) its a nice benefit for people staying at The Cliffs.

We hope to see you back again soon, whether for business or pleasure!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Hebrew first
Los Angeles
Reviewed April 1, 2010

We just came back from 3 nights, and we really enjoyed our time there. We had room 247, which is one of the larger suites, I suppose. The view was perfect. The bed was superbly comfortable. I think it probably was the most comfortable hotel bed I slept on in a long time. The room was very large, but had a strange lay-out. The jacuzzi was smack in the middle of the room, and there was no door to the bathroom. Very strange. The hotel looked like it has gone under some renovations, but not quite done. The fixtures and some of the furnishings look very 70s. Oh, and the loo had a bidet, which is the first I've seen in the US hotel. (This is the old fashion bidet, not the new computerized multi-functional Japanese toilet with all the bells and whistles.)
The restaurant was Mexican-themed, and it was okay. They had a breakfast buffet there every morning, and it was a good value ($14 pp). For dinner, I'd recommend the place next doors, Lido. We ate there twice and were impressed each time - though it was a bit more expensive.
We did not get any spa treatments, so I can't comment. The gym was small, but nicely equipped. The pool water was a wee bit too cold for me, and the jacuzzi wasn't hot enough.
Overall, we'd return if we can get a good deal. We paid about $250/night, which I thought was reasonable.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
cliffs_resort, Rooms Executive at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, April 6, 2010
Glad to hear you loved the beds! We chose our new linens to complement the mattresses, which were already very comfortable, and the suites have a lot of extra pillows to take advantage of. You're right, the second floor suites are among the largest in the hotel (the suites get a bit smaller on the higher floors).

The layout is definitely something different, I try to describe it almost as a "honeymoon suite". While some guests want something a bit more private, I think most guests enjoy all the sunlight and fresh air that the open floor plan allows.

I understand your comments about the fixtures being a bit dated. While we were able to complete a total room renovation this summer, we thought it would be most important to focus on the room decor and furniture instead of the bathrooms for now.

Next time you are with us, I recommend checking out the pool again. I just recently found out that while it appeared our heater was on, it may not have been operating efficiently at all times. But the company has come out to fix the error and it is consistently comfortable now!
Oakdale, CA
Reviewed March 23, 2010

First floor ocean view suites do not give you an ocean view - at least room #155 does not. If you want to look out onto the ocean (not the grass/plants/walkway) ask for a room on the second floor or higher. We paid more for an ocean room suite because we wanted an ocean view. We asked to be moved to the second floor or higher and were told they were all booked. I suspect it had more to do with the fact that we had our children with us than the availability of other ocean view suites at the time of our request. The hotel did offer us a discounted rate, after we voiced our displeasure. On the positive side - the first floor ocean view suites allow for super convenient access to the near by beach access pathway.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
It is true that the higher floors have a more direct view, but those first floor suites have a bit more room. I know we tried to keep your family in the most spacious suite we had open since it had to accommodate four people, but I added your preference for the higher view to our notes so we can make sure we hit the right combination the next time you stay with us. I think that this time my agents assumed it would be easier to fit your family comfortably into a ground floor suite that has a bit of a separation between the bedroom and a living area/pullout bed, as opposed to a higher floor room that may not have had room for the kids to sleep. I am glad that you liked the easy outside access; it can be pretty fun to have your own entrance into the hotel so you can settle right in after a nice day outside!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 23, 2010

We needed a romantic getaway sans kiddo, so we booked a package at The Cliffs through Luxurylink.com. For $700 (after taxes and fees) we got 3 nights at The Cliffs in an oceanfront suite, a bottle of local wine and gourmet cheeses in suite after arrival, buffet breakfast for two each morning, a map of local wineries and vineyards, free 1/2 bottle of wine with entree purchase at Marisol restaurant (on site at the hotel), a $20 gift card to a wine store in San Luis Obispo, plus chocolates and a bottle of wine on our final evening. Not bad, right? We had a few minor issues during our stay, but overall felt that we got an enormous value for our money and that the location of this hotel is hands down the reason to book a stay here. We'd definitely return.

We arrived on a Friday afternoon, just as every other hotel guest was also arriving. The parking lot was completely full, as was the overflow lot across the street. Not wanting to valet, we just waited around for someone to vacate a parking spot. Parking is definitely in short supply here, but if you self park it is free. Check in was quick and smooth. There was only one guy working the front desk, but he was incredibly polite and helpful. The lobby is attractive and there's a comfortable sitting area looking out over the pool and ocean. We headed up to our room, #447. This is where I will say that I don't think The Cliffs is a true "luxury hotel." It's quite nice, but it's not up to par with The Four Seasons or something. You can tell that it's an older hotel that's been renovated, but there are still some places where you can see its age. The door to our room was difficult to open and close, as was the door to our balcony. They're old and don't work all that well. The carpet in the stairwell is worn. The showers look like they could use some new tile. If you've paid $300+/night to stay here, you might be disappointed. However, I was able to overlook these little details because (a) we'd paid such a good price for our stay and (b) the service and views at The Cliffs were so extraordinary as to make the little things unimportant. When we opened the door to #447 we were greeted with the most stunning ocean view. We could see all the way up and down the coast. It was just gorgeous. The room was spotless, the furniture was tasteful, the bed was super, super comfortable and the big ol' flat screen TV was much appreciated. There was a big chaise lounge on the balcony, along with two chairs and a table. We were able to take our complimentary wine and cheese out on the balcony and enjoy the beautiful sunset.

The public areas of the hotel are very nice. We completely enjoyed the pool area and fire pit, the pathway along the cliffs and Marisol restaurant. These places are all nicely updated. The bar at Marisol is very crowded on Fridays for happy hour, so if you're in a room overlooking the restaurant you'll probably get some noise. We didn't have any problem with it over at our room. We had dinner at Marisol on Friday night and thought the food was just okay. We really enjoyed the breakfast each morning (those freshly made waffles are delicious!) but weren't as thrilled with the lunch and dinner selections. If you're staying at the Cliffs, you're within walking distance of some of the best food in Pismo Beach, at DePalo & Sons, a gourmet grocery store located down the walking path from the hotel. The food here was just ridiculously amazing. Their fresh food selections, wine and freshly baked cookies cannot be beat. Proximity to DePalo is another good reason to stay at The Cliffs!

Service was very good throughout our stay at The Cliffs. On our first night there, our neighbors turned up their radio a little too loudly and we eventually made a call to the front desk to see what could be done about it. The hotel manager responded personally, knocking on our door and checking to see which room the music was coming from and then talking with our neighbors. We also had consistently good service whenever we went to the front desk to ask a question. The guy who brought up our wine, cheese and chocolate was very nice and friendly. Two thumbs up for all the hotel employees!

If you stay at The Cliffs you are right near the freeway entrance, making it very easy to get out and explore the area. We went to downtown Pismo Beach, drove out to the Edna Valley and Paso Robles for wine tasting, into San Luis Obispo for lunch and out to Morro Bay to sightsee. The Cliffs is in a perfect location and we were really able to take advantage of the local sights. Of course, given the views from our room it was sometimes hard to leave the hotel. Oh, there is also free WiFi throughout the hotel, which was very easy to set up and use.

To sum up, we really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. There are a few little things that could stand updating, but the amazing views, friendly service and great location really made up for them. I recommend this hotel, and suggest you check out the package we booked at Luxurylink.com for a great deal. Definitely spring for the oceanfront rooms at the north end of the hotel, as they are quieter and offer the very best views of the coast.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
We will certainly be glad to have you back! The Luxury Link packages are a really fantastic way to try out hotels, and we get a great response from the guests who booked with them. The best thing about the program is that it's all prepaid... for instance, usually guests pay a facilities fee daily for the amenities at The Cliffs (pool, fitness center, newspapers, and of course valet and wireless) but in your reservation it was already taken care of and included in the price!

I printed out your review and shared it with my staff; they were as glad as I was to see that the service they provide can override physical issues with the building! While we plan the recarpet and repaint the staircases sometime this year, things like new marble will be a considerable investment, but I am glad to hear that our employees had you enjoying the hotel rather than focusing on future areas of improvement.

We are very glad you stayed at The Cliffs and got a chance to take advantage of all the amazing things the Central Coast has to offer. Hopefully, we'll get to have you with us again so you can check out the constant improvements we're making to the hotel!
El Dorado, Ca.
Reviewed March 22, 2010

Paid $350.00 for a room that was horrible. We were put on the lower floor where guests with dogs stay, we had no animals with us. The room had chewed up furniture from previous dogs. Our sliding door faced the walking trail and all day it was non stop people walking by peering into the room. When we work up at 5am to leave by 6am there was no hot water. We called the front desk and were told because the heater was on another floor, fifth I believe that it could take awhile for the hot water to make it to our room. We were told to run the hot water and we should have some in about 30 minutes. First of all, what a waste of water. But since they recycle it we ran the water and went for a walk on the beach, came back and no hot water. We left without showering. Low and behold the hotel calls us at 1pm to ask why we had not checked out. Didn't know we had to check out since we only paid for one night. If I wanted to stay another night (NOT) I would have let the front desk know. I sent an email and letter to complain and never received a response from Mike Casola who I was told was the General Manager. Please don't waste your money. Lisa

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Traveler95623
cliffs_resort, Owner at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, March 23, 2010
Lisa, I am very sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience last summer! None of us at The Cliffs could believe that your letter went unanswered; is there a chance it was sent to The Shore Cliffs down the road? I noticed that you posted the same review to their TripAdvisor site, and am worried that they received our letter but weren't sure where to forward it.

Regardless of how the lapse in communication occurred, I would love to touch base with you and have you in for another chance. Our Front Desk staff has located your profile from your last stay and updated notes regarding your concerns. If you do return, I recommend an upgraded view for more privacy. While the nonview rooms are easily available online, our Ocean Pool rooms or even Partial Ocean rooms are on higher floors so the path is not a factor.

You'll also be happy to hear that we have installed a new heating pump in the hotel so the water circulation has not been a problem this spring. I can guarantee you won't experience a cold shower if you are able to give us another chance. My apologies again for the miscommunication, and we hope to hear from you soon!
Santa Maria, California
Reviewed March 13, 2010

Easy check in, beautifully appointed room with a great ocean/pool view and an amazingly comfortable bed. The unbelievable rate on Travelzoo of $89.00 weekdays and $109.00 made this the best deal for an ocean view room I have ever found and I will go back.

Everything about the hotel was great and I would highly recommend the hotel itself.

The only drawback was that we had chosen it so that we could have dinner and drinks in the bar and not worry about driving. (We were celebrating a birthday.) After seating ourselves (on a not busy Friday night) we found the restaurnat hostess to get someone to our table. It took at least 20 minutes to get a waiter and another 20 minutes to get water and a drink. The food was uninspired and the atmosphere in the bar was ridiculous. There were four guys working the bar, one was yawning the entire time we were there, one was flirting with the women and two were messing with the computer system. They must not want the business.

• Stayed March 2010
Boston
Reviewed March 7, 2010

We stayed at the Cliff after a trip to Napa while driving the coast of California. The staff was very helpful and some seemed like they spent most of their off time surfing. A very colorful and friendly bunch.

Happy hour was welcome upon our arrival. The drinks were good and the food average.

The room was very clean and may have been recently renovated. It was at bluff level (bottom floor walk out the door to the bluff overlooking the ocean) high ceilings great view had a raised and comfortable bed that was right next to a large jacuzzi tub that separated the sleeping area from the bathroom area. I thought the floor layout was a bit odd but it did work.

From the sleeping area you step down to the seating area which was very well appointed and made for a great place to watch the sunset and enjoy a glass of wine.

If you stay here or go to Pismo there is a small family owned and operated Deli 1-1/2 blocks south on the right. I dont recall the name but it is right next to a surf shop and worth a visit. We bought the best mozzarella I have ever had. The clerk said the owners father makes it every morning at 4:00am.

If we make this trip again we will definitely stay at the Cliffs Resort.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
cliffs_resort, Rooms Executive at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, March 8, 2010
Thank you for your review! I think our staff represents the Central Coast lifestyle quite well, so we can best advise our guests on how to enjoy the area from all different perspectives!

From your response, I think we had you staying in our Edgewater suite. While we did renovate all the guestrooms' decor this summer, Edgewater underwent a complete makeover. You're right, it's definitely a unique floor plan, but I think that makes it even more special (pictures are on our site, for anyone interested).

*By the way, the deli is called DePalo's, and that mozzarella is FANTASTIC, I agree.