“Summer getaway”

Ranked #12 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Irvine, California
“Summer getaway”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

You can never go wrong in wine county especially if you stay at The Cliffs Resort in Pismo Beach. It is centrally located, minutes from the white sands of Pismo State Beach or wine country to the north. The food is five star and the view is incredible. Staff is very helpful and the spa is great. It is really a hidden gem. Discover the tranquility of the ocean view, the access to white sands and short trip to beautiful wine country.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
The_Cliffs_Resort, Manager at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
sctrstlrd, A "hidden jem" ~ thank you!
We're honored to be a part of your summer getaway, I am so glad you enjoyed our hotel and restaurant. You are right, we are fortunate to be surrounded by great wine country as well, to the north and south. We have maps of the wineries at the Front Desk if we can help you find some new favorites!
Take care, we hope to see you again soon, Stephanie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Hebrew first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed in this hotel for one night while traveling south on PCH and the only regret we had was we were not staying here longer.The check in was quick and efficient and the room was average size bright and clean.The only draw back was there was no safe in the room which we found unusual.We ate in the bar/restaurant on the patio area overlooking the sea and the coastline,absolutely beautiful.The food was very nice and the service attentive and professional.The hotel itself is modern and bright and all the staff are very friendly.We would definately recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a sea view, the hotel has stunning sea and coastline views.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dec2011 ~ I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that we could be a part of your California coastal tour. While we do not provide a safe in the room, we have safety deposit boxes accessible through our Front Desk, I'm sorry that wasn't made clear to you. Hopefully you can stay a litle longer on your next trip and soak up the view!
Take care, Stephanie
southern california
Reviewed July 20, 2014

My husband and I just got back from staying at the resort for 4 nights. We were there for an convention. We stayed in a king room with a partial ocean view, with a balcony. I loved our location as it was quiet and facing a field and the ocean which was nice. Our bed was very comfortable and the room was modern and clean. Only one very small complaint that there was no safe in the room, but that was remedied by Kevin at the front desk by providing us a free safety deposit box. The deposit box was located right next door to the lobby desk. Easy to get to. The room did have a hair dryer, and a small coffee maker and small refrigerator.
We experienced the spa by having a couples massage. We opted for the relaxing one. Clay was the person that worked on me, and he was gentle, professional and very polite. My husband and I both left the massages relaxed and renewed.
There is a great walk way behind the hotel, it’s an easy walk to other hotels and other restaurants. There are also stairs off the walkway where you can walk down to the beach. We walked down to the beach and enjoyed the tide pools.

The hotel is situated above the beach, so in order to get to the beach you have to walk down quite a few steps, but its a nice beach once you get down there.
We had drinks and snacks, wonderful nachos by the pool. Food was good at the pool, but service was a bit spoty.
We also had wine in their bar but were disappointed on how long it took to get service. But to our delight once the person came and took our order his attention to service and his knowledge of wine was delightful.
We also experienced Sunday brunch, which was great. We both enjoyed the chef made choose your ingredients omelets. They also had the nice array of fresh fruit, Danish, bagel, toast etc. they also served a very tasty poached salmon which I had on a toasted bagel. And of course sausage, eggs, bacon .
We really enjoyed our stay at the hotel and would highly recommend it. Everyone we dealt with had a great attitude and really went out of their way to help. I really was most impressed by the staff at check in and lobby area. Any time I came in to ask a question, get into the safety deposit box, check in or out they were just so polite, professional and helpful.

Room Tip: We had a higher floor, king partial ocean view and that was quieter. It was a bit far from the pool...
1 Thank diamondfairy
diamondfairy ~ It sounds like you had a chance to experience almost everything our hotel has to offer, and I'm glad to hear how much you enjoyed it! I am thrilled at how impressed you were with our staff, as taking care of our guests is our ultimate goal! We hope to see you again soon for another convention, a vacation or both. By the way, I love your photo of our tidepools!
Take care, Stephanie
Gilroy
Reviewed July 20, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for our 5 year anniversary. This is the first time we have gone anywhere without our kids in 4 years, so we were excited to stay at a beautiful property.
We had a partial ocean/pool view. We could clearly see the ocean, it was beautiful. Facing the pool is very loud though. I think I would request a different location next time. The room itself was ok. Nice, but not a 4 star rating. The bed wasn't very comfortable.
There is a beautiful bar area at this resort. All of the bartenders were extremely attentive.
We stayed Thurs-Sat. At 5:15am on Friday morning, the fire alarm went off. No fire existed, but it was quite the way to wake up. All the hotel guests waited outside for it to be turned off. After 20 min, it was finally turned off and we were able to go back to our rooms. We have 2 small children... Sleeping in was something I looked forward to, but the alarm foiled that plan.
There were no apologies... No offering anything. We ate breakfast at the hotel restaurant (it's not worth the money. Standard, at best), and had to pay for it. We were woken up at 5:15... The least they could have done would be to pay for our breakfast. Very disappointing.
We will not be staying here again. It's not worth the money for the service we received. I couldn't recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Kylieaga
Kylieaga ~ Thank you for taking the time to write your review, and let me first apologize for your early morning disturbance. As a mother of 2 young boys, I understand how much you were looking forward to relaxing and sleeping in. As you mentioned, the ocean/pool view rooms overlook our pool and the noise that can accompany that, the partial ocean view rooms (across the hall) provide a quieter stay with a serene view up the coast. We would love another chance to provide you with the stay you were hoping for, whether it is with your husband or the whole family. Please contact me if I can help arrange that. stephanie@cliffsresort.com
Paso Robles, California
Reviewed July 18, 2014

The Cliffs Resort is ideally situated over-looking the coast, the physical condition is good, the staff are friendly, and while the price is high (a little over $300 with fees), it's a bargain for the location and amenities. What's to complain about?

After getting back to the room shortly after 1:00 AM, we were rudely awakened by the fire alarm shortly after 5:00 AM. OK, these things happen, use the stairwell to egress from the 4th floor only to find the route is almost completely blocked by a maintenance cart and GALLONS of paint. Yes, I videotaped it. Squeeze past the obstructions and meet a crowd of fellow guests in the front parking lot. The alarm continues to sound for over 10 minutes while everyone stands in the parking lot. Fire trucks don't arrive and there is not one hotel staff member anywhere to be found. Not in the parking lot, not in the lobby, not at the front desk. The alarm stops and still no hotel staff or fire personnel to advise what the guests should do next. Finally people start filtering back into the hotel, GUESSING this was a false alarm. A group gathers at the front desk and eventually a hotel staff member returns to the desk from an interior hallway. When cornered and questioned by the guests, the hotel staff member advises it was a in fact a false alarm. When questioned further about why the fire department didn't respond, the hotel staff member said he had received a telephone call from the fire department within minutes of the alarm activating and that HE had cancelled them. The hotel staff member couldn't explain why no one was available to brief, coordinate the safe evacuation of guests, and to ultimately report the "all clear" to the guests in the parking lot. Later local fire officials were contacted and hotel staff reportedly cleared the items blocking the stairwell.

To say the least, I was totally dismayed with this hotel's response to an emergency situation. In fact, they failed miserably. Had this been an actual emergency, their failed response could have lead to disastrous results.

When I stay in a $300+ accommodation, one of my expectations is that I will reasonably safe. After this experience, with this hotel, that expectation no longer exists.

6 Thank CaliforniaBeachBum54
The_Cliffs_Resort, Manager at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
CaliforniaBeachBum54 ~ Thank you for your review, we appreciate you sharing your experience as we always want our guests' perspective on their stay. We take our guests' safety very seriously, and we have reviewed in great detail with our staff the appropriate way to handle emergency situations. The night the fire alarm went off there were several circumstances that led to the alarm sounding for the length of time it did and I apologize as I know it disrupted yours and all of our other guests' sleep. Our top priority is your safety, so if it means the alarm sounds longer while we investigate to be sure all is well, I would choose to have it sound rather than silence the alarm. Again, we have talked with our staff in great detail about how they could have handled the situation better, and I am confidant moving forward we will be better prepared to handle guest questions/concerns. Thank you again for your time, Stephanie
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

We always enjoy our stay here. We stay at this hotel at least 6 times a year. It is the best hotel you'll find between Santa Barbara and Monterey. It's location has a breathtaking view of the ocean.

Rooms are spacious. A dog friendly hotel, which is of our requirements when choosing a 4-5 star hotel.

I use their gym which is adequate.

We enjoy their dining and bar menus as well as the ocean view once again. Coffee is free every morning....woohoo!

Staff, including Valet, is exceptionally pleasant.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2014
The_Cliffs_Resort, Manager at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Amanda K ~ Thank you for being such a loyal guest and for the wonderful review! Above all, I am glad to hear that you are well taken care of by our staff. We look forward to your next stay!
Stephanie
Bakersfield, Vermont
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Love the room and views. The water falls at the pool were great at night. My wife loved her 90 minute massage. Hotel staff was very friendly and I liked the valet parking. Never worried about my corvette. The only issue with the restaurant was the service was a little slow getting drinks out. The food was great including the clam chowder the best we have ever had and those fish tacos!!. Sunday Brunch was great the host was checking on the customers which is very rare to see any more he came by several times to check on us. Impressed me. Overall great experience and will be back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
The_Cliffs_Resort, Manager at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Jeff R ~ we're honored that you chose our hotel for your wife's birthday getaway, and so glad you both enjoyed your stay! Service is our top priority and David, our host at Marisol, is a great example of this. He loves checking in with our guests and ensuring that everything is perfect! Thank you for the great compliment on the clam chowder (the best you've ever had!), that says a lot.
We look forward to your next stay (maybe your birthday), Stephanie