“Great Place”

Ranked #12 of 27 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Fresno, ca
“Great Place”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Just returned from a two night stay at The Cliffs. We were in Room 447 and had a beautiful view of the ocean. This room is not overlooking the pool and therefore was not very noisy. The bed linens were luxurious and there was an abundance of bath towels. The amenities provided in the bathroom were top notch. We had a jacuzzi tub in the bathroom and bath salts were provided. The tub was amazing. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They give you bottled water if you ask for it! Quite a change from some hotels that will charge you $4.00 for a bottle of water. We tried the breakfast buffet one morning but we weren't impressed.

We hope to return soon. Loved it here.

Room Tip: Room 447….great view. Top floor….Not over the pool.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
cliffs_resort, Manager at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Jennifer S ~ I'm glad you found your stay with us quiet and relaxing and that the staff were helpful. It sounds like you enjoyed the bath as well ~ the suites have a great view outside, but the amenities in the room (like the whirlpool bath) are also pretty fabulous!
We look forward to your next stay, Stephanie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Hebrew first
San Jose, California
Reviewed January 3, 2014

The property and room were beautiful, and we were very happy with our one night stay. The food was great and the resort was right on the bluffs overlooking the beach. I would highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for a place to stay near Pismo Beach.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
cliffs_resort, Manager at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
DanielSan1980 ~ Although it was a quick trip, I'm so glad you enjoyed your time with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed January 2, 2014

My fiancé and I LOVE Pismo beach area and vacation there often. We have stayed in a few different hotels from Pismo to SLO to Avila beach and we have always wanted to stay at the Cliffs. Since i had a gift card for the Cliffs that was given to me for a birthday we decided to stay here during xmas when rates aren't as sky high as they are in the summer. We upgraded to a partial ocean view and when we checked in the view was nice, however we were very close to the freeway and could hear the cars. The fireplace kept going on and off and the internet wasn't working in our room. The next morning we went to the front desk and the guy who helped us was really nice and was able to upgrade us to a full ocean view for free. The room was pretty much the same but no fireplace :( and our ocean view (which was beautiful) was over the pool and hottub which can be a bit noisy. But it was still nice and after 10PM the pool closes and we were able to hear the waves crashing which was great. We also opted for the bfast buffet for $20 bucks a day. I also wouldn't do that everyday like i did on this trip. Day 1 great, day 2 blah, day 3 i was over it since they do not switch it up at all and wouldn't let me use my credit towards the regular menu which looked yummy! Basically it was the same exact food each day. The bed was ok, the sheets were rough and the tissues were like cardboard. I asked the maid if she had other tissues and she said to try the toilet paper which was softer but not much better on my poor nose! Check out the best westerns down the street for same view (if not better) and nicer rooms! Also, Sycamore Hot springs in avila beach is similarly priced but you get soooo much more for your money including a private hot spring on your balcony. I went here for a massage while i was on this trip and it was definitely worth going to a different hotel for! Bottom line, cliffs is nice but i will not be staying there again. The major redeeming quality was the staff who were beyond nice and friendly. It's also dog friendly so perhaps if i had my pup with me i would have appreciate it slightly more.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
cliffs_resort, Manager at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Shara219 ~ thank you for taking the time to write your review. While our hotel was not to your taste, I'm glad you were well taken care of throughout your stay. We consider our staff our best amenity! I hope you continue to enjoy Pismo Beach and our area in the future.
Take care, Stephanie
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Just returned from a girlfriend getaway here. Stayed here for a four night after Christmas and left before New Years eve. Lovely staffs, my favorite was Louie at the front desk - excellent and great customer service... he made the stay so enjoyable. My wirehaired dachshund named Touie was in heaven with this resort. My bestfriend and I flown in from the east coast to celebrate my 40th birthday. Words can't describe how wonderful and magical our experience while at the Cliff in Pismo Beach,California. I saw the most beautiful pacific sunset, staffs were kind and helpful, property elegant and boast the best location on the block. Love the fact the hotel caters to pet owners as well as family. My Touie and I will most definitely return to fall in love with this resort all over again. Thank you the Cliffs for making this my best trip ever. The Sunday Brunch was absolutely amazing and delicious!!!

MJ Jean - Ft.Lauderdale, FL

Room Tip: Best room is poolside /oceanview / center - best view of the coastal line
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
MJ ~ Thank you for choosing to spend your birthday getaway at our hotel, what a compliment! I'm so glad you had such a magical California experience while here. We've been having gorgeous weather and with it the beautiful sunsets you enjoyed. We look foward to seeing you and Touie again (maybe for your 41st birthday)!
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here two nights between Christmas and New Years. Lovely location with sweeping views. Staff was friendly and welcoming. This is a pet friendly hotel, so if you have a problem with dogs, maybe this isn't the place for you. The hotel also caters to families with children. Our room was spacious and the king size bed very comfortable. There is access to a beach below the cliff and we enjoyed walking the beach each morning. The Sunday brunch seemed on the expensive side ($36), so we skipped that. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would definitely stay here again.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
cliffs_resort, Manager at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
carkeekpark ~ I'm so glad you enjoyed your say with us. With the amazing weather we've been having, a morning walk on the beach sounds like the perfect way to start your day!
While our Sunday Brunch is priced higher than our weekday breakfast, it has so much to choose from. Our chefs provide overflowing platters of seafood, omelet, waffle, and carving stations, as well as pastries and desserts. Champagne and mimosas are also included. For guests of the hotel, we offer a special which includes Brunch for 2 for $36 (just ask at the time of your reservation).
We look forward to welcoming you back. Take care, Stephanie
California
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Just returned from a family trip here. While the hotel attempts to be fancy and does have nice rooms with good sheets and updated marble baths, the service really brings it down. We tried to check in after 3PM and our room wasn't ready until well after 4PM. When we carried all our bags to it, it had only 1 king bed and there were 4 of us in our party, so we had to lug everything back downstairs and wait even longer for an appropriate room. The room was pretty (#249) and had a spectacular ocean view, but the bathtub filled up with water every time our neighbor showered. After repeated requests for maintenance, we gave up and just never used the tub. The problem persisted during our entire stay. The front desk gave us $100 off one night for our trouble, which was nice, but it was a bummer we could not use our giant bathtub.

Valet parking was a mess and really uncoordinated. It's a lot easier to self-park if you can get a spot.

I called one morning for breakfast and was quoted 45-60 minutes for a bowl of oatmeal so I didn't bother.

The restaurant is typical beachy food and is good, but not great. I was pretty horrified to see that they use plastic cups for all beverages. You'd think a place trying to be nice would use real glasses, and is it just me or shouldn't hotels be making steps toward not adding unnecessarily to landfill?

The things that grossed me out the most was that this is a dog hotel. Should have done my research first. The entire first floor is dedicated to dogs. At the restaurant, a group of yippy dogs was noisily barking next to us. The lovely lawn by the pool seemed like a nice place for the kids to play except that it had either mounds of dog poop or squashed poop that someone had cleaned up, but not well. Even the walking path along the waterfront had poop on it. I love dogs, but was really grossed out and disappointed that our kids couldn't use the outdoor areas without the possibility of stepping in it. I am not saying poop was everywhere, but there was enough to curtail lawn fun.

The hotel has a small beach down a flight of stairs, but you need to make a quick drive to Pismo or Avila beach. At Pismo, eat at Moe's (bbq) and don't miss getting cinnamon buns from Old West (I think). Amazing.

For the Pismo area, this is probably one of the nicer hotels. I'm not sure I'd return though. If you have dogs though, go. They'll be very happy.

Room Tip: #249 is an oceanfront suite with a lovely view. But the huge bathtub fills with water when your neig...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ellenmac
ellenmac ~ I'm sorry to hear that your stay was unsatisfactory, we strive to exceed our guests' expectations and it appears that did not happen during your stay.
As we are a dog friendly hotel, we provide clean up bags around our property, as well as our staff maintaining the grounds. I'm sorry this is not what you found during your stay.
Despite this, I'm glad you and your family were able to enjoy the views from your room and our beach below the hotel. I appreciate the feedback from your stay and I hope that you will give us another chance on your next visit to Pismo Beach.
Long Beach, California
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We loved this Hotel.Kevin at the front desk was very helpful and nice.We had gone here on a Groupon and the room we got had a pool and Ocean view.We wanted a full Ocean view and so we upgraded to the Ocean Front for $100. Our room had a marble bathroom with a jacuzzi tub.The tub was the best I have been in.The beds were comfortable.Our view was amazing.I highly recommend this Hotel.I also liked the fact that they have a wonderful Restaurant called the Marisol.We are looking forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: We were in 349 on the Ocean and it was perfect.They do have 5 floors.
1 Thank PeggyChism
cliffs_resort, Manager at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
PeggyChism ~ I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to upgrade to one of our oceanfront suites. We've been having gorgeous weather and the ocean views are fantastic! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Take care, Stephanie