“Great location---horrible service!!!!”

Ranked #12 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
San Jose, United States
“Great location---horrible service!!!!”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

My husband planned a birthday's getaway for me. It was our first time here and we brought our Billy(dog) with us. The rep didn't want to help and said they has no more room for pet. However, when I told her I booked with spa package she was able to accommodated us. We were there early (after 3hrs of driving) and she said the room wouldn't be available until 3pm. We didn't get in our room until almost 4pm. The experience wasn't pleasure and it got worse when we dined at their restaurant: Marisol. My husband talked to the hostess to arrange bottle of champagne and some type of birthday desert/cake. We came to diner, got seated, and forgotten by the waiter. The bottle that my husband pick out never came. There was no desert/cake until he went in to talk to the manager, which had no clue about his arrangement. The mess up part was the hostess that talk to my husband was standing and didn't even acknowledge him. He even felt bad and didn't rat her out to her manager. I wonder what kind of people they hire to work for them because they're suck!!!!. They all really need some training in customer service.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tracee P
cliffs_resort, Manager at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Tracee P ~ Happy Birthday! Thank you for your review. In looking at the reservation, it looks like we were not initially told there would be a dog travelling with you. We love dogs here, but we do need to know if a dog is coming, as we have a specific floor with dog friendly rooms which we set up for you ahead of time. I'm sorry if you felt they wouldn't help you, I think the agent was challenged on finding an appropriate room for you, which also led to the later check-in. I deeply apologize for your not getting the wine during your dinner, I'm glad your husband spoke to the manager and you received your birthday dessert. Despite that, I hope you enjoyed your birthday getaway overall. Thank you, Stephanie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed October 10, 2013

My boyfriend & I stayed for one night. Our stay was relaxing & enjoyable. We were able to enjoy the pool, beach and bar area. We recommend getting a room on the 3rd Floor with the view of the ocean. The view is absolutely breathtaking. We plan on returning in November.

• Stayed September 2013
cliffs_resort, Manager at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
gosukigo ~ Although you were just here for one night, it sounds like you were able to enjoy many of our amenities. We look forward to seeing you again next month, we'll save a 3rd floor room for you!
Take care, Stephanie
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

Staff were friendly- guests noisy.

The attention to detail was shabby and most suspect we're the bed sheets- they looked as if they'd been slept in. For the price I would expect clean pressed sheets. Also bathroom tiny.
I think there are many more places to stay in the area with better value and the same view! I wouldn't return

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stephanie R
cliffs_resort, Manager at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Stephanie R ~ I'm glad you found our staff friendly, however I'm sorry you were not happy with your stay. We take great pride in our housekeeping staff, I apologize that your room was not up to standard. I hope you return to enjoy our area, even if it is at another hotel.
Reviewed October 6, 2013

There are 3 hotels and a restaurant in this location with a nice walkway along the cliffs connecting them.... nice for a stroll with panoramic view of the ocean.

We had a room with a view overlooking the pool and ocean. It was a good size with two queen beds. Some might find the bathroom a bit small. The room was clean (this is super important to me) and bedding was very comfortable.

What stood out was the helpfulness of the staff.

Food was average. They are spa services in treatment rooms off the gym. We had massages and facials. Both were good but if you are expecting a good size spa with lockers, showers, steam rooms, etc... they do not have the facility for that type of service.

Would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: there are corner rooms with very small balconies... we ended up with one of these and called down to...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
cliffs_resort, Manager at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Debrabeckham ~ thank you for your review. I'm so glad that you found your room clean and comfortable and that our staff was helpful and accommodating. As you mention, we do not have a full spa, but we offer many spa services in our treatment rooms with a talented staff of therapists.
We look forward to your next stay, Debrabeckham!
Take care, Stephanie
Orange, California
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I did not expect much from a beach resort so The Cliffs Resort is a great surprise. Generally properties that accommodate dogs are not much to write of, but The Cliffs is close to perfection for those who travel with or without dogs. We brought our Jack Russell Chihuahua and she found a doggie bed, doggie treat, doggie menu and doggie love everywhere she went. The rooms are well-appointed, clean and recently updated. The sliding doors open up to a nice dog lawn and chairs. Service was impeccable as well as genuine as it related to taking care of guests human or canine. This is a don't miss opportunity to show your dog what it's like to live. This is truly a commendable property top to bottom. No worries if you don't like dogs, they are restricted to the first floor rooms and the staff ensures they are unobtrusive or disruptive. We give The Cliffs thumbs way up as would our dog if she had thumbs. Pack up the dog or just yourselves and go to this perfect, well-priced-for-the-beauty-and-location beach resort soon, you won't regret it.

Room Tip: Avoid first floor rooms if you do not like dogs or do not want to risk a bark or two.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank beagle47
beagle47 ~ I'm glad we could pleasantly surprise you during your visit, and that you and your pup enjoyed yourselves so much! We truly love dogs at our hotel, but understand that not everyone does, and it's good to hear that both groups of people feel well accommodated. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Thank you so much for the wonderful stay. I would like to say a special thank you to the housecleaning staff for coming into my room and cleaning it as great as you did. Often I think it is a thankless job, so I wanted to make sure you know thati appriciate you!

• Stayed October 2013
cliffs_resort, Manager at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Katjaxs ~ I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay. That's true, the women and men in our Housekeeping Dept are our unsung heroes and so hard working. Thank you for your praise!
We hope to see you again soon, Stephanie
long island, new york
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is Amazing it is perfect I would change nothing (but the broken elevator). We opted for a non ocean view because the price did not warrant the upgrade. The view was nice and from the balcony you could see the ocean. The rooms were very nice and the beds were amazing. The breakfast was really good the service was amazing. The pool area was great and do to the fact that it gets chilly the poolside fire pit was great. I would decide fly stay here again and would recommend it to all. This small little beach town is a must satay on you way up the coast.

• Stayed August 2013
cliffs_resort, Manager at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
1travelking ~ Thank you for the glowing review, even down to the firepit! I'm so glad you enjoyed everything about your stay with us. I hope the elevator wasn't too much of an inconvenience and that the other one was near your room as well. We look forward to seeing you again soon! Take care, Stephanie