“Cliffs - Errors & Don't Care Attitude”
Review of The Cliffs Resort

The Cliffs Resort
Ranked #12 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Beautiful property & great location. But the staff - oh my. A bunch of kids busy chatting with each other or on their phones without regards to the resort guests.

Do yourself a favor - Do Not Stay Here

Valets and doormen routinely engaged in personal conversations ignoring arriving or departing guests. Not once in 3 days did they open the door for my fiancee'. I even opened the door for a very pregnant woman who was trying to juggle the things she was carrying and open the hotel door. Several employees were watching her and chatting - I walked across the lobby and opened the door for her. It never occurred to them to help.

Upon arrival we found that our reservation was messed up - 25 minutes later we had a room - not the ocean view on the 4th floor we had reserved but a 2nd floor room with limited view next to the elevators, ice machines and a barking dog.

Room was clean when we arrived - good thing because house keeping is a scarce commodity - you will find yourself tracking down the staff for clean towels and supplies as they do not service the rooms everyday...at least the forgot to clean ours - other guests we talked too had the same complaint.

At check out they charged us for a no-show fee for not arriving a day earlier - this was their error. Another 15 minutes and they 'accommodated' us by removing the extra charges. Three days later they put thru a charge for the 'no-show' - repeated calls and conversations with "managers" has resulted in stalls and promises of calls back by 'persons in authority' - still no call back.

There were many other little problems - so many that we found ourselves and other guests laughing - at one point we thought it must be a reality TV show because it was hard to envision such a poorly run resort. There are many fine resorts in the area that are staffed by adults who actually care about their guests - stay at any of these but avoid the disappointment - avoid the Cliffs unless you want to stay at a resort run by the Marx Brothers.

Room Tip: Best advice - do not stay here until they change management and the culture.
2  Thank TJEvansIII
cliffs_resort, Manager at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2013

TJEvansIII, I am sorry that you and your fiance left our hotel with such a poor impression, as we take great pride in our personalized service. It looks as though your online reservation was made for the wrong day resulting in a No Show charge and you not receiving the room you had requested. I understand your frustration in not receiving the room you had anticipated, and I'm sorry this marred your stay. I believe the No-Show charge has been credited back to your card by our Accounting Department. I hope you continue to enjoy our area, whether it is with us or at another local hotel.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

I stay here 4 - 5 times a year and have grown to love The Cliffs. The resort itself is very nice and has some great amenities. They have a great restaurant and bar, Marisol, that not only has great food for dinner but also has a wonderful breakfast. They have a pool, jacuzzi and fire pit for you to enjoy. The steps to the beach are right there for you to go down and check out the surfers and enjoy the beach. We love listening to the waves at night as we hang out in our room. This is also a dog friendly hotel and many people come to The Cliffs just for this very reason so don't be shy to vacation with your dog! If you want a special treat, then book an ocean front suite. These suites are absolutely amazing and you can't beat the views...yes they even have suites that you can stay in with dogs. They recently remodeled these suites and they are some of the best we have stayed in. We finally have some of our friends hooked too so now we can plan more trips to The Cliffs!

Room Tip: Book an ocean front suite to live the suite life!
1  Thank Stacey M
cliffs_resort, Manager at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Stacey, thank you for being a loyal guest at The Cliffs and introducing us to your friends! I'm thrilled that you have had a chance to explore our entire property and enjoy all of our amenities! We look forward to your next stay (either with or without your pup), we'll get your suite ready!

Reviewed May 19, 2013

The hotel is situated beautifully on the cliffs. Our room was comfortable and clean and the entire place was quiet. It was nice to wake up and walk down to the beach and then to opt to walk on the cliff walk. We ate in San Luis Obispo but we saw many enticing restaurants in the immediate area of the hotel.

Room Tip: If you can swing it opt for a full ocean view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
cliffs_resort, Manager at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Nancy, I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay, and were able to explore our beach and cliff walk!

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I would first like to start off with a positive note. The rooms are very nice and the view is beautiful. With that being said I was shocked with the management at The Cliffs Resort. My best friend and I decided to venture down south and stayed there for her 30th birthday on April 27th, 2013. We had a blast wine tasting then went to dinner and returned with the hopes of watching a movie and doing nothing. We both settled into our beds and were looking for a movie to order and that is where it all went wrong. All of the sudden we heard water dripping and got up to examine what was going on. There was a massive amount of water coming through the ceiling light in our bathroom and it was leaking onto the floor and our carpet. Mind you my bag was sitting in front of the closet near the bathroom and got wet as well. We immediately put our towels on the bathroom floor and the carpet in hopes of not getting anything else wet. I ventured into the bathroom and retrieved all of our toiletries.
We called down to the front desk and they stated they were aware of the problem and were coming up. The manager, Lauren, came running up without her shoes on is disarray and said maintenance was working on the problem. I tried to get her to come into the room to examine the actual issue but she was too flustered and did not come in and quickly left. She told us we could go to the bar and drinks were on her while they solved the problem. My friend and I were trying to be very nice about the situation because we know this is not an everyday occurrence. We decided to walk down to the bar to kill time while they resolved the issue. When we walked past the front desk there were about 5 employees that assured us as soon as they figured out the next step they would let us know. We sat down and ordered dessert and drinks to try to make something of our current situation. After quite some time had passed we decided to go back to the front desk because no one came to retrieve us. The waiter gave us our bill and charged us for the drinks which should have been comped as we were told. We also told the waiter about our situation and Lauren sent us down for drinks. Mind you we didn’t even want to go to the bar. All we wanted to do was be IN our room watching a movie. When we walked up they told us everything was taken care of and that they were sorry for the inconvenience….well thank you for the heads up and getting us like you promised. As we walked down the hall near our room the carpet was still soaking. We went into our room and that carpet near the bathroom was drenched too. It was also apparent that the bathroom was just dried off and not cleaned from the questionable water in our bathroom. My friend and I were somewhat baffled at the situation. We sat there for about 15 minutes debating on what to do. We even called my sister who is a travel writer to make sure we were being reasonable. We decided that since we paid $400 for one night in a room that it would be reasonable to request a new room that did not have a sopping wet carpet. When we called down to the front they immediately told us they were at capacity. At this point my friend and I were pretty upset. We just spent a few hours outside our room and all of our plans were ruined. We both went to bed upset hoping that maybe we could speak to a different manager in the morning to resolve the issue. We BARELY got any apology.
The next morning we woke up and went to breakfast and then came back to get our bags ready before our scheduled massages. At this point we were so upset we thought about cancelling the massages because the hotel was very unaccommodating and we did not want to enlist any other services. We decided that we would give them a shot so we kept the appointments. Upon checking out prior to the massages we asked to speak to the manager. I had filmed the massive amount of water that was dripping from our ceiling. I showed her the video and explained the situation. I flat out told her my stay here was NOTHING what I planned it to be all because of the water mishap. She just looked at us and gave us a minimal apology. I thought that maybe giving management a second chance to redeem themselves would have a positive outcome but yet again we were disappointed. I work in customer service and understand that there are certain people you will never please but there are also people that just want losses to be recouped and they would gladly be a returning customer. My friend and I were the latter. We would have gladly returned for a do over. Yep…not an option. We barely got compensated for the disastrous night. All we got was a measly $100 off our $400 room which we barely spent any time in.
I discussed the events of the night to a friend whose father does this exact type of management. She was appalled at the lack of customer service that was provided. This is why I decided to post on yelp. If you are willing to pay for a room with a beautiful view then by all means stay at The Cliffs. If you are expecting the customer service aspect to accompany the room think again. I will leave the readers to come to their own conclusion. I do not feel the need to “bash” The Cliffs resort as I feel that my experience speaks for itself. Ultimately, I am extremely disheartened and disappointed at my experience and wish I could take it back. My best friend did not have the great time she expected for her 30th birthday.
On a side note, my friend did respond to the questionnaire on how your stay was. She wrote about her disappointing stay....no response yet. Ironically, it was sent out by Lauren.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
12  Thank Alexis E
cliffs_resort, Manager at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Alexis, Thank you for taking the time to recount your experience. I understand how much you were looking forward to your stay and your friend's birthday celebration, and I would like to extend a sincere and humble apology that your stay did not live up to your expectations. As Lauren is in charge of both our guests' experiences as well as the rooms themselves, I'm sure she was trying to make you comfortable and safe, as well as resolving the leak issue at the same time. We want to make this right though, and if you would like to contact us, hopefully we can come to a satisfying resolution. Please ask for Haydee (pronounced Heidi). We look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Our business meets here for a workshop every year in the spring and did so again this year (2103). We stay at the hotel, meet in a meeting room at the hotel, and eat breakfast at the restaurant. The experience has been and continues to be excellent. The staff is very friendly, very helpful and very accomodating. Some of our attendees can be pretty demanding, but the staff made us feel like we were the most important customer . . . and they had other conferences going on. The hotel and rooms are very, very clean (and I am very picky). I always ask for a room that is quiet, so it always is. Beds are comfortable, the breakfast is good, and the views are beautiful. We receive a discount due to the guaranteed rooms, etc., and receive great value for our money.

Room Tip: They also provide rooms for those with pets. If I don't bring my pet with me, I like to stay on...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
cliffs_resort, Manager at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Fargo2013, Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Even though you're here on business, I'm glad you are able to enjoy our amenities and our views! Most importantly, I'm glad you've found our staff to be friendly and accommodating, as taking care of our guests truly is our number one goal. We look forward to seeing your group next spring, and hopefully you will visit on your own before that!

Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in a ocean-viewing suite. It was awesome!! Got 1st floor this time (been on 2nd & 3rd floors before), and it was great. Big spacious room and really enjoyed sitting outside on the patio to read.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Skingh
StephanieBowman, Manager at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Skingh ~ thank you for your loyalty to The Cliffs. We look forward to your next stay!

Reviewed May 6, 2013

I bought a Groupon for this hotel for just over $100 per night, and for that price it was adequate. The website quoted $400 for the same room on the same night, and that is grossly overpriced for the accommodations. I was disappointed to arrive and find the pool closed for the duration of our stay with no notice. The only upside (and reason for a 3 rather than a 2) was the courteous service from the desk and restaurant staff. All in all, it was nothing special. I've stayed at nicer chain hotels for a fraction of the price.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
cliffs_resort, Manager at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Patrice224, I'm glad you found our staff to be helpful, however I'm sorry you were disappointed with your stay. I understand your frustration with the pool closure, unfortunately booking through Groupon, we are not given any contact information to let you know of this in advance. I hope you enjoy any future trips to the area, whether you stay with us again or choose to go elsewhere.