“The best place to stay in Shell Beach”
Review of The Cliffs Resort

The Cliffs Resort
Ranked #12 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Capitola, California
“The best place to stay in Shell Beach”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

My Husband and I have been twice to The Cliffs and we plan to go back every year. It is on the cliffs with a magnificent view. The location is perfect for us to take small trips to adjacent towns.
We were able to get the room we requested. Great staff and service.

Room Tip: Suites are worth the price, sunny and comfortable.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
cliffs_resort, Manager at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
So glad you enjoyed your return visit, we look forward to seeing you and your husband again next year!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We just got to the hotel - our reservation was wrong - my husband and I reserved a king bed, and they gave us two full beds. The "manager" Jole was snarky and rude and told us it was our fault even though we would never reserve two beds. He also said there was nothing he could do - even though there was a king suite available he wanted us to pay the full price for it. I would have walked right out of the hotel if we weren't here for a wedding which my husband is in.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank EYNord
cliffs_resort, Manager at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
I know that you were disappointed with the room you reserved this weekend. While we try our best to accommodate all our guests, we unfortunately have a limited number of Non View Rooms with King Beds in the hotel, so do not sell them online. My apologies if it wasn't more clear on our site that the room you reserved had two queen sized beds only. I wish we had more availability to change the room you were in, but with three weddings on property and a Sunset Magazine festival in town, even the suite which Joel offered a discounted price on for you was sold within minutes. I always recommend calling in to speak with one of our Reservations Specialists so you can get all the options we have available and ensure that we are meeting all the needs of your stay!
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I stayed at the Cliffs for my bachelorette party weekend, we went wine tasting and traveled to the Sycamore Springs Spa Day from the Cliff's. The stay at the Cliffs was FABULOUS! The manager treated us like royalty and put up with all our shenanigans! The buffet is OUT OF THIS WORLD! I would literally go back JUST for the brunch buffet, bottomless champagne...YES PLEASE! The room was clean, spacious and well decorated...I LOVED THE CLIFFS! The manager looks like Jeff Goldblum...pretty funny. You cannot get down to the beach very easily because it is literally located on a Cliff (thus the name) which is kind of a downfall, but if you go to the pool and spa you can sit and look out on the ocean! They always have fun things going on at the hotel too, they had a vodka tasting when we were there...which we didn’t attend but it looked like a blast! It seemed like a nice hotel for all types of people, from families, to friends, to a romantic getaway! You do have to take a taxi or drive to go to the “happening” places in Pismo, but it is worth the serenity that the hotel has to offer you.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
cliffs_resort, Manager at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! Sounds like you and your girlfriends had a great trip and got to enjoy the hotel and the area (we love Sycamore too!). I'm glad you were well taken care of, and well fed ~ Sunday Brunch is always a good time! Looking forward to your next stay with your new hubby!
Connecticut
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and I decided to stay here on our drive from Anaheim up to Sonoma. It was about 5 hours north of Anaheim, and it took us about 10 hours to get from the hotel up to Sonoma (taking the coast the whole way). We only stayed for one night, and I wish we were able to stay for more. The location is right on the cliffs of the coast, and just a stairway walk down to the beach. The views of the sunset were amazing (make sure you book a suite, or at least an ocean view). We booked a suite, and absolutely loved it. It had a bathroom, separate Jacuzzi tub, and gorgeous view from the king bed. We left the doors open all night and slept to the sound of the ocean through the California blinds. The balcony was a good size too. The pool was also nice, and slightly heated, the hot tub was fine as well. And, they were nice enough to send of bottle of wine to our room because we were celebrating our anniversary. We did eat at the restaurant and we had no complaints. The brisket dinner was amazing! We did order room service for breakfast and they got my order wrong, but offered to remake it (but i declined). We really did have a great stay, and would recommend The Cliffs!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
cliffs_resort, Manager at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Congratulations on your anniversay ~ thank you for choosing to spend it with us! So glad you were able to enjoy the ocean views from your room, as well as our little beach oasis at the bottom of the cliffs and the amazing views we are lucky enough to have. I'm sorry for the confusion on your breakfast order, but I'm glad you had a safe drive north and hope you had a fantastic rest of your trip!
Montreal
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We arrived from the Yosimite National Park to The Cliff for a brief two night stay that composed of
4 nights in Napa / Sonoma , to the YNP , onto Pismo Beach for 2 evenings and then on to Carmel for 4 nights.
We found the service, the ocean front rm, great, loved the fact I could keep the dr open while sleeping, and hear the sounds of the waves, and the restaurant for a happy hour snack was very good and quite upbeat. The staff were friendly, informative, and pleasant to deal with.
The hotel is well maintained, and offers beautiful water views of the ocean! The beach below is
O.k. For a brief walk, but if you want to visit a real beach with a pier, restaurants, & shops there is a sweet little village called Avila Beach only a 10 minute drive, fun to visit, has a nice vibe!

Room Tip: We choose a room with a view directly on the ocean, Loved it! ! So beautiful, great balcony, Views...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
cliffs_resort, Manager at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Sounds like you had a whirlwind trip, so glad you made it to The Cliffs! Avila Beach is a great place to spend the day, but I'm glad you were able to enjoy the ocean views and breezes from your room as well. Hope the rest of your trip was just as amazing!
Windsor, Ontario
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I paid a little more for a room facing the ocean and I am glad I did. Nothing beats enjoying a morning coffee on the balcony and seeing three dolphins enjoying themselves in the Bay. Plus a beautiful sunset in the evening.

Rooms are spacious, beautifully decorated and everything you need. I enjoyed a good steak in the restaurant and drinks and dancing in the bar afterwards. I was there on a Friday night and it was busy.

I wish I had time to enjoy the the pool area as it looks great. If you want to impress someone then this is the place. A large tent was set up in the grounds for a wedding the next day and it would be a great place for that.

Enjoy!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
I'm so glad you enjoyed yourself and that you were here for our dolphin show! I agree that is the perfect way to start your day ~ a cup of coffee with an ocean view. Thank you for taking the time to write your review, hopefully next time you can stay a little longer!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

My fiancé and I had a wonderful getaway weekend here over Labor day. The rooms are comfy and spacious with fireplaces that warm up the room quickly. Beds were very nice and plush and we got a good nights sleep. The hotel bar, Marisol, is also amazing. It opens up to expansive ocean views and there was a DJ spinning top 40 hits and the drinks were yummy. The outdoor patio surrounding the pool would have been nice but it was soooo cold and not enough heaters for the size of the heating area. The pool area also has a fire pit but we couldn't enjoy it because of the number of people trying to warm up around it. Definitely will return as the proximity to amazing wine tasting (Paso Robles, Edna Valley and Santa Ynez) is all within an hour's drive. Not to mention Pismo Beach and all its amazing restaurants and family fun. Definitely consider this resort!

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
cliffs_resort, Manager at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Chrisie ~ We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and it sounds like you got to explore our great wine country! We look forward to your next visit, let us know if you would like winery recommendations, and ask about coupons for complimentary tastings (wineries often drop some off for us). Good point, the evenings do get chilly by the ocean, so it's always good to bring a jacket so you can still enjoy the surroundings when the sun goes down. Hope to see you again soon!