“I Will Forever Stay Here”
Review of The Cliffs Resort

The Cliffs Resort
Ranked #12 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We were given reservations as a gift by my mother after being treated horribly by another hotel in the area. They were extremely accomodating on such short notice and we stayed in the absolutely gorgeous Sunset Suite. The room was very large and had a living area and luxurious two person tub and shower. It boasted a fluffy king sized bed and a deck that wrapped from the living area to the bedroom. It was just beautiful. I did not want to leave the room, not even for meals! It was extremely clean, and came with bath salts, loofahs, and the bathtub even had jets. Perfect room for honeymoons or couples, very romantic mood lighting and its just one big area. If I could afford this room for myself, I would everytime even if it meant eating at McDonalds every night I was there. Not a single detail was left untouched, the room even had an entry way. We slept with the sliding doors open and woke up to the sound of the ocean in the morning. Just gorgeous I am so blessed to have stayed in that hotel.

Room Tip: Sunset Suite is gorgeous and completely worth the money.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
cliffs_resort, Manager at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2012

So glad you found us, although sorry you were treated poorly elsewhere. It sounds like you were able to enjoy the room to its fullest ~ from jacuzzi to ocean breezes to the patio! We look forward to your next stay!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,033)

Reviewed July 24, 2012

This hotel was very pleasant, clean, and wonderful ocean views. They had recently updated the rooms and added color and comfort. I would recommend for a good hotel to stay at. They also pick up your breakfast tab. The breakfast has everything you could think of. I recommend for a good stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
cliffs_resort, Manager at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

Kay ~ thank you so much for your kind words, so glad you enjoyed your stay!

Reviewed July 22, 2012

we had stayed here before and got a pool view with the ocean beyond. The room was fresh and bright, we were also happy with the rate. This time, for twice the price, our partial ocean view was blocked by a black painted sliding glass door and the bathroom had a sloppy paint job with mirrors that were needing replacement. Because they were sold out I guess they just figure the market will bare the quality issues but we will definitely be looking for a new place in the future. As I was checking out I noticed the keyboard and counter was all full of crumbs, and dust, not very tidy management.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank hotfor44
cliffs_resort, Manager at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I'm glad you enjoyed your first stay with us, however I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the room as much during your second stay. Just a note, the ocean/pool view rooms receive more sunlight during the day and are brighter, because of their location in the hotel. The partial/coastal view rooms, while quieter, primarily get the evening setting sun.
Throughout the year, we perform preventitive maintenance on our rooms, but as you can imagine, summer is somewhat of a challenge to thoroughly get into each room, as the area is so busy ~ however that does not excuse a sloppy job. In the next few weeks, as summer is slowing down, we will be offering many of our packages and specials, and we would love to have you stay with us again. Thank you, Stephanie.

Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

Great location but the rooms have looked the same for years. It's time to update.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Tommy L
Reviewed July 12, 2012

My fiance and I stayed at the Cliffs for four days during the fourth of July holiday. Observations:

1. Place is in desperate need of repair and updating. Signs of the 1970's and early 80's are clearly evident.
2. Rooms look like they were partially renovated in the past five or six years. However, not all things in the rooms were changed so the job looks incomplete and inconsistent.
3. Tons of kids there. We have six kids and are very understanding of the plight of traveling with kids. Would be nice if the parents or staff of the hotel would try to reel them in on occasion.
4. Oldest staff member we saw there was about 22. No real management on site or interacting with the guests.
5. Place could easily be mistaken for a kennel since there were tons of dogs there. The barking in the middle of the night was really fun.
6. Money paid for the stay was certainly in excess of what value was received.

Will certainly never stay there again.

Room Tip: If you have the money, stay in either Avila Beach or at the Dolphin Hotel.
2  Thank Gary T
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Gary ~ Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I see you stayed with us over the busy Fourth of July week. As we bill ourself as a family (and dog friendly) hotel, we do tend to get a lot of kids and dogs, and especially over summer and holiday time periods. I'm sorry that this intruded on your getaway though, the intent is not to have it retract from guests' stays who are not travelling with their children. We do provide daily (and evening) activities for the children as an option, but again I know we had many famiilies staying with us over that time. I hope you were able to enjoy your time in the area however, and we would love to have you with us again, at a less impactful time. Thank you, Stephanie ~ Manager

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Great location of the central coast of California. Great views right on the ocean. A little pricey for the age of hotel, but the room was fantastic. Only problem was the next door room called the Light house sweet let the door slam countless times. Notified staff at check out and the gave me a small discount and promised to look into situation.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Jeff~I'm glad you and your wife were able to enjoy our amazing location and the ocean views we are lucky enough to enjoy! I apologize for the disturbance caused by the guests next door, hopefully, the Front Desk's consideration helped to make up for that.
Congratulations to you and your wife, thank you for choosing The Cliffs for your honeymoon! We hope to see you next year for your anniversary!

Reviewed June 25, 2012

The management team and staff are incompetent!

I booked and paid for the weekend of June 8-10th. I booked room 351 and paid for it on January 18th of this year. There was even a note that the room was booked and paid for in the computer. When I checked in, the personnel at the front desk said the room was taken and they didn 't have a policy on booking certain rooms for quests. This is erroneous and I caught them in a lie. They gave "my room" to a wedding party and up'd the price. I booked and paid in anticipation of my son's upcoming graduation from Cal Poly. We were going to have a family party and I choose this room. I was very upset by the staff. They have no training in customer service over and above working with the computer and taking credit cards.

More fodder for those who want to stay here:

The restaurant can't find reservations and won't call you back for 3 weeks. You just have to keep calling.

The breakfast hostess can't "find you a table" for 5 minutes and doesn't know if a English muffin is included in a continental breakfast.

The dinner reservation you made for an outside table at 6:00 has been taken by a larger party and you get put inside. If they can accommodate you at 6:00 on the patio - you must finished with dinner by 7:45. I blew a fuse at this point

Horrible place to stay if you think you are going top quality accommodations and professional, trained hotel staff.

The GENERAL MANAGER WON'T CALL YOU BACK!

This hotel may look like an upscale resort, but the personnel at the front desk are impersonal and robotic. The managers have the "deer in the headlight" look going on. The maids come into your room at 8:00 and start cleaning whether you're there or not. Nobody except the front desk and valet personnel spoke English. For $1300.00 I expected a better managed and customer friendly resort. For what I paid, I could have been at the Dophin Bay next store for 3 nights.

I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. Too much incompetence and too many lies.

PS If you go, ask them to remove the orange shag rugs from the room. Dusty and dirty.

Room Tip: Stay at the Creek Side Inn B&B in SLO or the Dolphin Bay. More value for your money and less h...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mary P
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

Mary, thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. I’m sorry we weren’t able to provide the experience you hoped for. It sounds like you had looked at a specific room in January, and had requested that room for your June stay. As the Front Desk mentioned, we don’t reserve room numbers, but we do reserve/guarantee a room type and I'm sorry that wasn't made clear when you reserved your room. Your reservation was for a Signature Suite, I believe you looked at 251, and stayed in 455. The suites on the higher floors have an increased ocean view, but the suites on the lower floors are larger rooms. Please feel free to contact me for a future stay in our area, and I can help you find a hotel to fit your needs whether it be one of ours or another property in the area. Congratulations to you and your son on his graduation from Cal Poly.
Stephanie ~ The Cliffs Resort