“Wonderful View, but Room Choice Matters Greatly”
Review of Shore Cliff Hotel

Shore Cliff Hotel
Ranked #4 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We were on a family trip up the central California coast and chose to spend a night at Pismo Beach to unwind. We love an unobstructed view of the ocean and the sound of the ocean waves breaking on the rocks; finding a quiet, private spot to enjoy the ocean horizon and sound of the sea was our goal. I found what looked like a good deal on the Internet (Expedia, prepaid rate) and booked a room that was advertised as having an ocean view. The sample room photo showed an unobstructed view of the ocean off the balcony, so I figured we were all set for peaceful bliss.

We arrived at the hotel in mid-afternoon, and promptly checked in. The front desk agent (manager?) welcomed us warmly, and gave me a key to a second-floor room in the tower. The hotel is configured as an ocean-front block (where the lobby is located) and a separate tower with three wings. Our assigned room was located near the center of the tower, with a view that was partially blocked by an adjoining wing of the tower and directly overlooking the busy pool. The ocean was visible from the balcony, but off in the distance past the pool. It was definitely not what we thought we had booked, and did not afford us the relaxing, quiet ocean experience we were expecting.

I promptly went back to the front desk and expressed my concerns. The agent (manager?) insisted that we had booked an "ocean view" room on Expedia, and that the Expedia room was not an "ocean front" room. I was aware that she had me over a barrel because the rate was prepaid, and the payment had already been made before we arrived. To her credit (and the hotel's), she offered me a different room with a slightly different bed configuration (2 queens vs. 1 king) in the "ocean front" block as a replacement, for the same price. After checking it out, we found that the new room was more like what we thought we had originally booked, and accepted it.

Once in the room, our experience was excellent. The room was recently renovated, clean, comfortable, well-decorated and generally quiet. We enjoyed the view and the sound of the waves, and even had a visit from a curious seagull. The beds were comfortable and offered a good night's sleep. We ordered dinner from a local Italian restaurant using the in-room delivery service, which we enjoyed on the balcony. All in all, it was a fabulous evening.

Some notes: The in-room wireless Internet was free and worked, but wasn't very fast-- about equal to a slower DSL line. It was able to accommodate all of my devices, including two phones and a tablet. There are vending machines with sodas in multiple locations, although they carry different products. For example, the vending machine at the pool end of the "ocean front" block has only Pepsi products, but the vending machine in the tower carries Coca-Cola products. If you book your room through a service like Expedia, pay careful attention to the type of room, as "ocean view" and "ocean front" apparently mean different things, and the difference is significant.

Room Tip: Make sure to book an "Ocean Front" room if you want a view of nothing but the ocean.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Great Hotel with all rooms having ocean view, have stayed there many times and never had a problem, nice place. Close to great restaurants and activities, Good place to eat on site also. Rooms are always clean and neat.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed March 24, 2013

This hotel is positioned with all the rooms having a view out to sea and what a stunning view it is - we had a room on the top floor and so enjoyed being able to sit outside on our own balcony making use of the 2 chairs and small table provided. Even when in the room you can still get a good view through the floor to ceiling window. Our room was large with a high level of cleanliness and with attractive furnishings in excellent condition. The bathroom was spotless. There were no fingerprints all over the window - I wish this could be so in some other hotels. The light and airy lobby was equally attractive and well presented. We found the staff at the front desk both efficient and friendly and more than willing to offer helpful suggestions for dining, etc.

The door to our room opened onto an outside covered walkway and this could be accessed from the ground level either by elevator or stairs. We had no problem with noise from people passing outside the room or from people in the adjoining room. All you could hear was the noise of crashing waves ! There are 2 computers/printers for guest use in the lobby with good internet access and there is also complimentary wifi in the bedrooms. On the whole the wifi worked well in our room but it did on several occasions drop - perhaps we were at the edge of the hotels wifi range.

A complimentary breakfast is available in a spacious area that has plenty of tables and chairs. The choice covers cereals, breads, pastries, hard boiled eggs, fruit, yogurts plus pre packaged chicken biscuits that can be heated up in the available microwave. Coffee, tea and juices are also available. The food is well set out and presented and was replenished regularly - I just wish the staff here could have looked as if they vaguely enjoyed their job - not a smile or a word to anyone.

We would stay here again with absolutely no hesitation - it is a gem of a hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
FunInSunPismoBeach, General Manager at Shore Cliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

We sincerely appreciate your review of your stay at the Shore Cliff Lodge. We are proud that our cleanliness and décor have consistently exceeded out guests’ expectations. It is our goal to provide what our guests deserve. You have painted such a magnificent picture in your review. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay.

I apologize that the breakfast staff were not as friendly as they should be. Nothing is better to start a day with a good cup of coffee and a smile. It appears we fell short there and I can assure you we will address this and remind our staff that every gesture and expression matters.
Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Our usual hotel in Pismo Beach was booked for the weekend, so we decided to try the Best Western Shore Cliff Lodge. The room was huge with a balcony and beautiful view of the ocean. The complaint is if you went outside on your balcony, you could see and hear everything your neighbors were doing on their balcony. The balconies weren't staggered nor were there any dividers to provide privacy. In addition, other guests were smoking on their balconies and we had to retreat into our room.
The best part of our stay was seeing the rabbit who has taken up residence near the hotel. When the balcony are was quiet, it was fun to watch the rabbit hopping around outside. With all the other hotels in Pismo, we probably won't stay at this one again since the balcony and view is why you stay in Pismo.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank princesspanda56

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We strive to exceed our guest’s expectations and it appears that we left you disappointed. The hotel is a non smoking hotel and I can assure you that we appreciate when we are made aware of a guest that is smoking in their room or on the balcony and do take immediate action so everyone can enjoy their stay.
I am glad that you enjoyed the wildlife around the property. I hope that you will give us another try someday and find the quiet and relaxing stay you were seeking. I believe that the overall experience, especially the room itself will lead you to provide us that second chance.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

First off let me say, the grounds for this hotel are absolutely beautiful, the area in the back of the hotel is to die for and the gazebo... What a gorgeous view (and a wonderful place for a wedding ceremony). The room itself is nice, updated linens, LG flat screen, decent decor, fridge, microwave, coffee maker with pretty good Seattle's Best coffee and Tazo tea from Starbucks as well as Bath and Body works toiletries. The room is also very clean, roomy, and has a nice comfy capret. It is large and has a balcony, all the rooms have an ocean view. We stayed in room 222 which is considered a "partial ocean/partial pool view" but from our balcony it was ocean water as far as the eye could see. I was so impressed with this hotel, the entire property is clean and nice and updated. The property is full of beautiful flowers and green grass. I was so happy that we chose to stay here instead of the Edgewater (which is where we stayed last time).
The staff was so friendly and willing to help it was such a breath of fresh air compared to services usually rendered by hotel staff in a high tourist area. Every time someone answered the phone at the front desk they were cheery and eager to help, the man who checked us in was pleasant and seemed to like his job (How could you not with that beautiful ocean view in your lobby?). Later in the night my camera ran out of batteries while we were on the gazebo and when I asked Andrew at the front desk if they sold batteries he said no but came up to our room about 10 minutes later with some batteries he had found, they did not work but he was willing to bring more until we found some that worked. Now that's dedication and WONDERFUL customer service. I was blown away by his helpfulness and it solidified that we want to make this hotel our regular place to stay whenever we come to Pismo.
Although this hotel does not have direct beach access, it is only a short walk down to a hotel that does, and once you get down the crazy stairs to the beach, there are some of the coolest looking cliffs and rock formations. We paid $189 plus taxes for the room on a Saturday, and I think it was well worth the cash.
I have only two complaints about this hotel and it really isn't the hotel's fault. 1) The people in the room above us were letting their children run around like wild animals and it was HIGHLY annoying, I was woke up at 7 a.m. because their kids were stomping across the floor and slamming the screen leading out to their balcony. People please, if you're going to be with your kids on a high floor, make sure they aren't making so much noise, it's very rude and inconsiderate of the people on the lower levels. 2) The restaraunt next to the hotel had an hour and a half wait. We ended up walking down to Brad's on the main drag.
While there isn't much right next to the hotel, a short walk will get you to the main tourist area, it took us about 10 minutes to get down to the street where the pier is located.
All in all, my husband and I had an amazing experience at this hotel, we thoroughly enjoyed the gazebo and actually ended up spending a lot of our time there. We took a bottle of champagne down there and just hung out and enjoyed each other's company, even the other hotel patrons were friendly and looked like they were enjoying themselves. It was a much needed, kid-free, romantic getaway for us and we thank the Shore Cliff Lodge to helping make our weekend that much more enjoyable. We will definitely be returning to your hotel in a few months and we will be recommending this beautiful property to everyone we know!

Room Tip: If you want a nice ocean/pool view, make sure to get a room on the second or third floor.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

What a great review! Thank you so much for capturing all the wonderful details at the property. It is obvious that you take the time to enjoy every detail of the places you visit. I am certain that every flower catches your senses as does every wave breaking on the bluffs. Your stay sounds like it was a perfect getaway and we are thrilled to have provided you the accommodations you were seeking.
Andrew and all our staff enjoy assisting the guests and I am glad that he went on a mission to find you some batteries.
The walk is well worth the beauty of the rocks and beach that are at the bottom of the stairs. I am glad that you found the joy in the adventure of the walk and the serenity of sipping champagne while sitting under the gazebo.
We look forward to your next visit and let us.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stopped in for a sunday nite stay. The positives: The staff was pleasant. The grounds are beautiful and the view spectacular. I was given room 107, a ground floor unit with a partial ocean view. The room was spacious and well appointed. Amelia, the housekeeper, did a fine job cleaning and preparing the room for my arrival. All told a decent room at this price level.

The negatives: The bug screen was partially off it's runner and difficult to slide. I tried to rerail it but it was stubborn. Not wanting to damage it I discontinued. As other reviewers have mentioned, you can hear every footstep from the guests in the room above. At sunset I wanted to sit out on the balcony and enjoy the ocean view, but a bright wall-mounted pathway light shone toward my room and spoiled the view. The light was so intense that I was forced to draw the drapes instead of leaving them open to let the cool ocean breeze in.

One more thing specfic to room 107. It shares walls with the breakfast room and vending area, so trying to sleep past 7am is impossible. Relentless banging and knocking sounds denied me any chance of sleeping in.

Most hotels have one room that's noisier than any other. Unfortunately, I got the short straw in room assignments, otherwise I would have had a much better experience. If all these problems had surfaced early on I would have asked to change rooms. In summary, come stay and enjoy Shore Cliff Lodge, but avoid room 107!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank RayinPMC

I sincerely apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations. It is our goal to provide all guests with quality accommodations and exemplary service. I am glad that you found the room itself clean and spacious, but I’m sorry that it was noisy and that the screen door was inoperable. We will make sure that it has been repaired since your stay. I will also review the lighting outside that room. This is the first that we have heard of that so we will certainly correct the situation. Thank you for that feedback.
Again, I appreciate the time you took to provide the feedback and hope that you will provide us the opportunity to provide you with the stay you deserve. Please contact me directly at the hotel and I will be happy to personally make your reservation at a discounted rate and a room you will find very relaxing.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

A lovely spacious room with a wonderful view across the ocean. We sat out on the room balcony in the sunshine in February and looked for but didn't see any whales going past. I was very pleased I chose this hotel, it was very clean and comfy. Having La Ventana restaurant next door was perfect and they make lovely cocktails. We were tired from a long day travelling and didn't want to go out again looking for somewhere to eat. The breakfast choice was good too.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple