“So many better Thai places around the corner. Tourist trap.”

Thai Talay Restaurant
Ranked #38 of 105 Restaurants in Pismo Beach
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Los Angeles, California
“So many better Thai places around the corner. Tourist trap.”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

I am by no means a food elitist and I always try to give restaurants my best opinion possible.

Perhaps the largest tragedy of eating here is that there are excellent Thai restaurants right around the corner in Grover Beach. They are much more highly respected and reviewed....Thai Diva, for one.

I have had Thai food at many places, some excellent, and some just not so great but still makes a good meal. This, however, is one of those places that you make it a mission to tell people not to go because it's so outrageously bad.

What I did like about it was the ambiance and the neat little decor. It's quaint and charming. The music is low and the tables are spaced nicely to allow clear conversation and privacy. The service was a bit slow, but the servers were warm and welcoming. It was a great first impression.Then came the food.

We ordered their basil chicken wings which sounded amazing, and we were assured by our server that they were. What was served up was deep fried wings doused in sweet and sour dipping sauce. The chicken was cooked perfectly, I'll give it that, but the "basil" portion of the dish was served as inedible whole basil leaves spread on the dish - the flavor was not infused in the sauce. It wasn't horrible and it tasted pretty good, but I was a bit apprehensive that this appetizer cost $9 when I could've easily made it from a bag of frozen wings and poured sweet and sour sauce on them. Like I said, it wasn't awful so I was still a pretty good mood when our main course came around.I had a rice noodle dish in broth, which claimed to have green onions, cilantro, and peanuts in a flavorful broth with my choice of meat (which was squid). What I got was hot water with ramen noodles (I am Filipino, so I know the difference), sprinkled with green onions and then squid. Utterly. Tasteless. I mixed it around to make sure I wasn't crazy and had my husband taste it. There were no peanuts or cilantro....or any flavor for that matter. My husband's pad-see-ew had mushy noodles and was just as bland. We asked for soy sauce and covered our dishes with it to no avail.The only reason I didn't complain was that my husband started to feel unwell and really needed to get home. We forked out the $42 bill and left with no intention of returning. I've never seen a place screw up Thai food as badly as this. Again, I am NOT a picky eater/diner and usually have positive things to say about most places, but I felt like I was robbed here. Please don't waste your money!!

Oh, and Tricia H, you are giving yourself a public relations black eye with all of your snotty comments to negative reviewers. Do yourself a favor and stop.

• Visited June 2014

Bristol, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent food, reasonably priced and friendly service”
Reviewed May 3, 2014

This was the best Thai meal my wife and I have had and we have had many in several different countries. The portions were large and the quality of the food was first class with lovely flavours and a subtle use of spices. The service was friendly and the waiter was very helpful in explaining dishes. We would recommend the restaurant most highly.

• Visited May 2014
Mammoth Lakes, California
“The BEST Thai Food!”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

I lived in England for several years and tried a lot of good Thai and Indian places, but finding this little gem in Pismo capped them all. They make THE BEST thai food I've ever had! Great service and great food, can't beat it! Try the pumpkin curry: it's not always on the menu, but ask for it anyway. It's amazing!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Herbngill
Tujunga
“Looks good from the outside”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Lousy reheated food. Large portions of dried out reheated chicken in both of our entrees.
I guess if you haven't experienced good Thai food you might think it's good.

• Visited February 2014
Nellysford, Virginia
“One of the best Thai restaurants I have experienced”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

We have a great Thai restaurant at home and this was just as good. Good serving portions and great taste. Our group had the green curry and garlic chicken as well as soup and appetizers. Everything was delicious.

• Visited February 2014