“Just beautiful”

Ranked #3 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Glastonbury,CT
“Just beautiful”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying at the Dolphin Bay in a wonderful one bedroom ocean front suite and cannot say enough about this lovely, well maintained property and stunning location. We were visiting California and had arrived from Santa Barbara. My choice was for an ocean front property that would allow up to travel to nearby areas like Morro Bay, Cambria, San Simeon and up to the beginning of the Big Sur area and Dolphin Bay fit the bill perfectly.
The condo itself is lovely with a great kitchen and bathroom. We had a unit with a gas fireplace and enjoyed this as the weather got a bit cool while we were there. We visited midweek and the property was very quiet which we enjoyed. Being New Englanders, high 60s didn't deter us from enjoying the pool and hot tub and sitting our on large ocean front balcony enjoying the perfect views. The pool was warm enough for a dip and the hot tub was a perfect temp. We also walked the pathway and took the steps down to the beach below to get a closer look at the surfers.

We returned from our walk, planning to enjoy a little wine on the balcony before heading to dinner, and were delighted to find a beautiful fresh fruit tray on the counter with a welcome note. Later that night we picked up packets of microwave popcorn to enjoy with a movie before we retired to a very comfortable bed.

My one tiny little complaint is a silly one and not one that would ever deter me from rebooking this fabulous property: the blinds in the bedroom cannot be opened to enjoy the ocean view. There are blinds/ shades on each of the large windows in the condo that allow you the choice of looking through and seeing the filtered views or closing the slats, to give you full privacy. They are great but wish the ones in the bedroom could be pulled open like those near the patio doors to allow a full view rather than a filtered one.

This condo is a great property. I would definitely consider returning with my kids and their husbands/ sig other. It's in a great location for visiting other sites along the California coast and located right off highway 101.

Room Tip: Def choose the ocean front option with balcony.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kktraveler
Erica C, Manager at Dolphin Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Greetings kktraveler,

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to post such a nice review about your recent visit to Dolphin Bay. We strive to exceed all of our guests’ expectations and it is so rewarding to hear we did so with your stay. I am not certain why the blinds were not working in your suite but we would love to have the opportunity to repair them. If you don’t mind, please contact me directly at EricaC@thedolphinbay.com so we can determine which suite you occupied. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Dolphin Bay in the future.

Director of Hotel Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed November 3, 2013

First of all, I'm not a casual traveler. I travel extensively for work and often for pleasure. Due to this I have different expectations. I rate on price point more than just wow factor. Often you can tell the true quality of a property by how they treat other than the premium suite visitors and how they handle the little conflicts.

Due to life happening, I really needed to give my wife a weekend of pampering and showing her she mattered. I booked at Dolphin Bay due to very high ratings on Trip Advisor. The booking process was very smooth and was followed up by several emails and a call before arrival. I was very satisfied with that.

Arrival was very smooth and the desk staff were quite friendly and enjoyable to interact with. Not stuffy at all.

I booked the non-ocean suite. The room was very large and tastefully appointed. The first negative was that although the suite was 900+ square feet (advertised, I didn't measure) there was no tub. Nothing. At this price point that is almost unacceptable. People coming to a property labeled as a Spa/Resort at this price point are all but going to expect/demand a premium bathroom with an oversized tub suitable for sharing ;-)

Otherwise, the suite was excellent, and clean. The swag presented such as coffee for the coffee maker, soaps, etc was on the low side for this price point.

The property was beautiful and well maintained. The pool and hot tub are large and modern. The pool is a saline pool kept at 80 degrees. The hot tub was very nice, although a bit cooler than I like, but that is totally an individual thing and has no bearing on this review.

This is, in general, a more quiet and serene property and I suspect the clientele is probably older. We arrived on a Friday night and there was not really much happening at the resort, and due to the location, not much going on in the immediate area. Again, an individual preference and doesn't weigh in on my rating.

The first problem encountered was in trying to use the Spa facilities. I called when the Spa opened at 9am and was told that I could not get a simple mani/pedi for my wife as the facility was booked all day by a party not staying at the property. Even trying to get her a massage seemed to be difficult. When I talked to the property manager about this I was met with friendly smiles but no resolution.

Again, at this price point, I feel that I am paying for access to the Spa and Resort facilities. Most savvy resorts will not block out their Spa facility for non-guests and will hold spots for paying guests. I simply can't, and never have experienced this happening at a upscale property such as one in Vegas. In the end, it was simply "tough luck Chuck", no compensation was offered other than a "so sorry". In Vegas I would have at least been comped a meal at their best restaurant.

The final thing that caused me to rate this quite differently than others have was the housekeeping. Eventually I had to call to have the suite serviced. At this price point, details are what separates the top properties from the 3 stars. After returning to the suite I noted that the room had been serviced with little care. Again, harping on my price point thing, at this price point the room should look just like you walked into it the very first day. The bed was made, but the robes and other accouterments were not attended to. One robe was laying over the chair, and the other was over the back of the chair in the dining room. The toiletries were not properly restocked nor was the laundry soap. There were some paper scraps on the floor which shows they did not vacuum.

In the end, the lack of attention to details, the lack of any compensation or resolution to my inability to have access to the Spa facilities makes me feel like this property is resting on their laurels. Time to step it back up.

Room Tip: Be aware that not all rooms have tubs if that is important to you.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
18 Thank Michael H
Erica C, Manager at Dolphin Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear Michael H.,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your recent experience at Dolphin Bay. I am happy to hear the staff you encountered was friendly and that the property was well maintained and clean. I, personally, have discussed the challenges you encountered with our department managers to ensure circumstances such as these do not occur in the future.

If you are interested in returning to our resort, please contact me directly and I would be happy to assist with your reservation so we can accommodate any specific requests you have.

Warm Regards,

Oakland, California
Reviewed October 26, 2013

My boyfriend and I were looking for a quick weekend get-away, and settled on heading down to Dolphin Bay. First of all, our one bedroom suite was twice the size of our apartment (very luxurious) and the kitchen was beautiful. It felt as if we were 'home' in our very own ocean front villa. The service was sincere, and welcoming. It is obvious that the staff and management truly love where they are working, and take pride in providing quality service.

For Bay Area folks, the central coast has so much to offer, even for vacationers in town for only one or two nights. (Although I would recommend staying longer :) We drove down hwy 1 through Big Sur, tasted at a few wineries in Edna Valley, enjoyed a dinner overlooking the ocean, and a sunday morning swim. What more do you need? We will certainly be making this a regular vacation destination.

Thank you, Dolphin Bay!

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly to book! Reservationists are very knowledgable and will help you pick the ri...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BertStwo
Erica C, Manager at Dolphin Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Greetings BertStwo,

Thank you for taking the time to share you comments regarding your recent visit to Dolphin Bay. We strive to exceed all of our guests’ expectations to create a warm and inviting atmosphere and I am pleased to hear we did so with your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to Dolphin Bay in the future.

The Dolphin Bay Team
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is one incredible location while in this area. We would most definitely stay here again and highly recommended to everyone. From the moment we arrived until we left, the entire staff was so kind and very friendly. The onsite restaurant is also a must for delicious food, service and views especially during sunset. Be sure to make this your stop while in Pismo Beach!!! Beautiful grounds surround the resort and it looked very family friendly but also great for that special romantic getaway too!! Five stars for sure.

Room Tip: Would recommend the oceanfront rooms for the best views of course. The two bedroom suites were perfe...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Erica C, Manager at Dolphin Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Greetings TNMEN,

Thank you for sharing the wonderful comments regarding your stay. We strive to exceed our guests expectations and it seems we were able to do so during your stay. We appreciate your recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back to Dolphin Bay in the future.

San Jose
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I have been to Pismo Beach dozens of times but I have never stayed here before. Now it will be difficult to stay anywhere else! We had a 2 room suite which we shared with my sister and her family and there was plenty of room for us all. The room was had everything we need: great pillows, comfortable beds, a full kitchen, and the jacuzzi tub which everyone loved. We were steps away from the pool and ocean. Beach access is a 5 minute walk away. The staff was extremely friendly and provided great customer service. It is honestly worth every penny!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Greetings Suziedeo,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay. We are extremely pleased to read that you enjoyed everything about your stay. We are very proud of our guest service and it's nice to know everyone you encountered exceeded your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 13, 2013

My wife, daughter and I stayed here on a college tour of Cali schools. It is a full condo complex and it was nice to spread out having stayed in traditional hotel rooms the prior four nights. This is a gorgeous property and we booked an ocean front room. It was great to hear the relaxing sound of breaking waves.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are very nice.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Erica C, Manager at Dolphin Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Greetings Bzurbo,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor. We are pleased to hear how much you and your family enjoyed the Oceanfront suite and overall stay. We are happy to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to Dolphin Bay in the future.

San Diego, California
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Think Inspired luxury here. You wont necessarily be helped up to your room with your luggage. Nor will you be shown your room. You even have the option to self park. At check in the wont "expect you coming" and have your name and details on hand when you get there, but once you are all settled, its pure relaxing bliss.
The best part of Dolphin Bay is that you don't feel like you are in a hotel AT ALL. You feel like you borrowed your friends condo to stay at for a while. Everything is completely furnished. We had a two bedroom suite, complete with full kitchen, decorations, amenities galore. The bathroom was really great.
We spent some time in the pool. if you want to get away from it all and be left to just unwind and relax, this is the place to be

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Erica C, Manager at Dolphin Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Greetings SonicSpringBok,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your overall stay including the décor, amenities, spacious accommodations, and infinity pool. I apologize that we did not offer you our exceptional guest services upon arrival and I would love to receive more information so this can be addressed directly. If you don’t mind, please contact me at ericac@thedolphinbay.com or 805.556.3879.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Dolphin Bay in the future.

Warm Regards,