“Awesome room, view, sunset, staff and service!”

Dolphin Bay Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Reviewed October 5, 2013

We had a two bedroom ocean front suite - layout A. It was the best room we have ever stayed in. The view of the water and the lull of the waves at night were incredible. Our master suite faced the ocean with access to the large patio. Sitting on the patio at night watching the sun going down was so calming and relaxing. The Lido restaurant was exceptional. Every meal we had there was delish! All the staff at this resort couldn't do enough for you. The service is beyond the norm. We will be back!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Erica C, Manager at Dolphin Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2013

Greetings Cheri2012,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments regarding your recent stay at Dolphin Bay. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed everything about your visit from the room, the views, the restaurant, and the top notch service we provided. We strive to exceed all of our guests’ expectations and I am pleased to hear we did so with you. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Dolphin Bay in the future.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

We decided to try Dolphin Bay as we were dropping the resident 18 year old off at CalPoly and wanted to find a place where we can stay comfortably over the next 4 years in the local area; if you've read any of my reviews before you will know that we like to find places that we find pleasing and we tend to go back time & again.
The location is pretty ideal, both for SLO/CalPoly and of course the beach, I was also very impressed with the Ventana Grill restaurant which is just 2 miles down the road. We arrived early and tried to check in, we knew it was highly unlikely the room would be ready but the front desk staff were very friendly & helpful and said they would call when it was, so we went about our day. They did indeed call later that day, and we returned to check in. During this time, there had been a staff change. We were issued the first set of keys and given some directions to the room. The key did not work. My husband ran back and got the key "reset" and off we go again; this time the key worked but once we got into the room, we realized that it was not what we had booked. I had specifically booked a pool view room, and what we were given was a carpark view room, on both sides. It had been a bit of a long day by this stage, and I was not overly pleased tramping back to the reception, with the bags, to go find out why we suddenly had the wrong room. The girl working the front desk was multitasking, trying to answer the phone and deal with guests at the same time. Clearly, this was not working out too well for her. I advised her of the issue, she consulted the computer, and then told me that they did have another room available with a pool view and they would give us that. Note; no apology, no explanation -- actually I was made to feel as if I was being a bit cheeky by mentioning the issue and frankly, this did not please me. I really don't need a bunch of 'tude when all I'm trying to do is get what I booked. We go to the 2nd room, not only was it exactly what I had booked, but it also had a welcome card in it with our name on it, which tells me that this had been our room all along and that she had made the mistake in the first place giving us the wrong room key.... like I said, the multitasking was not working out for her. Mistakes happen, I get that, but don't make me feel like I'm being cheap by questioning it.
Anyway, the (right) room was fantastic, really great. Gorgeous kitchen, lounge area, nice balcony with beautiful views over the pool and ocean, excellent closet space and dressing area. This was a 1 bedroom and it was large, with very well thought out window coverings and bathroom amenities. You could seriously stay for some time here and be very comfortable indeed.
We went to the bar downstairs for pre-dinner drinks, they had a slightly less obvious selection of cocktails but a good wine selection, and although we did not stay here for dinner, the food being served looked very good.
We went for a walk on the beach the next day and watched some local surfing going on, lots of seals swimming as well just off the beach. The pool and jacuzzi area were very clean and not busy at all, there was some lemon/lime water on the side of the pool which was a nice touch as it was hot out there, but unfortunately no cups of any description available to use to drink it.
Breakfast at the restaurant was excellent, we had the benefit of excellent weather and could sit outside, good coffee and a very tasty breakfast.
Overall I am very impressed with the resort and the amenities, I can imagine that it gets much busier in summer than when we were here, but the suites are very well appointed. Just make sure you don't get the one with two side views of the carpark!

ps, I had no issue with the wifi

Room Tip: make sure you get what you booked, book a room with a view (pool or ocean)
1  Thank Tracy P
Erica C, Manager at Dolphin Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Greetings TracyP

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback in regards to your recent visit to Dolphin Bay. Although I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your overall stay, I apologize you were initially provided keys to the incorrect suite. Most importantly, I apologize for the response you received from my Guest Service Agent. This is certainly not how I intend to operate the resort and I will, personally, be coaching her to ensure this does not happen in the future.

Despite this mishap, I hope you had a pleasant visit and we look forward to having you back in the near future. If there is anything that I may do to be of assistance, or if you have any additional comments, please do not hesitate to contact me directly

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Gorgeous hotel and miss it so much! We had an oceanfront 1 bedroom suite and it was one if the best rooms I've ever stayed in. The pool was amazing and we loved the restaurant overlooking the beach....would definitely stay here again. Service was fantastic aswel and the staff couldn't do more for you.

Room Tip: One bedroom ocean view or ocean front all the way!
1  Thank Larasmith1
Erica C, Manager at Dolphin Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Greetings Larasmith1

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor regarding your recent Dolphin Bay stay. Our goal is to exceed all of our guests’ expectations and we are pleased to hear we did so with you. Knowing that every team member you came into contact with provided excellent service makes us all aware that our hard work is paying off. We look forward to welcoming you back to Dolphin Bay in the future.

The Dolphin Bay team

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I was a little skeptical to go to Dolphin Bay after reading a few of the previous reviews, considering they do not have AC and the internet is spotty. However, I am so pleased I decided to. For starters, the Sunset was magnificent from our Ocean View Balcony. My husband and I have decided to move from Northern CA and thought it would be nice to travel down the coast to find that magical place to retire. We were given the name of Dolphin Bay Resort and Spa, not to be confused by The Dolphin Inn. When we arrived the valet and the front desk staff were ever so helpful. It was warm when we got there (probably 85 degrees, which I am told is unusual for the area) but luckily there are ceiling fans in the rooms and a refreshing ocean breeze to help with the heat. We had a nice outside table when we dined in Lido and again the staff was on point. While we were there, we had the pleasure of watching the Chef performing a cooking class outside near what looked like an outdoor grill area. The wine was flowing and the laughter from the class made me want to attend right then. I was able to get information from our server and I will be attending in a couple of months. Our room was epic and, as I mentioned before, the sunset on our balcony with a bottle of wine met all of our needs. The rooms were clean and so comfortable, we slept like babies. The next morning we had breakfast again at the Lido and then decided we needed to stay yet another night. We felt like royalty. I did have trouble getting onto the internet the second night but I was told that they are currently looking on ways to solve the problem property wide. They happily sent a booster to my suite, which helped with the connection, and I was able to look at other places in the area to live. While we did not decide to move to Pismo Beach, we are going to make it a tradition to come back here when we need to get away. And besides my cooking class is right around the corner!! Thank you for the memorable stay Dolphin Bay!

Erica C, Manager at Dolphin Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2013

Dear DeskLady H,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments regarding your recent stay at Dolphin Bay. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed everything about your visit from the room, the views, the restaurant, and the top notch service we provided. We strive to exceed all of our guests’ expectations and I am pleased to hear we did so with you. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to the resort for our cooking class in a few months.

The Dolphin Bay Team

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Room Tip: The Sunset was magnificent from our Ocean View Balcony.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
DolphinBayResort, Manager at Dolphin Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Dear DeskLady H,

The Dolphin Bay Team

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Having picked Pismo Beach as a one night stop over on our California honeymoon road trip, the Dolphin Bay Resort sounded ideal based on the Tripadvisor feedback. Pulling into the car park we had some concerns as it felt a little like a service station, but upon entering reception and seeing the resort any misgivings evaporated. With a room the size of a flat and fantastic amenities we thought the stay would be perfect. Dolphin watching ahead of dinner, we ate at the onsite restaurant and had one of the best meals of the entire trip. Watching the sunset whilst eating such glorious food was a real moment to savour. The reason I had to grade the hotel a 3 rather than 4/5 is down to a couple of issues we had later in the stay. Ahead of checking in I requested a quiet room (and did the same again at the desk on check-in) and all seemed good until we returned to the room and discovered barking dogs in the room below. The barking continued for around an hour and having tried the room below, we contacted the front desk to ask whether they could look into it. They said they would get back to us. We then heard the phone ringing downstairs with no answer (other than the dogs getting louder at the noise) and then nothing. Reception didn't get back to us. All we had was the relentless barking. After a while we rang back and the person on duty told us there was nothing they could do and had left a message. It was getting late by this point and with a long drive the following day we requested a room change. Again, this was more trouble than it should have been and eventually we got one and had to change areas of the hotel completely. Not ideal late at night when you just wanted to relax. My wife also used the on site beautician the following morning and had a far from great experience - but did get her money back after complaining. I don't like to give poor reviews and I can see that the hotel was great, but our experience just didn't hit the mark. My suggestion would be not to allow dogs of this size in rooms (they were large Labradors) and certainly not unattended. The front desk could have been a lot more help too. But that restaurant... Wonderful!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ad-Hok

Dear Ad-Hok,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments regarding your recent stay at Dolphin Bay. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the size of your accommodation and the restaurants’ cuisine. I would like to sincerely apologize that the front desk was not more helpful during the dog disturbance you encountered. Your feedback does not go unrecognized and I can assure you that I will personally address this with the team to ensure it does not occur in the future. We hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you back to the resort so you may experience a more relaxing visit.

Erica Coppola
Director of Hotel Operations

Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Ok I've had it with this place. Just got my bill. 938 a night for the Penthouse five days, a couple of massages 264, room service and a dinner at Lido adds a couple hunskies to the bill. No problem I knew about the charges. Then they slide in a "resort fee" for 20 bucks a day. Apparently the expensive suite charge doesn't cover that. Here lays the problem that you should know. The hotel is right off the highway and the bedrooms are so loud with semi trucks jake breaking exhaust and Harley's roaring up the coast all night. There is No air conditioning in this suite so it's like a hot box torture chamber. The wireless is so bad you cannot look up air reservations they know about this too because they tried to fix it with a router but they don't understand it's their cheap provider. Don't expect Internet in the resort fee. Also do not expect parking in the fee either. As I type this there are only a handful of cars in the parking lot, however in a few hours when you come back there is NO parking because everyone in the town of Pismo comes here to let their dogs walk and crap in the front of the hotel. I counted 13 over breakfast. The hotel doesn't make the front private or regulate who parks on tgeir property. So included in the fee is the pleasantry of the remittence of dog poop in the yard. They do offer free valet but who wants to walk down and wait to get your keys every time? These comments are based off my personal experience, they are striving to be a five star hotel but has a ways to go. The suite is large and beds comfortable, in fact other than the poor quality of the TV's and the most uncomfortable new couch from Target, it's very nice and what I expected. The food for room service was also good. I just do not understand why a place wants to nickel and dime you when they are getting a huge premium in the first place. We were in 421 I wouldn't recommend this penthouse do to the location and proximity to the loud highway. I am typing this on my phone...Internet does not work remember?

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank ShayN

Dear ShayN,

I apologize for the unfortunate circumstances you encountered during your recent stay. We do strive to exceed all of our guests’ expectations and it appears as though we fell short of this goal. Your feedback is important as it helps us improve operations property wide. Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns and if you would like to discuss further, please feel free to contact me directly.

Erica Coppola