“Ocean Palms”

Ranked #15 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
La Crescenta, California
“Ocean Palms”
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Excellent rooms very comfortable, clean, & spacious. The decor was updated and pleasant. There was a microwave and fridge which came in handy. The staff was friendly and helpful. The location is 3 blocks from the beach and within walking distance if you don't have a lot of stuff to carry. Just a few blocks south of the main part of town. Affordable and a good value. Checed out the pool which was also well maintained.
I would definiely stay there and recommend them to friends and family.

Room Tip: I stayed close to the office. The room was quiet and comfortable despite being full to capacity.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank VictoriaCA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Jose, California
Reviewed September 30, 2011

Let's get real: This is not a 5-Star up-scale motel overlooking the ocean. It's not meant to be. But it definitely is a comfortable, clean, convenient, friendly & truly reasonable place that I'd recommend to anyone looking for just that. I requested a quiet upstairs room and got exactly that for 4 nights. Adjacent to but well "below" Hwy 101, it is surprisingly quiet, easy to find, near the pier and many restaurants, with free wi-fi, microwave, fridge and coffee/tea maker, you can't get more "convenient." Bed was firm (not hard) and room service very good. I had good cross-draft ventilation windows; no need for A/C. Heater available for cool nights. (I didn't use.) I found Bob and his nice wife to be truly friendly and reasonable people.

Room Tip: I was in Room 18, upstairs, back corner. Very quiet, very private.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Arcadia, CA
Reviewed September 17, 2011

We are trying to cancel our reservation as I am writing this review. The mean rude man at the front desk told us to buzz off. He said he could not cancel the reservation. DON'T EVEN TRY TO STAY HERE. We are appalled at this reaction to our wanting to cancel a week ahead of time. Their rule is by 24 hours ahead. You may email me at: emailme33800@yahoo.com if you want to find out what happens. I am sickened by this place.

Room Tip: Do not use this hotel
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
oceanpalmmotel, Owner at Ocean Palms Motel, responded to this review, October 1, 2011
I am sorry for the inconvenience this may have cause you. We have reviewed your complaint and have noticed that your reservation was made through a third party internet booking and not directly at Ocean Palms Motel. Since it was a third party reservation you must cancel the reservation with them because we have no authority to cancel them. This is what our front desk manager was trying to explain to you when you asked to cancel your reservation. Again, I am sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused and if you would like more information regarding this matter please feel free to email us at info@oceanpalmsmotelpismobeach.com. But once again, please make sure you are aware of the terms and conditions before making reservations with third party networks.
Saarbrucken, Germany
Reviewed September 11, 2011

This Motel is really good. The owner, Bob, is very friendly. Because it was one of my last nights in the States, he gave me a room for 60$ (tax included). There was a refrigeator, a microwave, a tv, wifi for free and a clean bathroom and breakfast was for free, too.
Thanks, Bob!

P.S.: Forget about Motel6 ;)

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Bachi85
Lahaina, Hawaii
Reviewed July 22, 2011

We stayed here for two nights this week. The motel is located up Ocean View Drive, three blocks from Pismo Pier, near Rosa's Restaurant. Walking to the pier is an easy stroll. It is an older place that has been remodeled. The current owners have done a nice job and the place looks good. Unfortunately, they can't overcome flaws that were created when the place was built. First, the hotel faces towards the mountains, instead of the sea. That was probably a good thing before the Internet, when people drove along the highway looking for places to stay. Second, the rooms are "cozy". Big enough for two (comfortable) double beds or a king, a TV, dresser, and little else. The closet area includes a counter-height refrigerator, coffee-maker, and a microwave. Bathrooms have been remodeled and are adequate. There is no air conditioning, and fortunately, I brought a fan from home. The pool is large, new, and heated, (but just barely). Coffee, Tang, and muffins/sweet rolls are included for breakfast. (We paid $99 per nite with tax).
The biggest problem I had here is there is no view...just a parking lot. If you are looking for a place to sleep, this motel is fine, but as a getaway destination, it is lacking. I would have no problem staying here again, (managers are very cordial), but would prefer to be closer to "the action".

Room Tip: Single story rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Futuremauian
Bakersfield,CA
Reviewed July 21, 2011

I read the reviews of this place before we booked so I already knew it wasnt some posh place. Believe it or not Pismo was actually warm and our room was hot! No air conditioning or even a fan. The bed was really hard so i didnt get much sleep. The towels were also stained and scratchy. There was some good things. Location is great! A few blocks from Pismo's main area, and the freeway is right there, close to the outlets. The pool area was nice too.

Room Tip: ask for single level
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Linda M
La Canada Flintridge, California
Reviewed July 7, 2011

After reading some of the positive and negative comments on the internet, I was really not sure what I was in for. We needed a pet-friendly location and this was the only affordable option left by the time we booked our hotel room.

On arrival at the hotel, we were met by Bob at the Front Desk. He was extremely friendly and our check-in went smoothly. We were placed in the single story section of the motel, so we had no one above us, which was nice. The furnishings are older but the room was very clean...especially the bathroom. We received daily housekeeping. The room had a small refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. We also borrowed a fan from housekeeping for the warmer days. The wireless internet was easy to connect to. While it is true that the facility is older, the cleanliness of the room and the friendliness of the staff made up for it.

There is a clean pool that was rarely used. It is near the freeway onramp, but they have double pane windows - I wore earplugs just in case. What I really liked is that at the back of the parking lot they have a nice grassy area where I could take my dog. There was a trashcan conveniently located there also. We towed a motorcycle and were able to put our small trailer and bike in a corner of the parking lot that was not conducive for parking cars...but perfect for our trailer and motorcycle. We were very thankful that Bob extended this option to us. (Especially on the holiday weekend)

If I was not taking my dog, I would have booked the Hilton and never stayed here ...but since I love my Bella girl and I had such a good experience here...I will be back to visit the Ocean Palms Motel again in the future.

Thank you to Bob and his wife for their gracious hospitality!

Room Tip: Ask for the single story portion of the building. It is on the ground floow with no one above you...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family