“PISMO HELL!”
Review of Blue Seal Inn

Blue Seal Inn
Ranked #26 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Reviewed August 7, 2009

This is one of the nastiest motel I have stayed at in a long time. I wish I had checked this place out earlier on Trip Advisor and gotten to read the not so glowing reviews. I agree with other reviewers that this place ought to be reported to the Health Department. I m okay living in a shack if I paid $10. But for $110 -- no way! I have two three year olds and I shudder to think that they are lying in the these filthy beds and are now going to get lice. The carpets are filthy. There is no AC or controlled air. Cheap windows with filthy screens are your only option and then you get to breathe the magnificent air of Main St. and hear the associated noise. It got so hot in the evening that I went to turn on the AC and found none. And to my shock, there was no fan either, only a bunch of wires hanging from the ceiling. I called the front desk and complained. The owner/clerk said that no hotel in Pismo Beach has AC (HA!) but he would give us a fan - would that work for us? We got a filthy,dirt-laden table fan which makes noise. And they seemed worried that we would walk away with it after we left........ The "non-smoking " room has an ashtray and cigarette holes in the blankets and sheets. The bathroom is pretty much useless -- the tub has no drain plug, the toilet seat is so rickety that one falls off at the worst possible time (nightmare for newly potty-trained children who will scarred for life). There are few electrical outlets available, the water faucet is filled with lime and the water does not flow properly. I could go on and on. What I mean to say is that one should stay the hell away from this place -- put up your tent on the beach if you have to or shell out the extra bucks. Better still, leave Pismo and drive a mile or so north to Shel Beach and try looking for accommodations there.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank FabTwinMom

Reviewed July 20, 2009

When I booked this motel, it was short notice for a summer weekend at the beach. The next day I saw the reviews and was discouraged...I even thought about canceling our trip if I could not find another place. But alas it was a getaway from the central valley heatwave for my wifes birthday so we decided to go anyways. When we got there, I'll be honest, I was pleasently surprised...it was not at all like the reviews had said. The staff was pleasent, then rooms where fine. I mean come on, for the price we paid I'm not going to be too picky, you get what you pay for and I've been in much worse places for much more money (and not early as nice as Pismo Beach). Nonetheless, we enjoyed our weekend. I wouldn't stay here for more than a couple days, but for a quick overnight getaway, I'd go back again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 11, 2009

Reserved a family suite for the 4th of July online in January. 2 weeks prior to our trip I called to verify our confirmation everything was fine upon arriving we entered the office an hour earlier before check in time the manager there stated our room had been sold because he was trying to get a hold of us and couldn't reach us. We originally had reserved the room for 258.50 internet special and he offered us 2 single bed rooms for double the price 415.00 and that he wanted cash and not my credit card, I didn't budge I then knew he wanted some cash in his pocket at my expense, we had no choice then to take the rooms we had driven 180 miles. Biggest mistake ever!!!! The rooms were filthy,floors were dirty,the so called bathroom door did not lock and they had their own pets keeping an eye out on everyone(ROACHES). That was the worst hotel/motel I had ever stayed at, never have I ever had such bad service,bogus internet specials,and such poor living arrangements for the price of the rooms,ruined my whole vacation. BBB.IRS and the Health Dept. should get involved. And some advice to everyone pay a little extra get a room near the beach it will be well worth it!!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank MonstersLady
Reviewed May 22, 2009

I always try to be impartial in my reviews without acting too biased just based on a stay. I went with 4 friends, who I've traveled with before and have stayed in some "less than classy" places. When we arrived, we met the hotel "manager", who told us that we'd have to pay the money upfront. That was fine, and he charged us the correct rate of $48.00/night (we were going to stay for only one night) as we agreed upon with Expedia. He was very to the point, and the only time he smiled was to seemingly mock us. We got Room #1, which is the very next door to the right of his office.

The first thing we noticed is the sheer disregard the room was in, as well as the smell of mold and cigarettes (I'm a smoker and have no trouble with it, however we took the room because nobody else in my group smoked and we specifically asked for a non-smoking room, which the room was billed as. Not to mention how powerful the odor was, it was as if someone had purposefully smoked an entire pack about two hours before we showed up.) We noticed the ceiling "lamp" was no more than a lampshade glued to the ceiling around a single yellowed light bulb. I'm actually surprised that it worked.

The next thing we noticed was the refrigerator. I usually never care about this part of a room because I rarely use it, however this time we had plenty of snacks and drinks with us. We opened it, to our disgust, because someone else had left their food was in there, and it did not look fresh. It looked like a few containers and bags full of mold. I could handle the scent, but the rest of my party (mostly women) was absolutely horrified. I picked everything in the fridge up and threw it out. When I told the manager about it, he said it belonged to the maid. An obvious cover up, as a place this dirty could not possibly have a maid. He even took the time to come to our room and look inside the fridge after I told him, at which point I told him I threw it out. (Note: When he came from behind the counter, he wasn't wearing any shoes, and walked around his office barefoot.)
I don't need to mention the condition of the room, as the bathroom floor was cracking and peeling off, the bathroom mirror was falling apart, there were randomly patched holes in the wall, the paint was yellowed and these were places where they obviously had painted around objects that were previously there (I know, very tacky), and a TV on a small swiveling stand attached to the wall (which felt like it would fall every time we touched it). We only got an alarm clock and a table with 3 chairs. We didn't want much else from the place.

The beds were uncomfortable and even though I'm used to sleeping on the floor, it gave me (as well as my friends) a backache. It honestly feels like sleeping on an old box spring. The pillows were slightly more plump than a magazine and I slept on my arm for most of the night to give my head a little lift. I would have slept on the floor, but it was unclean. The next morning, we received a "continental breakfast", which consisted of instant coffee, two bagels and packaged danishes, which we gladly took over the bagels because they were wrapped.

A very spartan room, which I would never complain about (especially at the price), if the room was livable. The smell and the overall feel of the room (like it was going to fall apart) made it hard to believe that you would even pay for such an experience. Even if the room was in the poor condition it was in, I would've rated it better with the exception of the stench and the mattress, which could probably result in serious damage if you sleep on them for a few days. I can understand if it's hard to maintain a place when the rates were that low, but the place had many customers (mostly bikers and their pork-bellied girlfriends...no offense) and it seemed like they didn't even try to give off the impression that they cared about you or your problems. For this reason, they won't get any return business. And I should hope that unless you need the lowest price you can find, you would stay away from this place as well.

However, it WAS within walking distance of Main St., the pool (although we never went in) was actually clean (at least, on the surface), the price was low and we were glad that we weren't TOTALLY ripped off, and there were flowers planted, which made the outside of the place look like a decent place to stay. If the old saying is true and you really DO get what you pay for, this was it. Next time I will be less of a cheapskate and go for one of the nicer places on the other side of Main St. I suppose one should never judge a book by its cover.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
5  Thank OrangeJuleas
Reviewed May 21, 2009

I was coming home from San Francisco, decided to stay in Pismo Beach it was a Sunday night we had no reservations and on a budget we picked up the travelers magazine at a Denny's and found a coupon for the blue seal inn. I had always stayed at the nicest 4 & 5 star hotels with my parents, but well they just recently divorced so we were on a budget with my mom. When I saw it I really thought it would be the worst experience ever that it would be smelly and dirty, specially after smelling the lobby, but I was wrong the bathrooms had just been remodel and the room wasn't so bad. I mean it was no luxury but it was fair, it was down the street from the beach. Out of all the times I been on vacations and stayed at the nicest hotels I can honestly say this last one was the best even after staying at this little motel.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank rd2richs
Reviewed October 3, 2008

I wish I had seen these complaints before I booked with Expedia.com.

Made an overnight reservation for my sons. When they arrived, they were told they could not stay there without a credit card. I spoke to the man there who was extremely rude and mouthy, not to mention his English is poor. I told my boys to leave there and warned the man not to charge my bank account since he was not providing a service. I could hear him in the background yelling to my son to tell me that I had just lost money!!!

My boys were left stranded with no room at Pismo Beach...and Blue Seal charged my bank account the $69.00 for the room...plus ripped me off for another $10.50 for a total theft of $79.50.
Expedia.com wasn't much help either!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed October 2, 2008

THE BLUE SEAL INN. PISMO BEACH CA.
STAYED 9/28/08
It was a nice litlle place for the price (50.00). Also just one block away from Pismo beach. I Dont know what all those other reviews are about but this little cosy hotel must have just had its self redone. It had all new fixtures in fanity area and restroom. Nice clean room and very polite staff. We woke up late and they were kind and gave us extra time to check out.. I am a asst hotel manager for a 1405 rm hotel and casino and i know what to look out for in a place and as a habbit i do. It comes with been in the hotel bussiness for 14 years. I could of paid 200.00 a night for a room right on the beach but i choose this place. It looked cozy and we seen that it was just a block away from the beach and all the stores and restaurants and the pier. Again it is just a nice little place for a couple, it was like a cottage atmosfear. we seen the beach from the street it was on so we pulled in. They let us view the room and we saw that it was nice and cozy and clean so we took it. Next time we are in town we will stay there again. It does not have a restaruant or lounge or bar but that is all one block away and it is a nice walk..

ANTHONY