“Best Clam Chowder, hands down !!”
Review of Splash Cafe

Splash Cafe
Ranked #5 of 106 Restaurants in Pismo Beach
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed March 5, 2014

The reviews regarding this café our correct. The bread bowl clam chowder was probably the best I've ever eaten. Heck the wife was even impressed and that's very hard to do. This café is a MUST when visiting Pismo and the pier.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Followed the reviews for the clam chowder to this place on the main tourist drag of Pismo Beach. It was a cool night so a bowl full of chowder felt like the perfect touch. The restaurant has a nice surfer and beach vibe to it with retro-decor, tables, and stools. Young, friendly, chatty workers moving around behind the sales counter. Menu board is simple and easy to follow with the usual selection of deep-fried everything. But we came for the chowder...

We ordered three cups with crab and shrimp combo topping. It's totally worth the extra $ to get a topping as they heap on a generous amount and the crab and shrimp were very tasty. As for the chowder itself...I can see why people like it. It's very buttery and thick with cream. I found it a little too thick, just a touch below "goopy". Let's just say if you were to stick a metal spoon in it rather than the plastic ones we ate with, it'd probably stand straight. But it tasted good. There were nice bits of clam, it wasn't filled with potatoes.

All-in-all, we're glad we tried it. Makes for a nice snack while strolling through Pismo.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Don't know if it was the sweat tender clams or the spicy garlicky sun dried tomato sauce over them but I totally intend to return for more before we leave the area. Hubby had the clam chowder bread bowl with added seafood topping and his only comment, other than it was great, was that the cold seafood on top cooled down the chowder to tepid. If you want it hot, forgo the topping. Bread was a wonderful dense sour dough, a perfect complement to both. There weren't any other choices I would have picked to eat but the place was full for a weekday late lunch hour and everyone seemed happy with their meals. Go with the understanding that it is a small fast food café without table service and you will be happy dining at Splash café.

1  Thank Rebekajean
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

I've been to New England and had the clam chowder. Now this clam chowder is different. It tastes so smooth and creamy. I love it.

The cafe is has a good beach feel. A nice getaway from the pier and work!

Reviewed March 3, 2014

I wish there was a Splash Cafe closer to home. I LOVE the clam chowder bread bowl, the shrimps, and the baked goods! Delicious food and fun staff. The only down side is the small eating areas. It's only a problem if you have small children like I do with strollers. It is always overcrowded but that's because the food is so good! We usually don't mind getting our food to go and eat on the Pier but that's only if the weather permits. If you haven't experienced Splash Cafe then do yourself a favor and GO!